Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Wifi level 1% - Quality 1%
Hi all, I encountered a very tedious problem:

After few minutes (not always the same) the signal goes to 1% both on quality and level. 

My system is Pi4, latest moode (v7), Usb dongle with  8822bu drivers installed flawlessy with this guide:

Code:
sudo wget http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-drivers/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/install-wifi
sudo install-wifi -h
sudo install-wifi

reboot

It recognises the dongle, connects to the net, but randomly goes to 1% and losts the connection.

All I have to do, therefore, is to reboot the system and hope it losts the connection as late as possible.

Wlan0 is disabled.

I have a wifi repeater non further than 2 meters away and when everything is fine the signal quality is up to 97% like the level. 

Any idea of this issue? can someone help me?

Thank you all in advance
(01-08-2021, 07:25 PM)manolomalele Wrote: Hi all, I encountered a very tedious problem:

After few minutes (not always the same) the signal goes to 1% both on quality and level. 

My system is Pi4, latest moode (v7), Usb dongle with  8822bu drivers installed flawlessy with this guide:

Code:
sudo wget http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-drivers/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi

sudo install-wifi -h
sudo install-wifi

reboot

It recognises the dongle, connects to the net, but randomly goes to 1% and losts the connection.

All I have to do, therefore, is to reboot the system and hope it losts the connection as late as possible.

Wlan0 is disabled.

I have a wifi repeater non further than 2 meters away and when everything is fine the signal quality is up to 97% like the level. 

Thank you all in advance

You didn't actually name the USB-WiFi dongle you're using so I can't do my usual search-engine routine.

Not that it matters. Whatever the dongle is, this issue involves it, the RPi model you're using, and Raspberry Pi OS.

I suggest you post to the Raspberry Pi Forum with all pertinent details such as the name of the dongle and the versions of your RPi, of Raspberry Pi OS (10.6) and of the kernel (5.4.77-v7+) --- (the versions I cite parenthetically are for moOde 7.0.1 as it was released. You should doublecheck).  As well, you should provide the output from running the install-wifi script.

Among others who hang out in the Raspberry Pi Forums is "MrEngman", who maintains the driver compilations and scripts at fars-robotics.net that you used.

Regards,
Kent
(01-08-2021, 08:31 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:25 PM)manolomalele Wrote: Hi all, I encountered a very tedious problem:

Code:

sudo install-wifi -h
sudo install-wifi

reboot

Wlan0 is disabled.

Thank you all in advance

You didn't actually name the USB-WiFi dongle you're using so I can't do my usual search-engine routine.

Not that it matters. Whatever the dongle is, this issue involves it, the RPi model you're using, and Raspberry Pi OS.

I suggest you post to the Raspberry Pi Forum with all pertinent details such as the name of the dongle and the versions of your RPi, of Raspberry Pi OS (10.6) and of the kernel (5.4.77-v7+) --- (the versions I cite parenthetically are for moOde 7.0.1 as it was released. You should doublecheck).  As well, you should provide the output from running the install-wifi script.

Among others who hang out in the Raspberry Pi Forums is "MrEngman", who maintains the driver compilations and scripts at fars-robotics.net that you used.

Regards,
Kent
The Realtek chip model is RTL8812BU. I got the source code from https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu and built the driver natively on my moode 7.0.1. It works fine with average throughput 20MByes/sec on 802.11ac. I use iperf3 to check data throughput.
(01-10-2021, 03:12 AM)efung Wrote:

Code:

sudo install-wifi -h
sudo install-wifi

reboot

Wlan0 is disabled.

Thank you all in advance

Regards,
Kent
The Realtek chip model is RTL8812BU. I got the source code from https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu and built the driver natively on my moode 7.0.1. It works fine with average throughput 20MByes/sec on 802.11ac. I use iperf3 to check data throughput.

Really?  That sounds great. 
I will double check the chipset and do the procedure you said.

It would be perfect because, both with the onboard chip and the dongle i cannot go further than 800k/1.1 downloading and uploading files to the pi...

I will let you know
C'mon, folks.

Quoting a number without the test details is like the old George Carlin joke about his TV sportscaster; 'Here’s a partial score from the West Coast – Los Angeles 6.'

An iperf3 test, for example, involves a client station, a server station, and the entire comm chain between the two of them including the communication medium (or media) and any access points, switches, routers, etc.

Here at Chaos Manor East, I get iperf3 results of typically 8MBytes/s - 10MBytes/s between RPi4Bs running moOde, using the stock onboard WiFi adapters on the RPi4Bs, an all-WiFi eero mesh network (2.4GHz/5GHz), access points typically 5m-10m from the RPi4Bs, and a noisy WiFi environment. It's more like 3MBytes/s to my NAS which hangs off a PowerLine Network segment connected to the router driving the gateway eero.

20MBytes/s is impressive. If the RPi it was used with has an internal WiFi adapter, what did you get with it in the same physical location and same iperf3 server?

As for the RealTek chipset, yeah, I could infer that from the named driver, but that doesn't tell me what adapter it's in.

ETA: And we still haven't explained why the OP sees the WiFi connection spontaneously drop to such low numbers.

Regards,
Kent

Code:

sudo install-wifi -h
sudo install-wifi

reboot

Wlan0 is disabled.

Thank you all in advance

Regards,
Kent

Hi @TheOldPresbyope 

here the outputs:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/1p, 480M
   |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
       |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=rtl88x2bu,                      480M
       |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
       |__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12                     M
       |__ Port 4: Dev 6, If 1, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M
       |__ Port 4: Dev 6, If 2, Class=Application Specific Interface, Driver=,                      480M
       |__ Port 4: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M

Code:
RaspiOS 10.6 | 5.4.77-v7l+ #1371 | armv7l (32-bit)

____     __        ____
         __ _  ___  / __ \___/ /__     /_  /
        /  ' \/ _ \/ /_/ / _  / -_)     / /
       /_/_/_/\___/\____/\_,_/\__/     /_/

moOde audio player
             Release 7.0.1 2020-12-23
               (C) 2014 Tim Curtis

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ sudo install-wifi -c

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.
*** Performing self-update
*** Relaunching after update

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.

Your current kernel revision = 5.4.77-v7l+
Your current kernel build    = #1371

Checking for a wifi module to determine the driver to install.

Your wifi module is Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

And it uses the 8822bu driver.

Your Pi revision number is c03111
You have a Pi 4 v1.1
Checking for a 8822bu wifi driver module for your current kernel.
There is a driver module available for this kernel revision.

I hope this is enough Smile
@manolomalele 

Good info, but as I suggested before you need to use it---plus the make and model of the USB-WiFi dongle---to ask the Raspberry Pi Gurus what might be causing the extraordinary drop in WiFi level and quality. AFAICT that's not a moOde issue.

Regards,
Kent
(01-10-2021, 04:55 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @manolomalele 

Good info, but as I suggested before you need to use it---plus the make and model of the USB-WiFi dongle---to ask the Raspberry Pi Gurus what might be causing the extraordinary drop in WiFi level and quality. AFAICT that's not a moOde issue.

Regards,
Kent

Thank you Kent, I will do.

Anyway, this is the dongle: 

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07PMS4...UTF8&psc=1
New issue:
Fresh install (same issue before that, it started yesterday) only with the onboard wifi.
Even if I select my wifi network and validate it, after the reboot it keep starting in AP mode.

I don't understand why.
(01-10-2021, 06:38 PM)manolomalele Wrote: New issue:
Fresh install  (same issue before that, it started yesterday) only with the onboard wifi.
Even if I select my wifi network and validate it, after the reboot it keep starting in AP mode.

I don't understand why.

I think it is because your RPi could not receive good quality WiFi signals or the password you entered was wrong.