Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Rebooting problem
Hi all, after upgrading to moode 7.0.1 (fresh install) I have a new issue.

As you might know I have a pi4 4gb used as a mediaserver with moodeaudio.

Months ago I recased the system and bought an extender SD to microSD.
I removed the resistor (as suggested online) and everything worked smooth.

Few days ago I wanted to try the new version of Moodeaudio, and here cames the trouble.

If I write a new sd it works including reboot.

If I write a Micro SD it boots without problems but, when I reboot it goes like on the picture I attach.

The same MicroSD placed in the raspi boots and reboots perfectly. 
The Issue is clearly the extender.
I need it, without is not possible because the case is a closed one and would be impossible to access the card without opening it... 

The question is:  Why I do have this issue now and not before?

I hope someone can help me

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@manolomalele 

Quote:The Issue is clearly the extender.

I need it, without is not possible because the case is a closed one and would be impossible to access the card without opening it..

This problem is outside the scope of moOde support.

Speaking as a computer hacker rather than a moOde user, I'd suggest

1) try a different extender. They are not all the same.

2) boot from a USB thumbdrive instead of a uSD card.

I use suggestion 2) on a moOde player encased in a Raspberry Pi Touch 2 Case which also occludes the uSD slot. It's only a RPi3B+ so the USB thumbdrive is plugged into a USB2.0 port. This is notoriously slow compared to the USB3.0 ports available on a RPi4B but it works very well for me.

Balena Etcher works fine for flashing the moOde image to a USB thumbdrive.

Regards,
Kent
(01-20-2021, 11:12 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @manolomalele 

Quote:The Issue is clearly the extender.

I need it, without is not possible because the case is a closed one and would be impossible to access the card without opening it..

This problem is outside the scope of moOde support.

Speaking as a computer hacker rather than a moOde user, I'd suggest

1) try a different extender. They are not all the same.

2) boot from a USB thumbdrive instead of a uSD card.

I use suggestion 2) on a moOde player encased in a Raspberry Pi Touch 2 Case which also occludes the uSD slot. It's only a RPi3B+ so the USB thumbdrive is plugged into a USB2.0 port. This is notoriously slow compared to the USB3.0 ports available on a RPi4B but it works very well for me.

Balena Etcher works fine for flashing the moOde image to a USB thumbdrive.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent,

but i disagree on this: 
"This problem is outside the scope of moOde support"

With the same setup moode 6 reboots perfeclty.

Moode 7 doesn't. 

There's clearly something different in the boot management (I guess)
moOde code doesn't perform the OS boot process. Thats done by Linux kernel and RaspiOS. You might want to search or post in the Raspberry Pi forum https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Try downloading the latest raspi OS Lite image (Jan 11th build) and flash to your SD card.  Will your Pi boot from that OK?

Phil

@manolomalele

The screen shot you posted says the firmware in your RPi could not read the FAT partition on your uSD card. This is the boot partition on the card. If it can't read the partition it does not matter whether the card contains moOde or my Aunt Fanny's picture show.

You implicated your uSD card extender but did you ever confirm the FAT partition could be read on some other host? For example, the host you used to flash the card in the first place?

The moOde image posted by Tim has a valid FAT partition. This can be confirmed without even flashing it to a card.

That leaves us with possibilities such as 1) the card is defective, 2) the card was incorrectly flashed, 3) the power to your RPi is inadequate, 4) the contacts in the uSD card slot has been damaged, 5) the uSD extender is crap. None of these has anything to do with moOde.

As an aside, I always recommend using Balena Etcher to flash cards and thumbdrives. It validates the contents of the card after it flashes it, which virtually eliminates possibilities 1) and 2).

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent
(01-21-2021, 11:55 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde code doesn't perform the OS boot process. Thats done by Linux kernel and RaspiOS. You might want to search or post in the Raspberry Pi forum https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

Thank you Tim
(01-21-2021, 11:57 AM)philrandal Wrote: Try downloading the latest raspi OS Lite image (Jan 11th build) and flash to your SD card.  Will your Pi boot from that OK?

Phil

Hi Phil 
I've downloaded and installed latest raspbian os.
It boots perfectly. I then rebooted and it didn't work. 
Updated and upgraded and worked smoothly both on boot and reboot with the extender. 
This proofs that the extender works and so do the uSD.

I cannot do this with moode because it reports an error upgrading chromium.
(01-21-2021, 01:40 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @manolomalele

The screen shot you posted says the firmware in your RPi could not read the FAT partition on your uSD card. This is the boot partition on the card. If it can't read the partition it does not matter whether the card contains moOde or my Aunt Fanny's picture show.

You implicated your uSD card extender but did you ever confirm the FAT partition could be read on some other host? For example, the host you used to flash the card in the first place?

The moOde image posted by Tim has a valid FAT partition. This can be confirmed without even flashing it to a card.

That leaves us with possibilities such as 1) the card is defective, 2) the card was incorrectly flashed, 3) the power to your RPi is inadequate, 4) the contacts in the uSD card slot has been damaged, 5) the uSD extender is crap. None of these has anything to do with moOde.

As an aside, I always recommend using Balena Etcher to flash cards and thumbdrives. It validates the contents of the card after it flashes it, which virtually eliminates possibilities 1) and 2).

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

1) the card is defective, 
No, it works and the issue appears with different cards

2) the card was incorrectly flashed, 
No. 

3) the power to your RPi is inadequate, 
External linear power supply

4) the contacts in the uSD card slot has been damaged, 
I don't think so because plugging the uSD in the pi it reboots

5) the uSD extender is crap. 
It works and it has always worked with moode 6.x

Recap. 
Moode 6.x
uSD in the pi boots and reboots. Same with the extender

Raspbian boots and reboots (after update & upgrade) with and without the extender.

Moode 7.x
Only an Sd card connected to the extender boots and reboots.
Other (SD and uSD) boot ok, reboot doesn't work with the extender. 
No chance to do update & upgrade because of an error on chromium entry.

I keep trying with other oss and let you know. 

Than you anyway Kent
@Tim Curtis @TheOldPresbyope

This is what happens:
Same SD

Pi3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nObf2W4TJ_E

Pi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK3PBLTnWeQ

The pi4 worked smoothly till last week. After upgrading (brand new installation) to moode 7 it doesn't perform reboot (ONLY reboot).