Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Sound Config moOde 7
how is your config? did you change something? do you use Edwards Tweak?
mpd.service -config?

I start with same config as moOde 6. but do not hear a difference.
hi

i would like to know too some good tweaks,   it already sound good .

Edwards Tweak i dont know if they work for moode 7
Thank You

JrbArco
I have tried MANY tweaks with Moode 7 and have spent days trying different combinations.  After all was said and done, I have to admit that standard Moode 7 sounds excellent.  I made a lot of tweaks to 6.7 and Moode 7.01 sound just as good as 6.7 WITH all of my tweaks.

Ultimately the ONE tweak that I would recommend for Moode 7 would be to isolate CPU cores, but the core numbers DO make a difference (don't want to argue this, if you can't hear a difference then I am jealous of you).

First, make sure that you are set to 32-bit Kernal Architecture under System.  Under MPD options, make sure everything is left stock and SoX is turned off.  Previously with 6.7 SoX needed to be ON in order to sound good, but Moode 7 sounds better without it now.

Then under SYSTEM go to SSH Term Server and open the Terminal.

Login is Pi and Password is Moodeaudio.

Type in

Sudo Pico /boot/cmdline.txt

add the line:  isolcpus=1,3 

I add it at the end right before rootwait.

Hit Ctrl-X and save changes by pressing enter.

THEN go to MPD Service

Sudo Pico /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service

Go down to #Launch Params

Add the line:  /usr/bin/taskset - c 1,3

So it should look like this: ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset - c 1,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd -- no - daemon $MPDCONF

Do a CTRL-X and save changes by pressing enter.

Then get out of the terminal and restart the system.

Remember, isolate cores 1 and 3, not 2 and 4.  Don't ask me why because I don't know why it sounds different, but it is very subtle.

-Allen
@WuBai 

I'm not here to argue for or against tweaks---users can decide for themselves---but to make two editorial comments.

1) Linux is case-sensitive in many commands and arguments. The default username and password in moOde are all lowercase.

2) Obviously, isolating cores only works if one is using an RPi model which uses a multi-core CPU.

Regards,
Kent
@Kent

Good catch!  I don't post a lot and usually just browse the forums and gather information.  I've never used Linux before this and your points are very valuable to people like me that might be new to this sort of thing.  Thank you for the clarifications and I am sure they will help others wishing to do some experimenting!

I've made changes to Rpi memory and cpu frequencies, USB latency and many other things.  I've gotten 'clarity' out of these tweaks that make the music have unbelievable separation and sound absolutely like real life.  However, I've also realized that there is such a thing as too much separation and clarity and 'realism' and it does take away the musicality of the songs in a strange way.  There is a balance that needs to be struck and I am very impressed with how Moode 7, right out of the box, does this with almost zero compromise.

-Allen
(01-28-2021, 04:09 PM)WuBai Wrote: [...]

[...]

[...]
Remember, isolate cores 1 and 3, not 2 and 4.  Don't ask me why because I don't know why it sounds different, but it is very subtle.

-Allen

Hi Allen,

when offering code/command instructions it would be good to avoid wrong syntax. ->upper cases in commands do not work in every case.

"Add the line" could also be misunderstood. ->modify/insert in line

I have a question regarding cpu-numbers. Did you try isolcpus=2,4? Because that wouldn't work.

Kind regards, Martin
@Martin,

Please forgive the syntax issues.  I was only trying to help and I think more savvy users can understand my intentions.  I am not an expert of Linux by any means, but I am glad that you figured out what I meant.

I have not used CPUs 2 and 4.  I have used 1,2,3 and 2,3 and 2,3,4 and ended up using 1,3.  I should have mentioned that I am using an Allo USBridge Signature that uses the RPI 3B+ ARM-A53 processor.

Have you tried reducing the USB latency yet?

sudo pico /lib/modprobe.d/aliases.conf

insert line
options snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1

I found the above helped with 6.7 but sounded too sharp with this latest version 7.01

Again, everything is system, room dependent as well as taste dependent.  No hard and set rules in this game as you well know.

-Allen
(01-28-2021, 07:32 PM)WuBai Wrote: @Martin,

Please forgive the syntax issues.  I was only trying to help and I think more savvy users can understand my intentions.  I am not an expert of Linux by any means, but I am glad that you figured out what I meant.

I have not used CPUs 2 and 4.  I have used 1,2,3 and 2,3 and 2,3,4 and ended up using 1,3.  I should have mentioned that I am using an Allo USBridge Signature that uses the RPI 3B+ ARM-A53 processor.

Have you tried reducing the USB latency yet?

sudo pico /lib/modprobe.d/aliases.conf

insert line
options snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1

I found the above helped with 6.7 but sounded too sharp with this latest version 7.01

Again, everything is system, room dependent as well as taste dependent.  No hard and set rules in this game as you well know.

-Allen

no problem. but for unexperienced users it's helpful to enable copy-paste-funktion ;-)

do you know, that isolcpus uses the arguments 0,1,2,3 for quadcore? just asking...because isolcpus=1,3 means isolate 2nd and 4th core.

I use a hat-dac, so usb latency isn't such an issue for me.
(01-28-2021, 07:10 PM)zOr7gA8 Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 04:09 PM)WuBai Wrote: [...]

[...]

[...]

-Allen

Hi Allen,

when offering code/command instructions it would be good to avoid wrong syntax. ->upper cases in commands do not work in every case.

"Add the line" could also be misunderstood. ->modify/insert in line

I have a question regarding cpu-numbers. Did you try isolcpus=2,4? Because that wouldn't work.

Kind regards, Martin

@ Martin and @ Allen

could you let us know, how the correct code/command is? Would be great !!

I do have an Allo USBridgeSignature and actually having issues with 7.01.
No problems with 6.7.1 at all.

But I have not modified anything other than 64bit setting, which sounds audible different/better.

Would like to give 7.01 an other chance, and maybe reducing cores could help.

@ Allen - do you run after the core mod on 32 bit or 64 bit?

Thx.. Manfred
Hi Manfred,

for running mpd-service in isolated cores you have to add something in cmdline.txt and modify mpd.service

Code:
sudo pico /boot/cmdline.txt
add in this line:

Code:
isolcpus=2,3

modify mpd.service

Code:
sudo pico /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service

modify the line
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
to