Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Update OS
Hello,

I downloaded the complete image from the website and installed it on a Raspberry-Zero W. However, when I try to upgrade the OS, the operating system no longer starts.
I use the commands:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Is that ok?
How can I update the operating system?

Many Thanks.
As the download comprises a complete audio playback system for an RPi, I don't understand why you would wish to "update/upgrade" it.
Well, I thought it was a good idea to update an operating system. If there's no way for Moode, I'll probably have to leave it. But maybe I'm doing something wrong?
AIUI, each download contains the RPi Op. Sys. & MoOde app which have been tested together and therefore known to play together (reasonably) nicely  Smile

So on that score, if it works, why buqqer around with it!  Big Grin
Okay, never touch a running system... Wink
(02-06-2021, 10:08 PM)quersumme Wrote: Well, I thought it was a good idea to update an operating system. If there's no way for Moode, I'll probably have to leave it. But maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It is a good idea.

However, Tim has stated elsewhere on this forum that as Moode uses a custom built kernel and modules doing an apt full-upgrade might break things.

I've two Moode boxes here, one using an SMSL Sanskrit 10 MK II USB DAC and the pother an Allo MiniBoss HAT, and neither has ever broken when I've done

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

(retaining existing configuration).

Others haven't been so lucky.

As a minimum, I'd recommend that all users do a

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install sudo
sudo apt install libgcrypt20

to patch the recently-revealed sudo and libgcrypt vulnerabilities.

Cheers,

Phil

And even with these security fixes, don't ever allow your moOde player to be exposed directly to the Internet (and especially not by port-forwarding UPnP, which seems to be popular for media servers). The rates at which the bad guys are probing the Internet for vulnerable hosts is staggering.

Regards,
Kent
(02-07-2021, 04:21 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: And even with these security fixes, don't ever allow your moOde player to be exposed directly to the Internet (and especially not by port-forwarding UPnP, which seems to be popular for media servers). The rates at which the bad guys are probing the Internet for vulnerable hosts is staggering.

Regards,
Kent

Any chances for Moode to be made compatible with

Code:
sudo apt full-upgrade
so the Raspberry OS security fixes can be applied ASAP?
I'm not sure what you mean by "compatible with" because user upgrading or altering the version of the OS that ships with a particular release of moOde can cause breakage and would be impossible to support.

Our project is only able to provide support for the specific versions and combinations of components that are tested and integrated into a given moOde release.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-08-2021, 03:08 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by "compatible with" because user upgrading or altering the version of the OS that ships with a particular release of moOde can cause breakage and would be impossible to support.

Our project is only able to provide support for the specific versions and combinations of components that are tested and integrated into a given moOde release.

Judicious use of

Code:
sudo apt-mark hold package_name

on the kernel and a few other select components should do it.

The problem is, of course, knowing which ones.

Phil