Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Moode does not link up to NAS music library
Hello

After several unfruitful attempts I have still not succeeded mounting my NAS to the Moode Library

Here's my setup :

Allo USBridge and Synology DS216j NAS connected to a WiFi Router (ISP brand) via Ethernet

Usbridge green light is on while yellow light blinks interminently

The music library is stored in the Music folder of my NAS

I am controlling Moode from a laptop with WiFi enabled

In Network Config I can see my Nas and Moode/Nas in Samba mode

I did type in both Nas-name/Music and NAS-IPaddress/Music in the library settings under both NFS and Samba (with ID and PW) but on each occasion I got the error message NAME CANNOT BE BLANK

Here is a screen grab of my network settings. The DHCP shown at the top points to the Raspberry pi, which I am using as transport to the DAC

If anyone has the solution I would at last start enjoying my music ..

The error 'NAME CANNOT BE BLANK' may well be shown in your second screenshot Music Sources where the last field is not filled.  ie it is blank.

Put a name there that identifies your NAS   like 'mynas' or whatever you like and save.

In the Path field did you first use the SCAN and then the drop-down arrow to show the NAS options found in the scan and select the one to use ?
Was one of them something like "Your/Nas"/Music ?

Do expand the info icons at the end of each field for more help.
----------
bob
Thanks for the hint which solved my problem Smile

Path to the music folder on the NAS has been successfully created, as shown by the green tick next to the Music source

I then went on to scan the Music library by clicking on Regenerate. This activated the little spinner on the upper right hand side which went on and on ...

After over 3 hours I did a Restart as the little wheel was still spinning. There was no sign of my NAS Music library in the top left menu ...

How big is your library ? How many albums/tracks?

The library update spinner shows the library being catalogued...when you start the Regenerate there is a pop-up that says "Stay on this page until the spinner stops"
You may have left prematurely.

From the MoOde M menu select 'update library' and see if that works...The spinner will show again and wait until it finishes. Big libraries take time and the speed of your NAS and connection will affect this too.
----------
bob
FYI: The experimental 64-bit kernel causes MPD to crash during database update.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
My NAS library is not big at the moment, less than 7 GB. I kept it small intentionally to see how long it would take to populate Moode.

I was not successful either after rebooting at my 2nd attempt

If I read Tim's post correctly there is no fix at the moment ?
@kromabus

No, Tim's reply is simply a reminder not to select the optional experimental 64-bit kernel unless and until you are ready to experiment with it. We know for sure MPD breaks; we don't know yet what all else breaks. In any case, the 32-bit kernel works just fine for everything moOde needs to do.

Regards,
Kent
(02-21-2021, 12:49 AM)kromabus Wrote: My NAS library is not big at the moment, less than 7 GB. I kept it small intentionally to see how long it would take to populate Moode.

I was not successful either after rebooting at my 2nd attempt

If I read Tim's post correctly there is no fix at the moment ?

Switch to 32 bit kernel and then "Update library"

Then examine the MPD log for errors. MPD logs each file it was able to successfully add to its index and it also logs errors that it encounters trying to add files.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@kromabus

Some performance numbers--- 

I'm looking right now at a OpenMediaVault NAS (running on an Odroid HC1 SBC) which contains about 6200 tracks, mostly in FLAC format, ripped from some 550 albums. About 156GB of the NAS disk space is used. I consider this NAS to be small compared to many of our users' systems.

It took my RPi4B-based moOde player a little under 30 minutes to index this NAS when I regenerated the library. The RPi and Odroid are connected via a WiFI mesh network.

I don't own any Synology gear but I do use a virtual Synology DS3615XS machine for testing purposes. It took me a while to understand the user interface but once I got the hang of it I didn't have any trouble getting both SMB and NFS mounts from it on my moOde player.

Like Tim says, pay attention to the logs.

Regards,
Kent
Many thanks for your collective input ...

I am currently using the default 32-bit kernel config

When I do update the library the NAS folder appears in the top left menu but as nothing happens, it disappears when I restart

I am not very good at using command script in the pi environment

@Tim : how do I get to the command line that is needed to generate the MPD log file ?

I have attached my current system setting for further info