Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Spotify stops after a couple of songs...
I already asked a similar question some time ago (http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2354), but the problem persists, and got worse...
Back then, Spotify stopped playing after a while, but only on my phone (Spotify family account, 4 family members, all iPhones). Now it does the same thing on all accounts...
Does not matter if I (we) connect through an iPhone or a laptop, after a while Spotify simply stops playing. Sometimes after ten minutes, sometimes after 40 minutes, but eventually it stops. 
Since my previous post I changed the cables in my house (RPi with Moode is connected wired), switched from a Netgear to a TPLink router, got a new modem from my ISP and upgraded from Moode 6 to 7. All this time the problem remains the same. In my office and our second home I also have an RPi with Moode player and there the music simply continues playing as it is supposed to. 
The only difference is that at home my RPi (3) is connected to the wired network, the other two are connected through WiFi. 
Does anyone have any idea where to start troubleshooting? Log files I can check or whatever? I have run out of ideas...
Couple of months on and noting has changed really... Apart from the fact that in my home office I switched to Volumio. Volumio has a plugin that lets you connect to Spotify directly (not through Spotify Connect). That appears to be stable. At least, I could play a really long playlist for two days without it stopping. However, Volumio also has a Spotify Connect plugin. When I use that the music simply stops after a while, just like my Moode player. So it appears to be a problem with Spotify Connect rather than Moode itself. I would prefer to use Spotify Connect because the user interface from the Spotify app is much better than Volumio's.
Does the Volumio plugin use the same code as Moode for Spotify connect?
And are there any plans to make Moode connect to Spotify directly?
(05-01-2021, 09:31 PM)arjena Wrote: Couple of months on and noting has changed really... Apart from the fact that in my home office I switched to Volumio. Volumio has a plugin that lets you connect to Spotify directly (not through Spotify Connect). That appears to be stable. At least, I could play a really long playlist for two days without it stopping. However, Volumio also has a Spotify Connect plugin. When I use that the music simply stops after a while, just like my Moode player. So it appears to be a problem with Spotify Connect rather than Moode itself. I would prefer to use Spotify Connect because the user interface from the Spotify app is much better than Volumio's.

I assume that "connect to spotify directly" means that they effectively just load the spotify web player into a window in their interface?  Can't see that being the way to go for moOde myself.

This points to something rather odd with your Spotify account though, if connect keeps stopping after a couple of songs.  You mention there are a lot of people on your account, so I'd first off rule out that none of the other devices are "accidentally" attempting to connect to the same player.  If you can rule that out, then I think you will have to take your chances with the Spotify support folks.
----------------
Robert
I have this problem exactly.

One work around is I used AirPlay to connect from phone vs. selecting a device thru the spotify app.

This seems more stable…but not ideal for android users.

Looking for more troubleshooting advice or if anyone else has this problem.

I read some debugging/log reading in another thread I’ll try.
(10-03-2021, 05:01 PM)dubulup Wrote: I have this problem exactly.

One work around is I used AirPlay to connect from phone vs. selecting a device thru the spotify app.

This seems more stable…but not ideal for android users.

Looking for more troubleshooting advice or if anyone else has this problem.

I read some debugging/log reading in another thread I’ll try.

It will be interesting to hear what you find in logs.

I've listened to Spotify for hours---dozens of tracks---using either the Spotify app on my iPad or Spotify for LInux (available as a Debian package) on my laptop with no interruptions. Both use Spotify Connect to stream to moOde's Spotify renderer (librespot) and have not given me any trouble. Laptop, iPad, and moOde player all connect via WiFi to my ISP's router/access point.

Regards,
Kent
Even after switching modem and router for the second time the problem persists. In my office, where I now use the old router I and the RPi used at home first, Spotify connect works like a charm. I left the music on over the weekend and it was still playing when I got back. But here at home, even with a new RPi player it still disconnects after a random amount of time. 
Airplay is an alternative, but it drains the battery from my phone very fast.
To overcome this, I dug out my old iPad2, kept it connected to power and stream to Moode player over Airplay. Not as flexible as Spotify connect since because the iPad is connected to power all the time, I have to walk over to the device if i want to skip a song or want to change the volume.

Until today that is. I accidentally logged out of Spotify on the old iPad to find I cannot log back in. According to Spotify this is because my device is too old and no longer supported. Good move. So no more Spotify for me. I'm now on a try-out for Apple Music and so far they don't disappoint. 

So the mystery remains, but it will not affect me anymore...
(05-03-2021, 06:04 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 09:31 PM)arjena Wrote: Couple of months on and noting has changed really... Apart from the fact that in my home office I switched to Volumio. Volumio has a plugin that lets you connect to Spotify directly (not through Spotify Connect). That appears to be stable. At least, I could play a really long playlist for two days without it stopping. However, Volumio also has a Spotify Connect plugin. When I use that the music simply stops after a while, just like my Moode player. So it appears to be a problem with Spotify Connect rather than Moode itself. I would prefer to use Spotify Connect because the user interface from the Spotify app is much better than Volumio's.

I assume that "connect to spotify directly" means that they effectively just load the spotify web player into a window in their interface?  Can't see that being the way to go for moOde myself.

This points to something rather odd with your Spotify account though, if connect keeps stopping after a couple of songs.  You mention there are a lot of people on your account, so I'd first off rule out that none of the other devices are "accidentally" attempting to connect to the same player.  If you can rule that out, then I think you will have to take your chances with the Spotify support folks.

I don't know how the internals work with Volumio. The interface is very basic, nothing like the web interface from Spotify. But you might be right.
(11-01-2021, 08:40 PM)arjena Wrote: Even after switching modem and router for the second time the problem persists. In my office, where I now use the old router I and the RPi used at home first, Spotify connect works like a charm. I left the music on over the weekend and it was still playing when I got back. But here at home, even with a new RPi player it still disconnects after a random amount of time. 
Airplay is an alternative, but it drains the battery from my phone very fast.
To overcome this, I dug out my old iPad2, kept it connected to power and stream to Moode player over Airplay. Not as flexible as Spotify connect since because the iPad is connected to power all the time, I have to walk over to the device if i want to skip a song or want to change the volume.

Until today that is. I accidentally logged out of Spotify on the old iPad to find I cannot log back in. According to Spotify this is because my device is too old and no longer supported. Good move. So no more Spotify for me. I'm now on a try-out for Apple Music and so far they don't disappoint. 

So the mystery remains, but it will not affect me anymore...

I guess it is a bit late now, but did you at any time ask Spotify themselves for help?  It still sounds to me like a glitch on your account rather than anything specific to moOde/RPi.
----------------
Robert
So I changed everything sans the RPi Zero.

Upgraded to a RPi Zero W 2 and so far I’m connected via Spotify longer than any other time in history.

Fingers crossed this solves my issue.

Weird that there is some hardware issue on my older RPi Zero that only impacts Spotify Connect
(11-04-2021, 05:16 PM)dubulup Wrote: So I changed everything sans the RPi Zero.

Upgraded to a RPi Zero W 2 and so far I’m connected via Spotify longer than any other time in history.

Fingers crossed this solves my issue.

Weird that there is some hardware issue on my older RPi Zero that only impacts Spotify Connect

Well, the Zero (W) and the Zero 2 W are rather different animals internally. Still, I haven't experienced stoppages like yours with Spotify and moOde 7.4.1 on an original Zero W so I'm not ready to indict on a model-vs-model basis.

Regards,
Kent