Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

ALSA loopback with HifiBerry DAC+ ADC PRO question
Hello,

on one hand I have an Android TV box, Tinker Board and Xbox connected via HDMI to my TV and the headset output of my TV connected to the AUX input of my active speakers (Airpulse A100) via a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable.
On the other hand I have my moOde streamer (RPI 3B+ with IQaudiO PI-DAC PRO on top) connected to the the PC input of my active speakers via RCA.

I would like to avoid switching between AUX and PC inputs with the remote of my speakers each time I want to listen to music with moOde.
My plan is to replace my PI-DAC PRO, which sounds great by the way Smile, with a board having both analog input, which would be connected to the headset output of my TV, and output, connected to an analog input of my speakers via RCA. To achieve this, the HifiBerry DAC+ ADC PRO seems to be a serious candidate.

Until moOde 7.1.0 it seems that you had to  manually switch inputs between local MPD and analog input of the card.
My question is: on moOde 7.2.0, with ALSA loopback enabled in audio configuration, which, if I understand correctly, creates a pipe between input and output of the card, will it still be necessary to switch inputs manually in the moOde interface ?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Romain
The ALSA Loopback option in Audio Config creates a loopback device that enables PCM samples that are being played to be simultaneously read from the device hw:Loopback,1,0. This is meant for things like VU meters, multi-room streaming etc.

moOde includes integrated support for two input capable boards namely the Hifiberry DAC+ ADC which provides an analog input and the Audiophonics 9028/9038 board(s) which provide a digital input. Volume control is also provided for the inputs allowing the devices to act as preamps. The Hifiberry board uses the alsaloop command to route the audio from input to output. The Audiophonics does this routing via a configurable setting in its device driver.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-07-2021, 11:01 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The ALSA Loopback option in Audio Config creates a loopback device that enables PCM samples that are being played to be simultaneously read from the device hw:Loopback,1,0. This is meant for things like VU meters, multi-room streaming etc.

moOde includes integrated support for two input capable boards namely the Hifiberry DAC+ ADC which provides an analog input and the Audiophonics 9028/9038 board(s) which provide a digital input. Volume control is also provided for the inputs allowing the devices to act as preamps. The Hifiberry board uses the alsaloop command to route the audio from input to output. The Audiophonics does this routing via a configurable setting in its device driver.

Thanks Tim, do the HifiBerry DAC+ ADC and DAC+ ADC PRO work the same way, or the support is only limited to the DAC+ ADC please ?
Romain
I don't know how the adc pro works.
Enjoy the Music!
(05-07-2021, 01:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I don't know how the adc pro works.

So Tim, to avoid any misunderstanding, it means that if I buy a standard DAC+ ADC, I won't need to switch manually between analog input and local MPD in moOde configuration ? 
I've asked about the difference between standard and pro versions of the DAC+ ADC board to the HifiBerry support and will post the answer here if I get one.
Correct. You would switch between Local output and Analog input via moOde's Source Select screen. When switched to Analog input the UI will be covered by an overlay similar to those that appear when a renderer for example Airplay is active.

The overlay will display a volume control icon and a button that opens the Source Select screen.
Enjoy the Music!