Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Support for Hifiberry DAC 2HD
Hello, Smile

I saw that there was already a subject that was opened on this. It was closed and if I understood on that date there was no driver in MoodeAudio for the Hifiberry DAC 2HD.

Today is this still the case, I ask the question because I have not seen on the site in the supported DACs the Hifiberry DAC 2HD. Confused
moOde 7.2.0 and higher support I2S audio devices in two ways.

1)  "Named I2S devices". These are devices that have been fully integrated into moOde including providing access to any special features on the device for example chip or device options, input switching, DSP control, etc. Full integration involves working closely with the device manufacturer and requires mutual agreement to do so.

2)  "DT overlay". This is for I2S audio devices that are supported by Linux kernel but not fully integrated into moOde. The DT overlay list is generated by enumerating all the driver overlays continued in the kernel directory /boot/overlays.

Example for the Hifiberrry drivers in kernel 5.4.77

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-23-2021, 12:19 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde 7.2.0 and higher support I2S audio devices in two ways.

1)  "Named I2S devices". These are devices that have been fully integrated into moOde including providing access to any special features on the device for example chip or device options, input switching, DSP control, etc. Full integration involves working closely with the device manufacturer and requires mutual agreement to do so.

2)  "DT overlay". This is for I2S audio devices that are supported by Linux kernel but not fully integrated into moOde. The DT overlay list is generated by enumerating all the driver overlays continued in the kernel directory /boot/overlays.

Example for the Hifiberrry drivers in kernel 5.4.77

There may be confusion on the OP's part concerning the nomenclature used by HiFiBerry.

He may be looking for a driver named "hifiberry-dac2hd".

According to the datasheet for the HiFiBerry DAC2 HD one needs to load the "hifiberry-dacplushd" driver. It's on the list you showed.

Regards,
Kent
I tried this method. It works, but my volume is much lower than on Volumio for the DAC2 HD. Thats using hardware set at 100%.  On Volumio, volume set to 9 'o clock on my preamp. On Moode, it has to be set at 12 / 1 o' clock. Not tested fully, but sound quality seems better on Volumio for this particular device (my opinion) using the dedicated driver.

Also have the Hifiberry DAC +Pro. This device sounds very good on Moode. Using in my workshop.
(05-28-2021, 04:33 PM)3dcnc Wrote: I tried this method. It works, but my volume is much lower than on Volumio for the DAC2 HD. Thats using hardware set at 100%.  On Volumio, volume set to 9 'o clock on my preamp. On Moode, it has to be set at 12 / 1 o' clock. Not tested fully, but sound quality seems better on Volumio for this particular device (my opinion) using the dedicated driver.

Also have the Hifiberry DAC +Pro. This device sounds very good on Moode. Using in my workshop.

Hi CNC,

I received my HifiBerry DAC2 HD a few days ago. Setting it up in moOde was a bit more involved than setting up the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, that I used before. Luckily, I came across your thread, and as a result I have new sound in my living room. 

I noticed the volume drop that you describe. This was solved by SSH into the moOde RPi and running alsamixer from the terminal. Presses on the keyboard up arrow, adjust the volume setting. At least until reboot, which I haven't done yet.  Smile

I hope this proves helpful to you and others with the HifiBerry DAC2 HD.
Very odd.

I assume you configure MPD for Hardware volume. This should result in moOde volume knob automatically controlling the volume you see in Alsamixer.

Whats the mixer name for the DAC? It's printed in the Moode log and should also be shown in Alsamixer.
Enjoy the Music!
Yeah the mixer name is different than most, it's DAC
(06-13-2021, 11:52 AM)Tenbagger Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 04:33 PM)3dcnc Wrote: I tried this method. It works, but my volume is much lower than on Volumio for the DAC2 HD. Thats using hardware set at 100%.  On Volumio, volume set to 9 'o clock on my preamp. On Moode, it has to be set at 12 / 1 o' clock. Not tested fully, but sound quality seems better on Volumio for this particular device (my opinion) using the dedicated driver.

Hi CNC,

I received my HifiBerry DAC2 HD a few days ago. Setting it up in moOde was a bit more involved than setting up the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, that I used before. Luckily, I came across your thread, and as a result I have new sound in my living room. 

I noticed the volume drop that you describe. This was solved by SSH into the moOde RPi and running alsamixer from the terminal. Presses on the keyboard up arrow, adjust the volume setting. At least until reboot, which I haven't done yet.  Smile

I hope this proves helpful to you and others with the HifiBerry DAC2 HD.

Great! I would be interested to know your opinion on a sound comparrison between Moode and Volumio for this particular DAC. I normally prefer Moode, but Volumio sounds very good with this DAC. I need to try your volume setting adjustment for Moode.
Just finished a RPi 3b+ moOde 7.3.0 build with a HifiBerry DAC2 HD (the device name on the Hifiberry product datasheet).  I used the weirdly-named dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplushd in the IS2 device config (maybe the Hfb devs were boxed-in by some previous naming convention?), completed the rest of setup, and I'm now playing back through the moOde UPnP renderer to a JDS Atom amp out to Sony IER-M9 iem's. As usual moOde setup was easy, reliable and pain-free.

Right out of the box I'm 'hearing'/perceiving a kinda squashed dynamic range from mids through highs - not what I expected from Hifiberry's "high end DAC" (their words). It's almost a 'veiled' or faintly muffled result to my ears. I tried a bunch of my own reference tracks so I'd know what to expect for this frequency range.  Soo the question: could lack of full integration with moOde account for this?  I haven't tried it with Volumio yet but will soon.
Full integration simply means providing convenient UI's for the any options the device may provide for example chip options, DSP settings etc. All if these can be accessed by other means and the manufacturer should be able to explain how this is done. Typically chip options are accessed via the alsamixer utility. Other options such as DSP or input switching may require a utility from the manufacturer.
Enjoy the Music!