Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Measurement Sweep - incomplete play
Tim,
Hi. A little background. Running REW measurement sweep to record room sound behavior. I play the wav file using moOde audio player. Hardware are raspberry pi, Allo Piano, Kali. MPD output at 16 bit PCM 48 Hz. This is just for info. I do not not think it is hardware related.
I play the wav file first through Airplay from my Mac. All is fine. I could hear the first time code, then the sweep, and finally another time code.
But when I copy the file onto a USB drive and connect the drive to Pi through USB port on the Pi, then play it in moOde audio player in Chrome web browser, I hear the first time code, the sweep, and no second time code. Tried several ways through a PC, and it is the same. Any insight?
Airplay and MPD are different ways to render the wav file?
The measurement sweep is generated by REW, 2 channels, time codes in the left channel, 16 bits, 48k Hz PCM, wav file.

Additional info for others in the forum:
I attached the REW measurement wav file I used if anyone can help test it out.

.zip   256kMeasSweep_0_to_22000_48k_PCM16_LR_refL.wav.zip (Size: 691.62 KB / Downloads: 0)

First, I tried to play(cast) the wav through the Windows Media Player to the moOde uPnP player. No sound of 2nd time code.
Then, I tried to attach an USB drive to the Raspberry Pi, with the wav file on the usb drive, and play the wav file by using Firefox web browser on my Mac or PC connecting to the Raspberry Pi through Ethernet. No sound of 2nd time code.

I am trying to do Room Equalization Wizard(REW) offline measurement to test my room audio response. But that has no direct relationship with moOde audio except for the audio path of my setup.
I'm not experiencing any issues with the wav files in my test collection nor the FLAC 48K Stereo Test track included in moOde.

When you experience the issue are there any errors in the MPD log?

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log
tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Tim CurtisI'm not experiencing any issues with the wav files in my test collection nor the FLAC 48K Stereo Test track included in moOde.

When you experience the issue are there any errors in the MPD log?

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log
tail -f /var/log/mpd/log

I did not see any error.

I think airplay would have converted 48k to 44k, but that has the 2nd time code.
I played the original file on the Mac’s speakers and that was fine also.
When I played it from the PC, I cast the original file using Windows Media Player to MoOde UpNp renderer, and the 2nd time code sound is missing. Airplay only works with Mac product?
So it seems that when the file is send over the wired network and received by MPD, something happened. It played part of the file? It is puzzling to me.

I checked the log with:
tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
And return the same log but froze the SSH.
Two files are the same. I just shorten the name to make it easier to identify.
Tim,
I saw this bug report on MPD’s site:
https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/issues/824
Any insight? Thanks.
You could zip up the files and post a download link along with instructions on how to reproduce the issue. Maybe someone will be able to repro it.

I'm not having any issues with playing wave files.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-17-2021, 01:23 AM)timedelay Wrote: Tim,
Hi. A little background. Running REW measurement sweep to record room sound behavior. I play the wav file using moOde audio player. Hardware are raspberry pi, Allo Piano, Kali. MPD output at 16 bit PCM 48 Hz. This is just for info. I do not not think it is hardware related.
I play the wav file first through Airplay from my Mac. All is fine. I could hear the first time code, then the sweep, and finally another time code.
But when I copy the file onto a USB drive and connect the drive to Pi through USB port on the Pi, then play it in moOde audio player in Chrome web browser, I hear the first time code, the sweep, and no second time code. Tried several ways through a PC, and it is the same. Any insight?
The measurement  sweep is generated by REW, 2 channel, time codes in the left channel, 16 bits, 48 Hz PCM, wav file.

I've packed up most everything but my Linux laptop in preparation for a move.

However, I just tried following in your footsteps using REW V5.19 on the laptop with Oracle jre1.8.0_291 to generate a L+R-channel measurement sweep file running from 50Hz to 1000Hz adding a timing reference signal on L-channel and setting bitwidth / sample rate = 16bit/48kHz.

Examining the resulting file in Audacity I see a timing reference pulse on L-channel at time=0 but no timing reference pulse at the end. That's what I hear on playback as well---a brief beginning pip on the left channel followed by a frequency sweep on both channels and no trailing pip.

How did you use REW to generate a sweep file with timing reference signals at both beginning and end?

Regards,
Kent
(06-17-2021, 06:58 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You could zip up the files and post a download link along with instructions on how to reproduce the issue. Maybe someone will be able to repro it.

I'm not having any issues with playing wave files.

Ok. I’ll try that.
(06-17-2021, 09:25 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 01:23 AM)timedelay Wrote: Tim,
The measurement  sweep is generated by REW, 2 channel, time codes in the left channel, 16 bits, 48 Hz PCM, wav file.

I've packed up most everything but my Linux laptop in preparation for a move.

However, I just tried following in your footsteps using REW V5.19 on the laptop with Oracle jre1.8.0_291 to generate a L+R-channel measurement sweep file running from 50Hz to 1000Hz adding a timing reference signal on L-channel and setting bitwidth / sample rate = 16bit/48kHz.

Examining the resulting file in Audacity I see a timing reference pulse on L-channel at time=0 but no timing reference pulse at the end. That's what I hear on playback as well---a brief beginning pip on the left channel followed by a frequency sweep on both channels and no trailing pip.

How did you use REW to generate a sweep file with timing reference signals at both beginning and end?

Regards,
Kent
Hey. Thanks for helping out.

Screen shot showing how I create the wav file:

I load the file into Audacity:

REW v5.20 created the 2nd time code I think for the impulse response.

I am going to load the wav file into my original post to see if anyone can reproduce it.

I am also doing offline measurement because I can not connect the REW computer to Raspberry Pi to do online measurement.
@timedelay

So, more changes occurred between REW V5.19 and V5.20_RC11 than I thought. (V5.19 is available to all from the landing page; I had to create an account and login to gain access to V5.20_RC11. Seems like they haven't convinced themselves it's ready for prime time.)

Yes, I now get both opening and closing timing reference pulses in the generated measurement sweep file, same as you do.

I couldn't stop myself from pulling a moOde player out of the nearest packing box and powering it up. It turns out to be running test release 1 of moOde 7.3.0 so not quite the 7.2.1 you likely are running. In particular, this is running MPD v0.22.8_p0x3. 

Still, I scp'ed the newly generated sweep file over to moOde's SDCARD and played it. I hear both the opening and the closing pips.

RPi4B --> Creative Tech USB/BT adapter --> Sennheiser HD4.50BTNC earphones.

Code:
Audio Information
INPUT / OUTPUT
Source        SDCARD/Test/512kMeasSweep_50_to_500_48k_PCM16_LR_refL.wav
Encoded at    16 bit, 48 kHz, Stereo PCM
Decoded to    16 bit, 48 kHz, Stereo, 1.536 Mbps
Destination   Local
Output rate   16 bit, 48 kHz, Stereo, 1.536 Mbps

Regards,
Kent
(06-18-2021, 01:08 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @timedelay

So, more changes occurred between REW V5.19 and V5.20_RC11 than I thought. (V5.19 is available to all from the landing page; I had to create an account and login to gain access to V5.20_RC11. Seems like they haven't convinced themselves it's ready for prime time.)

Yes, I now get both opening and closing timing reference pulses in the generated measurement sweep file, same as you do.

I couldn't stop myself from pulling a moOde player out of the nearest packing box and powering it up. It turns out to be running test release 1 of moOde 7.3.0 so not quite the 7.2.1 you likely are running. In particular, this is running MPD v0.22.8_p0x3. 

Still, I scp'ed the newly generated sweep file over to moOde's SDCARD and played it. I hear both the opening and the closing pips.

RPi4B --> Creative Tech USB/BT adapter --> Sennheiser HD4.50BTNC earphones.

Code:
                     Audio Information
INPUT / OUTPUT
Source        SDCARD/Test/512kMeasSweep_50_to_500_48k_PCM16_LR_refL.wav
Encoded at    16 bit, 48 kHz, Stereo PCM
Decoded to    16 bit, 48 kHz, Stereo, 1.536 Mbps
Destination   Local
Output rate   16 bit, 48 kHz, Stereo, 1.536 Mbps

Regards,
Kent

I have not try to load it to the sd card yet. I will try it. Thanks. I will update after I try it.