Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Bluetooth - Paired but can't connect
Hi All,

New to Moode as of yesterday - Running version 7.2.1 on a Rpi 4 8gb.

Setup went really well, and I've managed to get Spotify Connect and Airplay working just fine, but having an issue with Bluetooth.

I have managed to pair my phone (Samsung S10) using the bluez config but I can't get it to connect for audio.

On my phone's bluetooth config screen, other devices can be opened to change options for connecting for audio, calls, etc. but Moode doesn't have any of these options.

I don't know much about bluetooth so could be way off the mark, but is it possible that Moode somehow isn't announcing that it can play audio via bluetooth? I couldn't see any obvious options to change in the UI.

I have also tried this with my (Win10) laptop with similar results (paired but no connection) and my iPad (didn't connect at all, but I gave up pretty quickly by this point).

Has anyone else had similar issues & been able to solve?

TIA!
I suggest you unpair, reboot your phone and moOde, turn on the pairing agent in moOde if you haven't already, then try again. I find pairing on my Samsung phone to be a bit hit and miss with most devices, and resetting and trying again usually works.
----------------
Robert
(06-24-2021, 08:21 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: I suggest you unpair, reboot your phone and moOde, turn on the pairing agent in moOde if you haven't already, then try again.  I find pairing on my Samsung phone to be a bit hit and miss with most devices, and resetting and trying again usually works.

Thanks for the quick reply - have tried this and got the same result. The phone is paired to moOde but won't connect.
Do you have the BlueZ config set to "MPD Audio output _> local"?
----------------
Robert
(06-24-2021, 10:17 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Do you have the BlueZ config set to "MPD Audio output _> local"?

I do - there was no sound output if I changed it to Bluetooth (assuming this is for outputting audio via bluetooth to another speaker?).

After some investigation Windows also doesn't recognise moOde as an audio output device either, so (similarly to my S10) it will pair but not connect.
(06-24-2021, 10:23 AM)Birdy961 Wrote: I do - there was no sound output if I changed it to Bluetooth (assuming this is for outputting audio via bluetooth to another speaker?).
Correct, that's for connecting Bluetooth speakers and headphones. That's why I though it best to check you didn't have it set.
(06-24-2021, 10:23 AM)Birdy961 Wrote: After some investigation Windows also doesn't recognise moOde as an audio output device either, so (similarly to my S10) it will pair but not connect.
Might be a an issue with the BT adapter on your board. Could you use a different SD card with RaspOS on it and see if you can connect when moOde isn't in the equation?

There might be other less extreme things to try first though. If you wait a bit someone with more chops than I might venture an opinion.
----------------
Robert
I have an iPad Mini and other devices and no issues.

In Audio Config make sure the Pairing Agent is ON and then from the iPad Bluetooth screen tap on "Moode Bluetooth" and it should connect in a few seconds. iDevices don't have a separate pairing process, then perform pair + connect in one step.

Note that Bluetooth signal is sensitive to attenuation by physical substances, 2.4 G interference, etc. For example if your Pi is in a metal enclosure there will be issues with WiFi and Bluetooth signals.

If you want to try command line to troubleshoot then

Code:
sudo /var/www/command/bt.sh --h

pi@rp1:~ $ sudo /var/www/command/bt.sh -h
** BlueMoode version 1.5
** Usage: bt.sh [OPTION]
** -i initialize/reset controller
** -s scan and trust devices
** -l list discovered devices
** -p list paired devices
** -c list connected devices
** -d disconnect device <MAC addr>
** -r remove paired device <MAC addr>
** -P pair with device <MAC addr>
** -C connect to device <MAC addr>
** -D disconnect all devices
** -R remove all pairings
** -h help

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-24-2021, 10:30 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 10:23 AM)Birdy961 Wrote: I do - there was no sound output if I changed it to Bluetooth (assuming this is for outputting audio via bluetooth to another speaker?).
Correct, that's for connecting Bluetooth speakers and headphones.  That's why I though it best to check you didn't have it set.
(06-24-2021, 10:23 AM)Birdy961 Wrote: After some investigation Windows also doesn't recognise moOde as an audio output device either, so (similarly to my S10) it will pair but not connect.
Might be a an issue with the BT adapter on your board.  Could you use a different SD card with RaspOS on it and see if you can connect when moOde isn't in the equation?

There might be other less extreme things to try first though.  If you wait a bit someone with more chops than I might venture an opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion - tried RaspOS and it connected with my phone first time and was able to output audio as expected, so guess that rules out hardware issues.
(06-24-2021, 11:10 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I have an iPad Mini and other devices and no issues.

In Audio Config make sure the Pairing Agent is ON and then from the iPad Bluetooth screen tap on "Moode Bluetooth" and it should connect in a few seconds. iDevices don't have a separate pairing process, then perform pair + connect in one step.

Note that Bluetooth signal is sensitive to attenuation by physical substances, 2.4 G interference, etc. For example if your Pi is in a metal enclosure there will be issues with WiFi and Bluetooth signals.

If you want to try command line to troubleshoot then

Code:
sudo /var/www/command/bt.sh --h

pi@rp1:~ $ sudo /var/www/command/bt.sh -h
** BlueMoode version 1.5
** Usage: bt.sh [OPTION]
** -i initialize/reset controller
** -s scan and trust devices
** -l list discovered devices
** -p list paired devices
** -c list connected devices
** -d disconnect device <MAC addr>
** -r remove paired device <MAC addr>
** -P pair with device <MAC addr>
** -C connect to device <MAC addr>
** -D disconnect all devices
** -R remove all pairings
** -h help

-Tim

I've had a bit of a play around and tried to connect, but still no luck. In command line moOde says the phone is connected but then it isn't in the connected devices list. Not sure where to go from here!

(tried to post a screenshot but that didn't work so well!)
What were your exact steps to connect using RaspiOS?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub