Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Bluetooth speaker in addition to USB DAC
Hi all,

I currently use Moode audio with a raspberry Pi 3 and a USB DAC connected to an amplifier and then stereo speakers. I am very happy with it for MPD, spotify render and AirPlay.

I also have a portable bluetooth speaker, and I was wondering if there was an easy way I can connect and listen at the same time as my USB DAC, so I can take the portable speakers in another room without changing the connection mode. It's okay-ish if there is a bit of a lag between the USB DAC output and the bluetooth output...

Thanks for your responses.
I believe that the Bluetooth renderer and MPD both use the same audio output and so only one can use it at once.
----------------
Robert
I don't know what DAC you are using but mine has a Headphone Jack in addition to the RCA Phono sockets and this Headphone output is live when the RCA Phono output is live.

I have used a Bluetooth transmitter fed from the Headphone Jack to connect a Bluetooth Speaker. The Bluetooth Transmitter I used is powered from a USB Socket but there is a Gotcha! You cannot power the Bluetooth Transmitter from the RPi USB Sockets or from the same 5V Power Source as the RPi. If you do, you will get a very loud Hum on all outputs which I believe to be caused by an Earth Loop. Simply power the Transmitter from a separate USB Power Supply.

USB Transmitters are sold on eBay and Aliexpress for a couple of Pounds, including an Audio cable. for example :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194107588726?...1438.l2649

p.s. I should add that there is a considerable latency on the Bluetooth Speaker caused by the Bluetooth data buffering.
Thanks for your responses. Looks like there is no satisfying solution. I like the idea of the Bluetooth transmitter, but to be honest I'd rather connect my device directly to the Bluetooth speaker rather than using another power source for a new transmitter.