Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Local hard drive remote access
Hi,

I am very new to moode as well as Linux.

I have just installed moode on my PI and I have it working well. I have it set up with all of my music on an old laptop hard drive connected through the usb so I don't have to always have my nas turned on if i'm only listening to music.

I'm now in the throws of designing a case for it all but i'd just like to know if it is possible to access the locally attached hard drive remotely to update the music or would I have to design it so I can remove the drive for updating?

Thanks
@prs999

Your moOde player makes all its music directories available on the LAN as SAMBA shares.

Right now, for example, my test system is advertising
  • 34CD-D727 --- which is a USB thumbdrive with generic label plugged into a USB port
  • NAS --- empty because my test system doesn't have one defined as a music source
  • Playlists --- the directory containing, by default, "Default Playlist.m3u" and "Favorites.m3u" as well as .m3u files for any user-defined playlists
  • Radio --- the directory containing the radio station .pls files (but not the corresponding table in the sqlite3 database)
  • SDCard --- by default containing only the "Stereo Test" directory; may contain other directories if you've created them.
Regards,
Kent
Hi,

Thanks for your help, I'll go with plan A

Thanks again
I found that copying files over the network was very slow. I would recommend testing it out before you make your case.
(08-17-2021, 08:45 AM)jonners Wrote: I found that copying files over the network was very slow. I would recommend testing it out before you make your case.

+1

ETA - Hardwired Ethernet is to be preferred if there's to be major file manipulations.
Big Grin 
(08-17-2021, 01:36 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 08:45 AM)jonners Wrote: I found that copying files over the network was very slow. I would recommend testing it out before you make your case.

+1

ETA - Hardwired Ethernet is to be preferred if there's to be major file manipulations.

I have hardwired, gigabit Ethernet throughout my home and music file transfers to my Pi-4 moOde server are reasonably zippy.  If you're not willing to run hardwired Ethernet for a music server, then you don't deserve to have nice things in your life.   Big Grin
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
Even with the smiley that a pretty trollish thing to say.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-18-2021, 01:37 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Even with the smiley that a pretty trollish thing to say.

I'm pretty sure that people understood I was kidding.  Plenty of people live in upscale apartments, historic homes, dorms, etc. where drilling holes and running cables isn't an option.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
Hi,

Thanks, I ill give it a quick test first.

I normally only upload a couple of albums at once so it should be ok, if I ever need to rebuild the whole library i'll just pop out the drive out and plug it in directly.

I do have ethernet near by so I might just plug it so I am aloud to have nice things in my life again! Smile

I just need to work out a power button kind of thing now, thankfully theres plenty of advice about that on the web
(08-18-2021, 06:56 AM)prs999 Wrote: Hi,

Thanks, I ill give it a quick test first.

I normally only upload a couple of albums at once so it should be ok, if I ever need to rebuild the whole library i'll just pop out the drive out and plug it in directly.

I do have ethernet near by so I might just plug it so I am aloud to have nice things in my life again! Smile

I just need to work out a power button kind of thing now, thankfully theres plenty of advice about that on the web

Like this... Smile
https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-to...spberry-pi
----------
bob