Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Question: Does Bluetooth Output use the Audio output from the DAC Hat?
(09-20-2021, 02:08 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Right. You have like below which should work fine.

Pi-3B -> Samba -> Pi-1B  -> Bluetooth -> Speaker

This setup seems to be working well despite the limitations of the RPi 1B and my use of a generic USB Bluetooth Transmitter There are some limitations to the versatility of the RPi 1B. some of which are expected but some are rather odd. I am posting my findings here for the benefit of anybody tempted to try it

Odd Behaviour:
  • When used with moOde, the RPI 1B doesn't seen to support a USB Hub on either of its USB Ports. I had previously used Four-Port generic USB Hubs on all my RPi 1Bs running Raspbian, with anything from WiFi adapters to USB Memory sticks but none of these nor the Bluetooth adapter work with any of the Hubs.

The symptoms are that the USB Memory sticks are not recognised and while the WiFi adapter works sometimes, the Bluetooth adapter is not recognised by moOde.

All of these devices work perfectly when plugged into the native USB Ports on the RPi 1B
  • My Bluetooth adapter seems to always prefer pairing with the RPi 3B Bluetooth and the only way I have found to avoid this is to switch the RPi 3B off. (Disabling the RPi 3B Bluetooth in System Settings still seems to make the Bluetooth adapter pair with it. Very wierd! EDIT: Please Ignore this sentence. I had inadvertently turned off the WiFi Adapter - NOT the BT Adapter) Once paired with the Bluetooth Speaker, I can Boot up the Master RPi 3B and all works well.
  • When the USB Bluetooth adapter does work on the USB Hub, it sometimes goes "scratchy" and the sound from the Bluetooth Speaker stays distorted until the whole setup is switched off and reset and the Bluetooth adapter returned to the native RPi 1B USB Port.
What works well:
  • With the WiFi and Bluetooth adapters in the two native USB Ports, everything works perfectly:
  • I am able to Samba connect to the Master RPi 3B Library and stream over WiFi
  • Because of the limitation of the two USB Ports of the RPi 1B, I couldn't add local sticks but the one album that I put on the SD Card integrates seamlessly with the NAS Library in Tag view
  • Sound quality from the Bluetooth Speaker connected to the RPi 1B seems no different to that when connected to the BlueZ output from the RPi 3B.
Robin
Pi 1B (ARM6) needs a different USB setting and you will find that in the System configuration tab... Wink 
Once you change it you will find all your USB devices will work.
----------
bob
If you mean the Max USB current setting it was removed a few releases back because according to the Pi dev's RaspiOS always runs the arm6 USB at max current. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...sb_current
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Perhaps he was thinking about the udisks-glue vs devmon choice for the USB auto-mounter?

My personal choice would be to ditch the Pi-1B even if it works and use a Pi-3A+ instead. Inexpensive and better equipped.

Regards,
Kent
(09-21-2021, 06:50 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: Pi 1B (ARM6) needs a different USB setting and you will find that in the System configuration tab... Wink 
Once you change it you will find all your USB devices will work.
DRONE7, Thank you for that. It seems to have fixed the problem with the USB flakiness on the RPi 1B. It now seems to be working with the 4-Port Hub and the Bluetooth adapter plugged into the Hub.
(09-21-2021, 07:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If you mean the Max USB current setting it was removed a few releases back because according to the Pi dev's RaspiOS always runs the arm6 USB at max current. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...sb_current
Tim, I don't think that the problem was with exceeding the current limit on the USB Ports because when I am using the USB Hub on the RPi 1B, I power the Pi by backfeeding from the Powered 4-Port Hub. I did this to avoid blowing the Polyfuse on the MicroUSB Power input socket.
(09-21-2021, 08:18 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Perhaps he was thinking about the udisks-glue vs devmon choice for the USB auto-mounter?

My personal choice would be to ditch the Pi-1B even if it works and use a Pi-3A+ instead. Inexpensive and better equipped.

Regards,
Kent
Kent, Yes that is exactly the setting that I changed and the info below it specifically tells me to do it for a RPi 1B. Rolleyes 

... and Yes, I am going to get another RPi 3B

I now have another problem ... Since turning off the on-board BT device and re-booting, I cannot access the GUI!

Time for a cup of Tea and a re-think!

Thanks to all, Robin
Well, The Tea didn't help and try as I might, I couldn't access the GUI after having turned the Bluetooth adapter OFF on my RPi 3B. It was showing as connected to my Router on the same IP address as always. I also tried connecting it by Ethernet Cable with some strange behaviour. Sometimes it connected on a different IP address but then reverted to the WiFi IP Address. I also tried turning the Router WiFi Access Point OFF to force the Ethernet connection but finally gave up at 2 O'Clock in the morning and resorted to re-loading the SD Card and starting from scratch.

All good now with both the RPi 3B Master and the RPi 1B slave unit. Both are stable and the NAS Samba connection and the Bluetooth adapter on the RPI 1B is working well on the USB Hub now that I have set the USB auto-mounter to Devmon.

Thank you all for your attention and help, Robin
(09-21-2021, 10:23 PM)Wheel_nut Wrote: I now have another problem ... Since turning off the on-board BT device and re-booting, I cannot access the GUI!

I have found the reason why this happened! In    M/ Configure/ Audio/ Audio Renderers/ Bluetooth Renderer, I had left Bluetooth Set to ON and moOde Bluethooth "Set". There is a warning in that panel that "Bluetooth adapter must be physically attached and Enabled before turning this ON otherwise moOde startup will fail".

I had inadvertently left the Bluetooth Renderer SET and then turned the Bluetooth Adapter OFF causing moOde startup to fail. D'OH! Rolleyes Big Grin 

I hope this helps anybody else who encounters this pitfall. I don't know if there is an easier way to recover than my solution which was to re-load moOde on the SD Card and start again.

Robin
You can run the command below to turn off the Bluetooth Renderer so it does not start during reboot.

Code:
moodeutl -q "update cfg_system set value='0' where param='btsvc'"

The reason there is no automatic protection for the condition where BT Renderer is on but no BT adapter exists is that AFAIK there is no test to determine whether a BT adapter exists and is enabled. If there is such a test I'll try to repro it.
Enjoy the Music!
(09-23-2021, 06:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You can run the command below to turn off the Bluetooth Renderer so it does not start during reboot.

Code:
moodeutl -q "update cfg_system set value='0' where param='btsvc'"

The reason there is no automatic protection for the condition where BT Renderer is on but no BT adapter exists is that AFAIK there is no test to determine whether a BT adapter exists and is enabled. If there is such a test I'll try to repro it.

Doh. I never gave this a thought. 

Maybe this?

In a quick test here on an RPi3A+

1. Integrated BT adapter on:

Code:
pi@moode73-3a:~ $ sudo hcitool dev
Devices:
    hci0    B8:27:EB:FB:1A:BE

2. Integrated BT adapter off:

Code:
pi@moode73-3a:~ $ sudo hcitool dev
Devices:

Regards,
Kent
IIRC the use case that doesn't work is when there is no physical adapter present like on the Pi's w/o integrated adapters.
Enjoy the Music!