Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Filenames with quotation marks cause MPD to fail
Hi Kent,

first of all, sorry for that weird band name, which I find to be odd as well. But they make (made?) some very nice music indeed.

I uploaded the file XhXeXreX - but it got me thinking, that file name has a ", maybe mpd (or moode) doesn't like that, so I renamed the file, clicked "update library" and now something else has happened: There's a couple of tracks with "unknown" genre and 2unknown2 artist. So maybe mpd stumbles over quotes in filenames.

A quick 
Code:
find /media/ -name "*\"*"

indeed shows a couple more files, some swing, some blues.
Code:
/media/Intenso/Compilations/The Blues Story/3-4-03 - Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown - Blues Power.mp3
/media/Intenso/Compilations/The Blues Story/3-4-09 - Bobby "Blue" Bland - I Wouldn't Treat A Dog (The Way You Treated Me).mp3
/media/Intenso/Compilations/The Blues Story/4-4-06 - Bobby "Blue" Bland - Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City.mp3
/media/Intenso/Compilations/The Fabulous Big Band Era/The Fabulous Big Band Era 1925-1955 - 3-10 - Take the "A" Train.mp3
/media/Verbatim/S/Sidney Bechet/Compilations/The Fabulous Big Band Era/The Fabulous Big Band Era 1925-1955 - 3-10 - Take the "A" Train.mp3

I shall investigate this further as well. Thanks a million for you help already, I feel we're on a good track here Big Grin

(The downside is I always have to shutdown moode because I never manage to unmount the drives because "the resource is busy"..)

I also feel like I have to apologise for my writing, which is very much stream of consciousness and all over the place, as I am during this while technically "at work" ...
(10-19-2021, 01:56 PM)demian.smith Wrote: Hi Kent,

first of all, sorry for that weird band name, which I find to be odd as well. But they make (made?) some very nice music indeed.

I uploaded the file here - but it got me thinking, that file name has a ", maybe mpd (or moode) doesn't like that, so I renamed the file, clicked "update library" and now something else has happened: There's a couple of tracks with "unknown" genre and 2unknown2 artist. So maybe mpd stumbles over quotes in filenames.

A quick 
Code:
find /media/ -name "*\"*"

indeed shows a couple more files, some swing ,some blues. I shall investigate this further as well. Thanks a million for you help already, I feel we're on a good track here Big Grin

(The downside is I always have to shutdown moode because I never manage to unmount the drives because "the resource is busy"..)

I also feel like I have to apologise for my writing, which is very much stream of consciousness and all over the place, as I am during this while technically "at work" ...

Like I said, I looked up the band---it's from Gent and took its name from a medieval witchcraft ritual, I assume for its shock value. Nobody would pay attention if the name were in Flemish Tongue

I'm embarrassed I didn't notice the quotation marks in the track title. As usual, I was overlooking an obvious problem in search of an obscure one. Let's hope that's the whole problem.

For ASCII-based filenames, anything but a solidus ("/") and a null character is legal in Unix/linux. Unfortunately, punctuation marks can cause heartburn in shell scripts, some parts of MPD, and elsewhere, but I don't recall which characters and which parts. I should have asked if the suspect tracks are indexed and show in the Library view.

As for 
Quote:technically "at work" ...

my boss often thought that about me. It was particularly bad when a new piece of equipment would arrive in our lab. I would drop everything to "make sure it worked." He used to accuse me of always wanting to eat my dessert first. The good news is that I usually managed to keep up with the boring stuff too.

Regards,
Kent
Like I said, I looked up the band---it's from Gent and took its name from a medieval witchcraft ritual, I assume for its shock value. Nobody would pay attention if the name were in Flemish Tongue

That’s certainly true, especially the shock value - as far as I am aware, especially neo-folk is kind of notorious for that. I think I even regal some rituals in some books asking for that specific action (reprints of medieval grimoirs...). But i probably wouldn't strike resemblance for people not somewhat involved / familiar with that stuff. Speaking of funny names, I think I had an issue in the past where I also asked here and we got into a discussion about new orleans (or may dixieland...) jazz, if I recall correctly, someone within your family was involved with that, I might be recalling incorrectly though.

"I'm embarrassed I didn't notice the quotation marks in the track title. As usual, I was overlooking an obvious problem in search of an obscure one. Let's hope that's the whole problem."

In fact, it was - I removed to quotation marks and all genres are working as expected again. It makes perfect sense, as all of the files causing the issue were recent additions to the library and I only now realised the issue.

For ASCII-based filenames, anything but a solidus ("/") and a null character is legal in Unix/linux. Unfortunately, punctuation marks can cause heartburn in shell scripts, some parts of MPD, and elsewhere, but I don't recall which characters and which parts. I should have asked if the suspect tracks are indexed and show in the Library view.

========================================
As for 
Quote:technically "at work" ...

my boss often thought that about me. It was particularly bad when a new piece of equipment would arrive in our lab. I would drop everything to "make sure it worked." He used to accuse me of always wanting to eat my dessert first. The good news is that I usually managed to keep up with the boring stuff too.
=========================================
tehehe, I think as long as we get the "required and necessary stuff" solved and done as well, we should be fine. Luckily no one ever asked why I had to fix my DNS Server again, because the embarrassing answer would be "because I broke it, obviously, by unnecessarily fiddling with it".

Anyways, I truly appreciate your help with that issue and am quite happy about randomly playing swing in the background, with a whole populated playlist and auto-play working as well. Quite an interesting ride, I dare say ...