Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Tagging albums with multiple artists behaving strange.
I have an album with 2 artists that I want to show under both, I tagged it Artist1; Artist2 on the artist tag. Under Artist1 it only shows that as artist and the same under Artist2, I also noticed that if you don't have the album artist tag set also it shows up under Unknown AlbumArtist artist aswell.

Is there something I missed?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I believe that the name that appears in the Album column in Tag view is always the "AlbumArtist". I don't have anything tagged with multiple artists to check with, but moOde does handle multiple artists, hence the filtering finds the track correctly for both Artists in your tag. All Artists would be displayed on the playback screen for that track.
----------------
Robert
It seems that it shows incorrect whenever the album artist tag is being used, if I take audio info on on of the songs the artist tag shows correct but on album artist only one artist is shown.

ArtistsPlacebo, David Bowie
Album artistDavid Bowie

the tags are identical.

the only place where it shows correct is the tracklisting when I browse the library, on the now playing screen it only shows one artist in the list. see screenshots.

edit: this only seems to happen with flac files, adding the same album as mp3 with the exact same tags behaves different.

when I add as mp3 it behaves the same way regardless if I use the album artist tag or not.
formating is different, with flac it seperates with a comma and with mp3 a slash.
it will only show upp under artist1 / artist2 and not the separate artists.

see screenshot 3.

(10-22-2021, 12:53 AM)suhrim Wrote: I have an album with 2 artists that I want to show under both, I tagged it Artist1; Artist2 on the artist tag. Under Artist1 it only shows that as artist and the same under Artist2, I also noticed that if you don't have the album artist tag set also it shows up under Unknown AlbumArtist artist aswell.

Looks ok to me. Each Artist lists the Albums that belong to that Artist. The AlbumArtist is always listed under the Album.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-22-2021, 09:34 AM)suhrim Wrote: It seems that it shows incorrect whenever the album artist tag is being used, if I take audio info on on of the songs the artist tag shows correct but on album artist only one artist is shown.

ArtistsPlacebo, David Bowie
Album artistDavid Bowie

the tags are identical.

the only place where it shows correct is the tracklisting when I browse the library, on the now playing screen it only shows one artist in the list. see screenshots.

edit: this only seems to happen with flac files, adding the same album as mp3 with the exact same tags behaves different.

when I add as mp3 it behaves the same way regardless if I use the album artist tag or not.
formating is different, with flac it seperates with a comma and with mp3 a slash.
it will only show upp under artist1 / artist2 and not the separate artists.

see screenshot 3.

In screenshot 3 (Playback view) multiple artist tags are shown as only Artist... I think it's the first artist thats listed. IIRC we used the same code thats used in the space constrained Playbar where it appears as "Artist... - Title" on one line. I can add to the TODO list to improve Playback view for multiple artists.

As far as tagging differences between audio Formats the main problem is that some tagging utilities erroneously stuff ID3 or ID2 tags in FLAC format which produces odd results.
Enjoy the Music!
(10-22-2021, 12:02 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 12:53 AM)suhrim Wrote: I have an album with 2 artists that I want to show under both, I tagged it Artist1; Artist2 on the artist tag. Under Artist1 it only shows that as artist and the same under Artist2, I also noticed that if you don't have the album artist tag set also it shows up under Unknown AlbumArtist artist aswell.

Looks ok to me. Each Artist lists the Albums that belong to that Artist. The AlbumArtist is always listed under the Album.

If you look at the pictures in my 2nd post it will be more clear

compare how it's shown in the first 2 pictures where I use flac files and the 3rd one where I use mp3 files.
Your best bet would be to zip up the files and either post or PM a download link to @TheOldPresbyope and myself so the files can be analyzed to see if anything is amiss in the tagging.
Enjoy the Music!
(10-22-2021, 12:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Your best bet would be to zip up the files and either post or PM a download link to @TheOldPresbyope and myself so the files can be analyzed to see if anything is amiss in the tagging.

I prepared 2 testfiles that doesn't contain any audio, I'll attach them to this post.

I'm tagging with foobar2000 and I it looks like it only tags with vorbis comments and not id3 tags.

Attached Files
.zip   testfiles.zip (Size: 8.11 KB / Downloads: 1)
I'll need the real files that you used in your screen images. Just PM the download link to Kent and myself.
Enjoy the Music!
(10-22-2021, 01:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'll need the real files that you used in your screen images. Just PM the download link to Kent and myself.

The testfiles produce the exact same behaviour as the "real" ones,

I made updated screenshots with the supplied testfiles.

the first pictures is the flac files only using the artist tag.
the 2nd picture is the flac files as attached.
the 3rd picture is the attached files converted to mp3 with foobar. (I can see they get tagged with ID3v2.3 & ID3v1.1 if it matters.)