Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

In-place update from older versions
I am still using 7.0, the version that I originally installed earlier this year. Can I use the in-place update procedure to go straight to 7.6, or will I need to do a new install? When I click View on the Update it says the update is to 7.1. I don't want to go through all the 7.x versions to get there, but neither do I want to go through the initial setup again. I'm not fluent in command line, but I will use it if necessary and I have detailed instructions. Can I click UPDATE and just sit back while it takes care of business?
(11-26-2021, 05:11 PM)lascala_2a3 Wrote: I am still using 7.0, the version that I originally installed earlier this year. Can I use the in-place update procedure to go straight to 7.6, or will I need to do a new install? When I click View on the Update it says the update is to 7.1. I don't want to go through all the 7.x versions to get there, but neither do I want to go through the initial setup again. I'm not fluent in command line, but I will use it if necessary and I have detailed instructions. Can I click UPDATE and just sit back while it takes care of business?

Hey,

I don't think you can go via update to version 7.6. Neither via user interface nor command line.

Also a fresh install is better every time. Do it maybe with 2nd sd-card. You won't regret it.
Config will surely take some time. But it will be fine.

Also you can export/import radio stations via user-interface.
And you can export/import config via ssh and command line.

Use following command in console:
Code:
moodeutl -e

Afterwards you need to copy the exported file 'moodecfg.ini' from sd-card. Maybe you can use winscp as windows user.

After installing the new system copy file 'moodecfg.ini' back to system. And use the following command to import config:
Code:
moodeutl -e

You will need to go through config afterwards because there are a lot of new preferences. But most of them can stay on default value.

Remember the process of improvement needs a little bit of work time to time ;-)

kind regards, Martin
Gotcha- I appreciate the reply. I will tackle it when I have ample time and patience. It's bound to be easier than the first time, but I still fear hitting a snag that leaves me without music. It would be nice to have a second micro SD so I can save my original until the new one is up and working. Thank you!
For interest, have you done a “check for update” on the System Config page? Does it offer an in-place update?
(11-26-2021, 05:11 PM)lascala_2a3 Wrote: I am still using 7.0, the version that I originally installed earlier this year. Can I use the in-place update procedure to go straight to 7.6, or will I need to do a new install? When I click View on the Update it says the update is to 7.1. I don't want to go through all the 7.x versions to get there, but neither do I want to go through the initial setup again. I'm not fluent in command line, but I will use it if necessary and I have detailed instructions. Can I click UPDATE and just sit back while it takes care of business?

Edit:
I have to correct my answer. Referring to the several announcement posts it should be possible to go via in-place update. Don't know how much steps are needed.
Check the offered file in config.

My suggestion:
When 7.6 is offered I would update this way otherwise i would go for fresh install.
For what it is worth, I just installed a fresh copy of moOde 7.0.0 and then updated it to 7.6.0 in nine cycles of: Check for software update, Install, Reboot.

7.0.0 -> 7.0.1 -> 7.1.0 -> 7.2.0 -> 7.2.1 -> 7.3.0 -> 7.4.0 -> 7.4.1 -> 7.5.0 -> 7.6.0

Many of the update packages are small, a few large, so the cycle times vary. My Internet access is reasonably quick and I was working with an RPi4B so the total elapsed time was quite tolerable. I used the time to read a few tech news feeds and enjoy my coffee.

Candidly, I did this just to confirm it could be done. I would normally just download and flash the latest version of moOde to the same or a different uSD card. I take the /boot/moodecfg.ini approach to configure. I keep meaning to write a script to handle the mundane details such as host/service names and WiFi AP credentials for a new install. The evolving Backup/Restore function in moOde has gotten so good that it is the better alternative for existing installs but I'm old and set in my ways. Rolleyes

Regards,
Kent

PS - Note that your browser caches files from the moOdeUI. It's best to close the browser window each time you reboot moOde after an update and then open a new one to ensure you're using the newest moOdeUI files. Otherwise you may run into odd behavior such as "502 Bad Gateway" errors.

PPS - If you're curious about the evolution of moOde or just have a need for a specific version, the binary iso images are available for versions going back to 4.3 and source code back to 4.0 through releases.
(11-27-2021, 02:45 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: For what it is worth, I just installed a fresh copy of moOde 7.0.0 and then updated it to 7.6.0 in nine cycles of: Check for software update, Install, Reboot.

7.0.0 -> 7.0.1 -> 7.1.0 -> 7.2.0 -> 7.2.1 -> 7.3.0 -> 7.4.0 -> 7.4.1 -> 7.5.0 -> 7.6.0

Many of the update packages are small, a few large, so the cycle times vary. My Internet access is reasonably quick and I was working with an RPi4B so the total elapsed time was quite tolerable. I used the time to read a few tech news feeds and enjoy my coffee.

You inspired me! I am now running 7.6. It took less than 30 minutes and was painless. I am impressed at how smoothly each update completed without hiccups. All settings were preserved. Even my search based on custom categories in the comments field survived all the updates. I was not aware of this update feature –– my assumption was I'd have to flash a card and start anew –– but now that I am I'll stay up to date. Thanks for posting, and thanks to Tim and everyone who makes this sweet piece of software so good.
(11-27-2021, 02:45 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: For what it is worth, I just installed a fresh copy of moOde 7.0.0 and then updated it to 7.6.0 in nine cycles of: Check for software update, Install, Reboot.

Candidly, I did this just to confirm it could be done. I would normally just download and flash the latest version of moOde to the same or a different uSD card. I take the /boot/moodecfg.ini approach to configure. I keep meaning to write a script to handle the mundane details such as host/service names and WiFi AP credentials for a new install. The evolving Backup/Restore function in moOde has gotten so good that it is the better alternative for existing installs but I'm old and set in my ways. Rolleyes

Regards,
Kent

PS - Note that your browser caches files from the moOdeUI. It's best to close the browser window each time you reboot moOde after an update and then open a new one to ensure you're using the newest moOdeUI files. Otherwise you may run into odd behavior such as "502 Bad Gateway" errors.

PPS - If you're curious about the evolution of moOde or just have a need for a specific version, the binary iso images are available for versions going back to 4.3 and source code back to 4.0 through releases.

I attempted to do the same from the webui on 6.7.1. it comes back with 

Code:
A new image-only release of moOde is available. Visit moodeaudio.org for more information.

I read the release notes from 6.7.1 and 7.0.0 and didn't see anything about needing to do a fresh install. I did see the RaspiOS versions were different RaspiOS Buster Lite 10.6 was on 7.0.0 and RaspiOS Buster Lite 10.4 was on 6.7.1. I did see a discussion where the recommended way for RaspiOS upgrade was a new install? I'm likely going to do a new install on one of my moOde setups and keep the config file I used along with other scripts I use to configure a new install.
(11-26-2021, 08:30 PM)zOr7gA8 Wrote:

Hey,

I don't think you can go via update to version 7.6. Neither via user interface nor command line.

Also a fresh install is better every time. Do it maybe with 2nd sd-card. You won't regret it.
Config will surely take some time. But it will be fine.

Also you can export/import radio stations via user-interface.
And you can export/import config via ssh and command line.

Use following command in console:
Code:
moodeutl -e

Afterwards you need to copy the exported file 'moodecfg.ini' from sd-card. Maybe you can use winscp as windows user.

After installing the new system copy file 'moodecfg.ini' back to system. And use the following command to import config:
Code:
moodeutl -e

You will need to go through config afterwards because there are a lot of new preferences. But most of them can stay on default value.

Remember the process of improvement needs a little bit of work time to time ;-)

kind regards, Martin

I was not able to get the moodeutl -e flag to work. It's likely that my version is too old?

Code:
$ moodeutl -e
Usage: moodeutl [OPTION]
Moode utility programs

With no OPTION print the help text and exit.

-a        print features availability
-A [add|rm N]     update features availability
-d        dump session file (requires sudo)
-D [var name]     delete session variable (requires sudo)
-f        print supported audio formats
-F        print full alsacap info
-l        print moode log
-m        run system monitor
-q        query sql database
-r        restart servers
-s        print system info
-t        print last 10 lines of moode log and wait
-u        check radio station urls for playability
--version    print the program version
--help        print this help text

$ moodeutl --version
yes. looks like your version is too old Undecided

I think it was introduced with moode 7.0.

maybe try one inplace update and then the option could be available.