Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Solved: Fresh install Pi-4 rev 1.5 not joining network
Hi

I am trying to set up Moode on a Pi 4 but am falling at the first hurdle - I cannot see it on the network.  I have tried to  follow the setup guide faithfully.

I have the Pi 4 plugged directly into router via ethernet, with a USB DAC plugged into it (Topping D10s).  I do not have a USB drive for media plugged in as I intend to run Moode as a Squeezelite player on my LMS system, initially at least.

I flashed Moode (moode-r761-iso downloaded from the main page https://moodeaudio.org/) to a 128GB SD card (rather big, but it's what I have!).  I have tried this three trimes, fresh downloads with both Raspberry Pi Imager and Balaena Etcher, the process seems to work either way.  This setup & method runs piCorePlayer without issue.

After booting Moode with ethernet, the Pi will not show up on router Network Map (I tried rebooting toer to refresh DHCP) let alone browser.   I have also tried booting Moode without ethernet cable, i.e. to invoke the AP method, but its AP SSID does not appear in wi-fi list on my (Windows 11) laptop.

Any tips would be most welcome.  I have a nagging feeling that I must be missing something very obvious indeed.  One assumption that I am making is that, in ethernet mode, Moode grabs an IP address by DHCP.  Is that right?  

Thanks
Correct. moOde by default just lets Linux ask for an IP address via DHCP for either Ethernet or WLAN.

You will prolly need to examine your Router logs to see why it's apparently not handing out a DHCP address.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-16-2022, 05:33 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Correct. moOde by default  just lets Linux ask for an IP address via DHCP for either Ethernet or WLAN.

You will prolly need to examine your Router logs to see why it's apparently not handing out a DHCP address.

If Moode doesn't get an IP does it go into AP mode?  If so, not quite sure why I'm not seeing it in my wifi list on laptop.
AP mode starts when

- No Ethernet connection is present AND either
- SSID is set to "None (activates AP mode)" in Network Config OR
- No IP address is returned when attempting to connect to SSID
Enjoy the Music!
(01-16-2022, 08:12 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: AP mode starts when

- No Ethernet connection is present AND either
- SSID is set to "None (activates AP mode)" in Network Config OR
- No IP address is returned when attempting to connect to SSID

Thank you.

I am still perservering with ethernet for the moment and am getting closer (and learning new things about my router, thanks to your previous suggestion - I had never ventured into the System Log tab before!) In the DHCP Leases log there I can see that the IP for the Pi 4 is indeed connected with Moode installed (the main network map is misreporting some manually assigned IPs - turns out this is a known issue on Asus routers, which is good to know).

However, even with the correct IP, I still cannot access the Moode GUI.  One thought - how long after first time boot does Mood need to sort itself out, roughly?
Boot time for 761 is typically around 25-30 secs.

Try ping IP_ADDRESS_OF_MOODE from an SSH term on your client

if that works then try
http://IP_ADDRESS_OF_MOODE in Browser

Make sure Browser plugins that might be blocking things are turned off
Enjoy the Music!
(01-16-2022, 11:25 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Boot time for 761 is typically around 25-30 secs.

if that works then try

Ping doesn't work, browser neither (I tried more than one client device). Very strange.

I am clean out of ideas.
(01-17-2022, 07:42 PM)hoverdonkey Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 11:25 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Boot time for 761 is typically around 25-30 secs.

if that works then try

Ping doesn't work, browser neither (I tried more than one client device). Very strange.

I am clean out of ideas.

Sounds like broken system. Would try a new fresh install.

if that works then try

I am clean out of ideas.

If you can successfully ping other IP addresses on your network but only the IP address of the Pi does not respond and you are 100% sure the Router assigned a legitimate IP address to the Pi then it would suggest something external to moOde software for example a network, client or hardware issue.
Enjoy the Music!
(01-17-2022, 07:51 PM)zOr7gA8 Wrote:

if that works then try

I am clean out of ideas.

Sounds like broken system. Would try a new fresh install.

I have reflashed Moode four times now.  I updated router firmware and factory reset it on Monday. The hardware works fine with piCorePlayer.  Weird.

I am really clutching at straws now! I will try another SD card, just in case that's it.  What is size does Moode like?