Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Ability to house REW
Would it be useful to be able to install the latest version of REW directly to the MoodePi so that filters could be created “in-house” for use in Camilla?  SSH in to REW, plug in a mic to the usb and off you go.
Thanks,
Mike
What are the steps for installing, configuring and using REW?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Based on the "success" case reported in https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/instal...bian.6559/ I infer that installing an appropriate Java runtime environment enables the REW Linux Installer to work successfully.

Haven't tried it myself. The REW installer worked fine on my x86-64 LinuxMint laptop last year. It uses a shell script to install/uninstall Java .jar files so seems innocuous but apparently it tries to install an AMD64 Java runtime if an appropriate runtime isn't detected.

From the Downloads section of the REW website

Quote:Linux installer (42.2 MB, includes private Java 8 AMD64 runtime)

Configuring and using REW has been the subject of a number of big books and of threads on the official forum. I used it only once, as an experiment, to see what it took to create a custom filter based on someone else's data. No way I'm going to hardware-up to measure room responses.

Regards,
Kent
This looks like a component that has a restrictive license and can't be redistributed.

Code:
"private Java 8 AMD64 runtime"
Enjoy the Music!
(02-21-2022, 05:10 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: This looks like a component that has a restrictive license and can't be redistributed.

Code:

Dunnoh. It'll take someone more dedicated to REW than I am to figure out any gotchas.
Apart from a usual disclaimer of any warranty, this is the content of the REW EULA.html file I just found in my laptop installation.

Quote:1. LICENSE

By receiving, opening the file package, and/or using Room EQ Wizard, you (either an individual or a single entity) agree that this End User User License Agreement (EULA) is a legally binding and valid contract and agree to be bound by it. If you do not agree to be bound by this EULA do not install or use Room EQ Wizard.

Unless you have a different license agreement signed by John Mulcahy your use of Room EQ Wizard indicates your acceptance of this EULA.

Subject to the terms of this EULA, John Mulcahy grants to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license, without right to sub-license, to use Room EQ Wizard without charge for personal, educational and commercial purposes. John Mulcahy does not transfer the title of Room EQ Wizard to you; the license granted to you is not a sale.
2. DISTRIBUTION

Distribution of copies of Room EQ Wizard is strictly forbidden without the prior written consent of John Mulcahy.
3. USER AGREEMENT
3.1 Use Restrictions

You may not sell, rent or lease Room EQ Wizard.
3.2 Copyright Restriction

Room EQ Wizard contains copyrighted material, trade secrets and other proprietary material. You may not, and may not attempt to, modify, reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile Room EQ Wizard. Nor may you create any derivative works or other works that are based upon or derived from Room EQ Wizard in whole or in part.

John Mulcahy's name, the Room EQ Wizard logo and graphics file that represent Room EQ Wizard may not be used in any way to promote products developed with Room EQ Wizard without the prior written consent of John Mulcahy. John Mulcahy retains sole and exclusive ownership of all right, title and interest in and to Room EQ Wizard and all Intellectual Property rights relating thereto.

Copyright law and international copyright treaty provisions protect all parts of Room EQ Wizard. No program, code, part, image, or text may be copied or used in any way by the user except as intended within the bounds of the program. All rights not expressly granted hereunder are reserved for John Mulcahy.

It says nothing about that AMD64 Java runtime but we couldn't make use of that anyway.

Since REW has all its tooling wrapped up in its own substantial, Java-generated GUI I'm not sure how it could be integrated usefully into moOde even if licensing worked out. If an RPi is to be the host, then I'd think one would want to be running RaspiOS Desktop on it.

And with that I'll retreat to my roost in the bleachers.

Regards,
Kent
(02-21-2022, 04:43 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What are the steps for installing, configuring and using REW?

Tim, 

All i did to try and install it was:
-SSH into my MoodePi
-wget the latest Linux version of REW
-change file props to be executable 
-run it.
*it generates an error, I suspect b/c the base OS for Moode is not completely updated via apt-get (but I’m guessing).

Although REW says it includes a private version of JRE, it only loads that if it doesn’t find the regular current version.  When I tried to load that to my MoodePi, it failed as above.

Thanks,
Mike
(02-21-2022, 05:59 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Apart from a usual disclaimer of any warranty, this is the content of the REW EULA.html file I just found in my laptop installation.

Quote:1. LICENSE

By receiving, opening the file package, and/or using Room EQ Wizard, you (either an individual or a single entity) agree that this End User User License Agreement (EULA) is a legally binding and valid contract and agree to be bound by it. If you do not agree to be bound by this EULA do not install or use Room EQ Wizard.

Unless you have a different license agreement signed by John Mulcahy your use of Room EQ Wizard indicates your acceptance of this EULA.

Subject to the terms of this EULA, John Mulcahy grants to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license, without right to sub-license, to use Room EQ Wizard without charge for personal, educational and commercial purposes. John Mulcahy does not transfer the title of Room EQ Wizard to you; the license granted to you is not a sale.
2. DISTRIBUTION

Distribution of copies of Room EQ Wizard is strictly forbidden without the prior written consent of John Mulcahy.
3. USER AGREEMENT
3.1 Use Restrictions

You may not sell, rent or lease Room EQ Wizard.
3.2 Copyright Restriction

Room EQ Wizard contains copyrighted material, trade secrets and other proprietary material. You may not, and may not attempt to, modify, reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile Room EQ Wizard. Nor may you create any derivative works or other works that are based upon or derived from Room EQ Wizard in whole or in part.

John Mulcahy's name, the Room EQ Wizard logo and graphics file that represent Room EQ Wizard may not be used in any way to promote products developed with Room EQ Wizard without the prior written consent of John Mulcahy. John Mulcahy retains sole and exclusive ownership of all right, title and interest in and to Room EQ Wizard and all Intellectual Property rights relating thereto.

Copyright law and international copyright treaty provisions protect all parts of Room EQ Wizard. No program, code, part, image, or text may be copied or used in any way by the user except as intended within the bounds of the program. All rights not expressly granted hereunder are reserved for John Mulcahy.

It says nothing about that AMD64 Java runtime but we couldn't make use of that anyway.

Since REW has all its tooling wrapped up in its own substantial, Java-generated GUI I'm not sure how it could be integrated usefully into moOde even if licensing worked out. If an RPi is to be the host, then I'd think one would want to be running RaspiOS Desktop on it.

And with that I'll retreat to my roost in the bleachers.

Regards,
Kent

FWIW, my suggestion was just to have MoodePi setup so it would allow installation of REW alongside Moode.  I can’t see much of a reason to have Moode include REW itself as its pretty complicated and you dont’ need it all the time at least for room comp.  But it seems there are some things in the MoodePi OS setup that prevent it from loading the current Linux REW and/or the necessary JRE. I’m just not smart enough to identify them.
(02-21-2022, 05:10 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: This looks like a component that has a restrictive license and can't be redistributed.

Code:

Tim,  don’t think its necessarily worth the time/ effort for you to redistribute at least in short term (would be a cool collaboration though).  But if the MoodePI OS could be configured such that we can install the latest JRE, we could just install the latest REW via SSH and run it that way on an as needed basis.
Got it. I misread your post.

Have you tried installing it on the latest RaspiOS Bullseye Lite? Thats the OS we are using for upcoming moOde 8.

If there are any install errors post the console login and I'll have a look :-)
Enjoy the Music!