Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Not all files in some folders showing in Moode
Hi

I am running Moode 7.6.1 on a Pi Z2W, music is on a NAS (SMB).  Some music folders are missing track, for example:

There should be 12 tracks in this case:

I have tried regen the library three times (lastly with "Ignore CUE files" set to yes, but it did not help).

I would please  be grateful for suggestions.
These types of issues are typically caused by insufficient permissions on the file or its containing directories, some sort of file corruption or missing metadata.

To troubleshoot try looking at the MPD log after doing a regen.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-24-2022, 11:05 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: These types of issues are typically caused by insufficient permissions on the file or its containing directories, some sort of file corruption or missing metadata.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

Many thanks for the lead, I will have a look in there over weekend.
(02-24-2022, 11:05 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: These types of issues are typically caused by insufficient permissions on the file or its containing directories, some sort of file corruption or missing metadata.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

I am currently doing a fresh regen, towards looking at the log for the above issue.

I have been patiently watching the spinning circle for over an hour and am wondering how patient I should be being.  What might be a very rough expectation for my setup?:

Pi Z2W > wifi > router > gigagabit ethemet > NAS (SMBv.1)
Total albums: 1895, Total songs: 26085

NAS is working as normal when accessed over Windows File Explorer.

I am happy if it is several hours, if that's what it normally takes, but it would be reassuring to know that I haven't got any issues in this regard.

Thanks.
Look at the MPD log to determine if its still indexing files.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

If no new records are being added to the log then prolly the activity spinner was not cleared for some reason. Just do a page refresh.
Enjoy the Music!
(02-27-2022, 07:12 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Look at the MPD log to determine if its still indexing files.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

If no new records are being added to the log then prolly the activity spinner was not cleared for some reason. Just do a page refresh.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I should interrupt it with that. It's still happily going!
(02-27-2022, 09:00 PM)hoverdonkey Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 07:12 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Look at the MPD log to determine if its still indexing files.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I should interrupt it with that. It's still happily going!

Not so sure if that "[I]t's still happily going" refers to the indexing operation or just to the spinner. Another way to test if MPD is still indexing is to login to the moOde command line and execute

Code:
mpc

If MPD is still updating its library, the response will look something like

Code:
pi@m8pre4zero2w:~ $ mpc
Updating DB (#2) ...
volume: 28%   repeat: off   random: off   single: off   consume: off

Once MPD is done updating its library, the "Updating DB line" will not be present in the response and you can collect stats on the result

Code:
pi@m8pre4zero2w:~ $ mpc stats
Artists:    724
Albums:     516
Songs:     5855

Play Time:    0 days, 0:06:10
Uptime:       0 days, 18:38:52
DB Updated:   Sun Feb 27 14:51:48 2022
DB Play Time: 20 days, 19:28:50

FYI, it took 9 minutes here to update the library with those 516 albums / 5855 tracks held on a test NAS. The pipeline was:

PiZero2W (moOde 8pre4) -> WiFi -> AP/router -> ethernet -> Odroid HC1 (OpenMediaVault)

This would suggest your indexing could plausibly take an hour or so but several hours and counting seems excessive.

Regards,
Kent
(02-27-2022, 09:28 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 09:00 PM)hoverdonkey Wrote:

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

Not so sure if that "[I]t's still happily going" refers to the indexing operation or just to the spinner. Another way to test if MPD is still indexing is to login to the moOde command line and execute

Code:
mpc

If MPD is still updating its library, the response will look something like

Code:
pi@m8pre4zero2w:~ $ mpc
Updating DB (#2) ...
volume: 28%   repeat: off   random: off   single: off   consume: off

Once MPD is done updating its library, the "Updating DB line" will not be present in the response and you can collect stats on the result

Code:
pi@m8pre4zero2w:~ $ mpc stats
Artists:    724
Albums:     516
Songs:     5855

Play Time:    0 days, 0:06:10
Uptime:       0 days, 18:38:52
DB Updated:   Sun Feb 27 14:51:48 2022
DB Play Time: 20 days, 19:28:50

FYI, it took 9 minutes here to update the library with those 516 albums / 5855 tracks held on a test NAS. The pipeline was:

PiZero2W (moOde 8pre4) -> WiFi -> AP/router -> ethernet -> Odroid HC1 (OpenMediaVault)

This would suggest your indexing could plausibly take an hour or so but several hours and counting seems excessive.

Regards,
Kent

Sorry, "happily going" meant library still updating.

Thanks for the mpc tip, it shows that the update has stopped now:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ mpc
Walton;Latham-Koenig;The London Philharmonic - Portsmouth Point - Robusto
[paused]  #4/4   2:23/6:13 (38%)
volume:100%   repeat: off   random: off   single: off   consume: off
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ mpc stats
Artists:   3128
Albums:    1650
Songs:    16762

Play Time:    0 days, 0:33:00
Uptime:       4 days, 0:27:51
DB Updated:   Sun Feb 27 21:37:49 2022
DB Play Time: 53 days, 22:32:28

My original issue is resolved - possibly I was not patient enough before.

I did not note the start time, but the update must have taken 4-5 hours.  My router suggests that the Pi 2W is getting 2/4 bars signal. Maybe therein lies the problem,  I'll see if I can improve it.

Thank you.
I found the network quality readings in moode (under Network settings/Address assignment).

Moved the Pi Z2W a bit, got signal up to 89% quality (from 49%) and did a new library regen.  Done in less than 40 minutes.
Nice :-)
Enjoy the Music!