Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Wifi Wierdness in Moode 8.0 and 8.01
I use a TP-Link router and where i live WiFi signal is tough. when using Moode 7.61 7.61, i turned off WiFi Smart connect and separated the 2.4GHZ and 5Gz bands for the TP Link. i use the same Comfast USB WiFi Adapter that Tim uses.

i would turn off the Internal WiFi within System and then use the Comfast. Since 8.0 and now wit 8.01, i must keep the internal WiFi on to be able to connect to the 5G as the Comfast will no longer connect to the 5G network.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.
To troubleshoot plug in an Ethernet cable (also leave wifi adapter plugged in), reboot and then post output from the commands below.

Code:
dmesg | tail

ifconfig

lsusb
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-19-2022, 08:37 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: To troubleshoot plug in an Ethernet cable (also leave wifi adapter plugged in), reboot and then post output from the commands below.

Code:
dmesg | tail

ifconfig

lsusb

Unable to use Ethernet where the pi is located. I have a old wifi routerr that can Plug in and control moode you no Intemet.
Tim, I use a Tp-Link Ac-1750 router. If i use one of the TP-Links Mesh extenders, do you think that will help me allow the Comfast to capture the 5g which you to work before Mode 8.0?
It sounds like Tim is hoping you can give him some log information from your rpi as it tries to connect.

Could you connect a laptop directly to your rpi (over ethernet, in a very small private network)? Or, perhaps via a serial console cable?
I don't have any experience with Mesh networking products.

It's not obvious to me why the CF adapter can't connect to your Router while the internal Pi adapter works fine. I have 4 Pi's with CF adapters and no issues.

I'd prolly just stick with the Pi internal adapter.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Lizard_King

Note it is the nature of the physics of radio transmissions that, other things being equal, 5GHz WiFi won't communicate over as long a distance as 2.4GHz will nor will it penetrate obstructions as effectively.

Using a dual-band mesh extender may suffice in your situation although I thought they would require a mesh-enabled router/AP. I ran an eero6 mesh network for six months in my townhouse last year and had good luck using it with moOde players, laptops, and Roku streamers.

As an alternative, have you considered using a pair of powerline network adapters to bridge between your router/AP and your moOde player? Perhaps your particular situation precludes using them but I have found them to be very effective. I used them in one case to bridge between floors in a townhouse and in another case to bridge between rooms on opposite ends of a large house. Even now, they are very helpful feeding an ethernet switch connected to a desktop computer, ethernet-only NAS, and ethernet-only laser printer in a workspace I can't reach from the router with an ethernet cable. Everything else in the house, including all test and production moOde players, is on WiFi.

Regards,
Kent
(03-22-2022, 01:54 AM)Kent, Thanks for your response. What do you think about this? TheOldPresbyope Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L85MFNY/ref...UTF8&psc=1

@Lizard_King

Note it is the nature of the physics of radio transmissions that, other things being equal, 5GHz WiFi won't communicate over as long a distance as 2.4GHz will nor will it penetrate obstructions as effectively.

Using a dual-band mesh extender may suffice in your situation although I thought they would require a mesh-enabled router/AP. I ran an eero6 mesh network for six months in my townhouse last year and had good luck using it with moOde players, laptops, and Roku streamers.

As an alternative, have you considered using a pair of powerline network adapters to bridge between your router/AP and your moOde player? Perhaps your particular situation precludes using them but I have found them to be very effective. I used them in one case to bridge between floors in a townhouse and in another case to bridge between rooms on opposite ends of a large house. Even now, they are very helpful feeding an ethernet switch connected to a desktop computer, ethernet-only NAS, and ethernet-only laser printer in a workspace I can't reach from the router with an ethernet cable. Everything else in the house, including all test and production moOde players, is on WiFi.

Regards,
Kent
@Lizard_King

I have no experience using a combination Powerline Ethernet/WiFi extender but the specs look good and TP-Link is a respected brand.

My Netgear Powerline adapters are Ethernet only and nearly a decade old now. They work well enough in my application but were I to buy now I'd give the TP-Link product line serious consideration.

Regards,
Kent
(03-23-2022, 01:55 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Lizard_King

I have no experience using a combination Powerline Ethernet/WiFi extender but the specs look good and TP-Link is a respected brand.

My Netgear Powerline adapters are Ethernet only and nearly a decade old now. They work well enough in my application but were I to buy now I'd give the TP-Link product line serious consideration.

Regards,
Kent

I have a number of TP-Link AV1000 Powerline adapters spread around the house, including the UK version of that WiFi extender, and they work very well. The worst link in my setup runs about 150Mb/s and most are about 5-600Mb/s.

Colin