Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: DAB+ radio board support
Hi,

It might be old school but I still like radio and as Raspberry PI is good at nearly everything ;-). I have found this HAT for it:

uGreen DAB+ board

It might be possible to add support for it and get some simple radio functionality like Favourites stations and simple tunning option?
I like radio too. Obtained both amateur and commercial radio operator licenses before I got my driver's license, ran my college's radio station, yada yada yada.

Since DAB+ and its predecessor DAB technology have not been accepted by the FCC here in the US, there's no chance I could even test such a tie-in with moOde, let alone develop one. [1]

Someone in a geographical area where this technology is in use would have to develop the necessary software and support it. All the usual caveats about open source apply if it's intended to be distributed as part of moOde.

Regards,
Kent

[1] we do have so-called HD Radio which broadcasts digital subchannels alongside the main, analog channel of an FM (more rarely, AM) radio station. Nice to have in the car, but pretty much all the same channels are available to me over the Internet at home so an HD-Radio tie-in to moOde isn't very interesting to me.
Hello,
I am "old school" too: I normally listen to DAB and DAB+ radio via moOde, using "welle-cli".
Please have a look to the following thread.
I am using an RTL-SDR usb and have modified a little the process.
Do not hesitate to ask for any problem or question.
Best regards,
Francesco
PS.: to do not have any interaction with the moOde process, I have decide to build a separate rpi "Radio Server" to stream to the listening moOde any FM, DAB and DVB-T radio.
(03-27-2022, 02:56 PM)fdealexa Wrote: Hello,
I am "old school" too: I normally listen to DAB and DAB+ radio via moOde, using "welle-cli".
Best regards,
Francesco
PS.: to do not have any interaction with the moOde process, I have decide to build a separate rpi "Radio Server" to stream to the listening moOde any FM, DAB and DVB-T radio.

My bad. I'd forgotten about your HowToDo thread, Francesco.

Another manifestation of Old Timers Disease Tongue

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent,
the thread related to DAB was not mine.
We are experienced not old.
Regards,
Francesco
(03-27-2022, 05:33 PM)fdealexa Wrote: Hi Kent,
the thread related to DAB was not mine.
We are experienced not old.
Regards,
Francesco

Ah, I just did a search on "DAB" and "fdealexa" and the thread popped up. Sadly I didn't check its provenance.

So I own an apology to @Peziman as well. My batting average keeps getting lower.

Regards,
Kent
Best regards,
Francesco

Cool, are you talking about: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/ ?
Yeah born in the USA ;-)? no offence at all guys, here down under we 10 years behind mainstream so maybe DAB+ is already old school really ;-).
(03-28-2022, 03:04 AM)Relocated2007 Wrote:
Best regards,
Francesco

Cool, are you talking about: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/ ?

Yes, relocated2007.
They are compatible  for all the applications and they have a metallic chassis (good for the temperature).
Regards,
Francesco
(03-28-2022, 05:49 AM)fdealexa Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 03:04 AM)Relocated2007 Wrote:
Best regards,
Francesco

Yes, relocated2007.
They are compatible  for all the applications and they have a metallic chassis (good for the temperature).
Regards,
Francesco

That is a good point, however, I still prefer HAT. I bought Noctua 5cm fan for RP4 (overkill but it is worth it)  and is freezing cold runs at 40C all the time. Sound chill too ;-))