Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Configuration backup issue with WiFi password
Bug 
Hi,

Generated backup configuration is zero bytes when I add a WiFi password that contains certain characters. The backup file fails to properly generate when WiFi password contains any characters from the following set &()`|'\;"<>  . This issue occurred on last 7.x release and is occurring in 8.x .

I did not test all possible characters. I quickly tested the following set of characters ~`!#$%^&*()_+-={}|[]\:";'<>?,./@
Will investigate.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-27-2022, 07:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Will investigate.

Thanks for looking at it.

It wouldn't be the biggest problem to save the config without a password if the Pi could later be connected to a keyboard and mouse or to Ethernet just to restore the WiFi config. It is frustrating with Zero 2 W because of a need for a usb hub/usb hub plus adapter. 

I tried saving the config without the WiFi password, unzipping the config, modifying the config to add the password, zipping the folder, trying to restore the modified config. That didn't work, and in fact a lot of restore options were unavailable.

Moving from 7 to 8 I ended up saving the config without a password (I wasn't going to modify my network setup etc), using that config backup to restore everything other than system configuration. Then I manually setup the system again. It was annoying but less annoying than having to manually re-add the radio stations and DSP.

I looked at all of this a few days ago now. But, if I recall correctly there was also an issue of having a special character in the WiFi password in the first boot moode config. I didn't test anything more than my WiFi password so I don't know what set of special characters have a problem there. For this it is possible that I didn't wait long enough but I think I waited 5 min and Pi had not joined the WiFi network at that stage so I re-flashed the microsd.
(03-28-2022, 03:45 AM)gwurb Wrote:

It wouldn't be the biggest problem to save the config without a password if the Pi could later be connected to a keyboard and mouse or to Ethernet just to restore the  WiFi config. It is frustrating with Zero 2 W because of a need for a usb hub/usb hub plus adapter. 

I tried saving the config without the WiFi password, unzipping the config, modifying the config to add the password, zipping the folder, trying to restore the modified config. That didn't work, and in fact a lot of restore options were unavailable.

Moving from 7 to 8 I ended up saving the config without a password (I wasn't going to modify my network setup etc), using that config backup to restore everything other than system configuration. Then I manually setup the system again. It was annoying but less annoying than having to manually re-add the radio stations and DSP.

I looked at all of this a few days ago now. But, if I recall correctly there was also an issue of having a special character in the WiFi password in the  first boot moode config. I didn't test anything more than my WiFi password so I don't know what set of special characters have a problem there. For this it is possible that I didn't wait long enough but I think I waited 5 min and Pi had not joined the WiFi network at that stage so I re-flashed the microsd.

If you do a full restore without the wifi password, the restored system will come up fully configured but in "AP" mode.  You can then connect to the AP, put the password in and reboot.  Job done.
----------------
Robert
(03-28-2022, 08:28 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 03:45 AM)gwurb Wrote:

It wouldn't be the biggest problem to save the config without a password if the Pi could later be connected to a keyboard and mouse or to Ethernet just to restore the  WiFi config. It is frustrating with Zero 2 W because of a need for a usb hub/usb hub plus adapter. 

I looked at all of this a few days ago now. But, if I recall correctly there was also an issue of having a special character in the WiFi password in the  first boot moode config. I didn't test anything more than my WiFi password so I don't know what set of special characters have a problem there. For this it is possible that I didn't wait long enough but I think I waited 5 min and Pi had not joined the WiFi network at that stage so I re-flashed the microsd.

If you do a full restore without the wifi password, the restored system will come up fully configured but in "AP" mode.  You can then connect to the AP, put the password in and reboot.  Job done.

For some reason that didn't happen. The AP was showing prior to backup restore from a backup without WiFi password. After the restore the AP was gone. The config file in the backup did have the WiFi information, other than the password.