Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Volume goes to Zero on change
Hi,

I primarily use moOde as a UPNP/OpenHome renderer.

I use Linn Kazoo as the control point, streaming from minimserver.

Occasionally, when I adjust the volume of a playing track in Kazoo, the volume will jump to zero.

I typically use the - / + buttons in Kazoo to adjust volume, sometimes the rotary volume interface and I have observed the (volume to zero) issue using both of those adjustment mechanisms and both when increasing and decreasing volume..

I'm using the Default (plughw) ALSA output mode.

moOde ver 7.6.1
(04-05-2022, 02:41 AM)schliden Wrote: Hello,
same probleme as i described in the moode 8 thread.

Hi,

Occasionally, when I adjust the volume of a playing track in Kazoo, the volume will jump to zero.

I typically use the - / + buttons in Kazoo to adjust volume, sometimes the rotary volume interface and I have observed the (volume to zero) issue using both of those adjustment mechanisms and both when increasing and decreasing volume..

moOde ver 7.6.1
(04-05-2022, 02:41 AM)schliden Wrote: Hi,

moOde ver 7.6.1

The challenge is isolating the component causing the issue.

Kazoo - > upmpdcli -> mpd

If volume changes are OK when just using the moOde volume control then it would suggest either Kazoo or the upmpdcli component is causing the issue. In that case you would need to post on their Forums or repos.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-05-2022, 07:51 AM)dad33 Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 02:41 AM)schliden Wrote: Hello,
same probleme as i described in the moode 8 thread.

@dad33, is your problem using the built in moOde volume control or with a UPNP control app like Kazoo ?

@Tim Curtis I had previously been using Volumio for well over a year in the same fashion, ie. using Volumio as a UPNP/OpenHome renderer controlled from Kazzo.

Although I had some other issues with Volumio, I never had an issue with volume control.

I note that upmpdcli.conf under Volumio employed Audio Control Hooks:

Code:
## AUDIO CONTROL HOOKS
externalvolumecontrol = 1
getexternalvolume = /tmp/getvolume
onvolumechange = /tmp/setvolume

The audio control hooks in moOde: /etc/upmpdcli.conf are commented out, so not sure how UPNP volume control is actually handled in moOde..
When you change volume in a UPnP control point the value gets sent along the path below.

Code:
---client---     ----------moOde--------
Control point -> upmpdcli -> MPD -> ALSA -> Device
Enjoy the Music!
(04-05-2022, 01:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: When you change volume in a UPnP control point the value gets sent along the path below.

Code:
---client---     ----------moOde--------
Control point -> upmpdcli -> MPD -> ALSA -> Device

Thanks.

So no hooks into /var/www/vol.sh required ?

Any logs I can check to try and troubleshoot ?
Thats correct.

You could try turning on verbose logging in MPD Config and then tailing the MPD log. You will be looking for "setvol" commands. These would be sent by the upmpdcli component to MPD.

Code:
tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
I have a problem of a similar nature.
After turning off the USB DAC and turning it on again (raspberry with moode is running 24h / 7), the volume returns to 100% 0dB.
I am using hardware volume control

This is a very big problem, because before I turn on the amplifier I have to click volume + or - - then the level returns to the previously set level before turning off the DAC.

In version 7 moode this was not a problem.
I did a few tests unplugging my Revolution DAC which has a small display that shows the volume in dB and no issues with moOde or the DAC volume being reset to 100%.

What model DAC are u using?

If another user has the same model perhaps they can try and repro your issue.
Enjoy the Music!
(04-05-2022, 06:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I did a few tests unplugging my Revolution DAC which has a small display that shows the volume in dB and no issues with moOde or the DAC volume being reset to 100%.

What model DAC are u using?

If another user has the same model perhaps they can try and repro your issue.
DIY DAC on ak4490, but the most important part responsible for the volume is the USB converter - XMOS DIYINHK. 

I forgot important information. After starting the DAC moode shows the previous level of the dash in steps 1-100. Eg 11 which correspond to -58dB. The problem is that instead of showing -58dB then it is 0dB. I enter the ALSAMIXER, and it really is 0dB. I click +, step 12 appears and the volume is -56dB. Magic...