Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: MoOde as a NFS server
Hey folks,

I searched on here and I didn't see anyone explicitly ask, so I will.. 

Is it possible, either now or possibly in the future, to install NFS so MoODe can host an attached external drive which can then be accessed across the network? I have two MoOde clients, and a third PC which I make my CD and vinyl rips from. Currently all are connected by NFS to a Manjaro Host Laptop I leave on 24-7. Works great. However, the server is dual boot Windows, so my server is down if I need to work in Windows, and secondly the drive is filling up so I either need to clone the drive to a bigger SSD, or find an external solution so I can offload my audio files. 

Thanks again and always appreciate the hardwork! 

David
There is already an SMB share created by moOde of anything that is mounted to it.
----------------
Robert
(05-23-2022, 07:27 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: There is already an SMB share created by moOde of anything that is mounted to it.

This may work, will have to try. Is there anywhere to configure the SMB sharing in the moOde settings? I briefly looked but didn't see anything. 

Thanks! 

David
Have a look at /etc/samba/smb.conf
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-23-2022, 12:28 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Have a look at /etc/samba/smb.conf

Thanks Tim, 

is it possible to install the requisite packages for NFS *for myself* if SMB isn't ideal for my setup?
I prefer to keep my file servers separate from my music players. I use spare Pi’s or other Low-power SBCs.

Any regular Linux distro would do but I looked for solutions where someone else has already done some of the administrative work.

OpenMediaVault is a open-source product—reasonably equivalent in functionality to Synology’s DSM—which I have running 24/7 in armbian Linux on an Odroid HC1 here. 

I’ve also used the minimalist DietPi distro on a variety of SBCs (not just Pi’s). It has a number of installable ready-to-run server options.

Fun fact: some years ago we and the DietPi maintainer explored adding moOde to the collection of  DietPi-software options. There turned out to be clashes in the way each does business and the exploration was abandoned. In retrospect, I don’t think the project made a lot of sense anyway.

Regards,
Kent
(05-23-2022, 01:41 PM)Lttlwing16 Wrote:

Thanks Tim, 

is it possible to install the requisite packages for NFS *for myself* if SMB isn't ideal for my setup?

I haven't done it but this link has some instructions.
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nfs/
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-23-2022, 02:49 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 01:41 PM)Lttlwing16 Wrote:

Thanks Tim, 

I haven't done it but this link has some instructions.
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nfs/

Thanks, just didn't know if those changes would be overwritten with any updates to moOde, or if adding it would disrupt the moOde installation in anyway.
The samba implementation is smooth, and was way easier than NFS to setup on my Manjaro Machines. I'm okay without automount from Manjaro, and was able to easily configure ManjaroB to the USB drive on ManjaroA.

Thanks again TIM!

MoOde again takes the cake!
EDIT: Figured it out: Needed to replace the WWW/ with READYSHARE/. Mounted fine after that.

@Tim Curtis any ideas why MoOde wouldn't mount a smb share on my router? I am able to mount the drive from both windows and manjaro linux without issue.

When I press "scan" in the moOde server window it populates as WWW/usb_storage, which on the pc and linux install it is found at smb://readyshare/usb_storage

Thanks in advance!

David