Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Synology NAS
(07-01-2022, 09:28 AM)EarsOfAnEagle Wrote: One thing to check, is that the SMB version mount flags (specifically the VERS= ) is compatible with the minimum SMB protocol version specified on your Synology NAS. 

In the Synology NAS DSM, the SMB versions are specified here:
Control Panel -> File Services -> SMB Tab -> Advanced Settings
Maximum SMB Protocol  -> SMB3 (or whatever is appropriate for your network)
Minimum SMB Protocol -> SMB2 (or whatever is appropriate for your network)

So in the above case, the Moode SMB Mount flag should specify:
VERS=2.0  or  3.0   as the values are within the maximum and minimum values specified on the NAS.

The default value of 1.0 would/should not work in the above case, so you need to check your specified values on your NAS to discern the proper flag value.
(FYI, use of SMB1 has been discouraged for a number of years)

Alternatively, the vers= flag can be left off the string and moOde will negotiate the highest mutually compatible version.
----------------
Robert
The moodeutl options below can be helpful in troubleshooting Samba networks.

Code:
# moodeutl
-c             Detect highest CIFS protocol version [host or ip address]
-C             Detect CIFS shares [host or ip address]
-n             Detect NBT (Samba) hosts
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Folks, moOde keeps improving in ways that aren't always obvious. (Shout out to Tim!)

If you look at the code which scans for SAMBA shares and connects to them, you'll see changes have been occurring. Consult the release notes. 

Tim has made things even more convenient by adding options to the utility moodeutl so you can see what moOde sees. Quoting from the relnotes for 8.0.2

Quote:- UPD: Add -c (Detect highest CIFS protocol version) to moodeutl
- UPD: Add -C (Detect CIFS shares) to moodeutl
- UPD: Add -n (Run network scan) to moodeutl

Here's some snippets from a 64-bit moOde 8.1.1 player on my LAN:

Code:
# First, let's find some interesting hosts
pi@m81pi3a64:~ $ moodeutl -n
m81pi3a32.local, 10.0.0.209     <- This is another moOde player
DS3615xs.local, 10.0.0.223      <- This is my (virtual) Synology DSM

# Second, let's look at the highest protocol version supported by the DSM
pi@m81pi3a64:~ $ moodeutl -c DS3615xs.local

CIFS version: 3.1.1

# Third, let's ask what SAMBA shares are exposed by the DSM
pi@m81pi3a64:~ $ moodeutl -C DS3615xs.local
Music
photo
video

Whether I tell moOde to use the IP address or the domain name of the Synology NAS, and with no other manual editing of the configuration, I see that moOde has mounted the share using protocol version 3.1.1. Here's a snippet of the output from mount

Code:
pi@m81pi3a64.local:~ $ mount
//DS3615XS.local/Music on /mnt/NAS/DSM-Music type cifs (ro,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=strict,username=Guest,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=10.0.0.223,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,iocharset=utf8,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=61440,wsize=65536,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

moOde no longer blindly sets a vers= option. Instead uses the highest value it can negotiate with the remote SAMBA server. Unless there's something really twee about your NAS configuration, there is no need to manually edit in a vers=x.y value.

Regards,
Kent

PS - I may be a time zone ahead of Tim but I'm always 5 minutes behind him.
(07-01-2022, 11:00 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: PS - I may be a time zone ahead of Tim but I'm always 5 minutes behind him.

You use that extra 5 minutes so well though.

Here is some output from one of my players that has a successful mount to a Synology NAS (at "Claudia.local/music"), but never sees the host in a scan:
Code:
pi@Prometheus:~ $ moodeutl -n
Prometheus.local, 192.168.0.41
Orpheus.local, 192.168.0.43
Claudia.local, 192.168.0.26
Apollo.local, 192.168.0.42
pi@Prometheus:~ $ moodeutl -c Claudia.local
CIFS version: 3.1.1
pi@Prometheus:~ $ moodeutl -C Claudia.local
pi@Prometheus:~ $
I guess the reason that the "Scan" in the UI fails to find anything is because the "what shares" question returns nothing.  I guess that's because of how I've got my share set up in Synology, but the UI for the DSM does not make it easy to work out what is what.

The other three hosts found by -n command are my three moOde players, and all their shares show up in the moOde UI.
----------------
Robert
Wow, topic developed well. I agree they host.local/music is working always, but SCAN never find anything, but thanks to Tim added moodeutl it is easier to find where to follow and find a solution.

In regards to Volumio I have no idea how they doing but when I swap sdcard on the same Pi4 with volumio they just automagically can scan find and update the library even in the free version, just saying no critic to moode as it is an awesome player/streamer, and kind of sounds better more full. Anyway Thanks to everyone who contributed to that topis as it only improve our understanding and product itself.