Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Correct way to play all audio files at a uniform volume
Photo 
Hello,

My goal is to play all tracks at a consistent volume.
The tracks (FLAC + MP3) are played using BubbleUPnP via DLNA through the UPnP renderer in Moode.
Some of the tracks in the playlist have ReplayGain tags, but not consistently.
Most of the tracks in the playlist do not come from a single album, but are wildly mixed.

So far, I have activated "Volume normalization" in the MPD configuration.
However, I have noticed that not only the volume of the individual songs is adjusted, but also quiet and loud passages within a single song are normalised. However, I do not want this at all.

I have also activated "ReplayGain" for testing purposes.
With the "Track" setting, however, I have the problem that quieter and louder pieces within an album are equalised, although they should not be. When an album is played, the tracks should be played back with the volume differences between the tracks as intended by the artist.
With the "Album" setting, I have the opposite problem: If any song is played that is very quiet on its album, and then a song from another album is played that is very loud on its album, I have a large volume difference here again.
Unfortunately, the "Auto" setting doesn't help me here, because I want to determine the playback order of the songs myself and not randomly.

How can I achieve that:
  • All songs are played at a uniform volume.
  • Except when a complete album is played (then the album volume should be used).
  • The volume within a single song is not changed?
Replay Gain does not compress the dynamic range of songs it is applied to. 

does replay gain compress dynamics

If most of your music is random songs use the Track setting.
(08-01-2022, 07:04 PM)Mattt Wrote: Replay Gain does not compress the dynamic range of songs it is applied to. 
I did not say that.

(08-01-2022, 07:04 PM)Mattt Wrote: If most of your music is random songs use the Track setting.
With ReplayGain = Track, I have the problem that when I listen to an entire album with songs that vary greatly in volume, the songs that are actually quiet are played much too loudly.

In addition, songs without ReplayGain (which is the case with many of the FLACs) would usually be played much louder than the MP3 tracks.

What I am looking for is basically the "Volume normalization" function. However, not within a song, but related to the whole song and only if it is not a complete album that is to be played.
In other words, a kind of "intelligent automatic ReplayGain"
Volume normalization is an MPD option whose value is either "Yes" or "No"
https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/use...n-settings

Anything more than that would be a request to the MPD maintaier.
https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/issues
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-01-2022, 07:24 PM)psychofaktory Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 07:04 PM)Mattt Wrote: Replay Gain does not compress the dynamic range of songs it is applied to. 
I did not say that.

Apologies, my mistake

(08-01-2022, 07:04 PM)Mattt Wrote: If most of your music is random songs use the Track setting.
With ReplayGain = Track, I have the problem that when I listen to an entire album with songs that vary greatly in volume, the songs that are actually quiet are played much too loudly.

OK I have re-read your original post (early in the morning here, needed coffee  Smile)
You want track ReplayGain to be applied without using the random function? 

In addition, songs without ReplayGain (which is the case with many of the FLACs) would usually be played much louder than the MP3 tracks.

What I am looking for is basically the "Volume normalization" function. However, not within a song, but related to the whole song and only if it is not a complete album that is to be played.
In other words, a kind of "intelligent automatic ReplayGain"
OK I have re-read your original post (early in the morning here, needed coffee  Smile)

You want track ReplayGain to be applied without using the random function because you want control over the order the songs are played?
So if ReplayGain=Track could be turned on when using playlists would that solve your issue?
So it seems that the only viable option is to tag all audio files with a ReplayGain tag and then set ReplayGain=Track, as the volume normalisation function in MPD also changes the volume within a single song.
If you want to listen to an album in the original volume ratio of the tracks, you would have to manually switch to ReplayGain=Album.

Tagging with the ReplayGain seems to make sense to me.
Moode cannot influence the volume normalisation function of MPD. That also makes sense to me.

However, this could be a desirable feature on Moode's part:
A recognition of whether songs from different albums or successive songs from the same album are queued in the playlist and then automatically set ReplayGain to "Track" or "Album".