Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Identify multiple Pi's on network
I've got several Pi's running Moode in different areas of my home.  I access them via ip address, and while they're clumped (xxx.xxx.xx.140-147). (mostly from android and linux)   But I can't always remember which is which.  Is there a change I make to give them unique names or better yet, have individually specific labels on the browser tabs?

Thanks,
Mike
M/Configure/System. Change the host name and browser title then reboot.
----------------
Robert
^^^^
Exactly that.
And FWIW, I also have my four RPi on static IP addresses, with the addresses and host names set up in the “reserved IP” table in my router.

I then set up a dedicated icon for each RPi on my PC & tablet desktops.
(08-22-2022, 06:56 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: M/Configure/System.  Change the host name and browser title then reboot.

Thanks!  I figured it must be something simple.  I'm not sure what I thought browser title did, but it should have been obvious.  I had already changed host names, but couldn't see anywhere that manifested.  I guess I never moved on from the first line.

Mike
(08-22-2022, 07:10 AM)suzywong Wrote: ^^^^
Exactly that.
And FWIW, I also have my four RPi on static IP addresses, with the addresses and host names set up in the “reserved IP” table in my router.

I then set up a dedicated icon for each RPi on my PC & tablet desktops.

The missing piece for me was Browser Name.  What does Host Name do?  Is it functionally useful beyond network administration stuff?  I'm set up similarly, but can you explain host names?  I manually set them before in the router table, but with the new names set, but not updated on the router, everything still seems to work.
Many applications use a devices host name to interact with it and so it's important that each device has a unique host name on a network.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Host name is what the player will identify itself as on your network. You can ditch the IP address and use "<hostname>.local" (so the default would be moode.local) to connect to it, and shares and so on can be addressed with the host name too.
----------------
Robert
@GuitarManMike

Depending on how you use your players, and on your personal preferences, there’s other names you may wish to change. Conveniently, they’re all listed along with their default values in the /boot/moode cfg.ini.default file

Code:
[Names]
browsertitle = "moOde Player"
hostname = "moode"
btname = "Moode Bluetooth"
airplayname = "Moode Airplay"
spotifyname = "Moode Spotify"
squeezelitename = "Moode"
upnpname = "Moode UPNP"
dlnaname = "Moode DLNA"

The default values are descriptive but the values don’t need to be. They can be changed one at a time in the moOde WebUI or en masse using the .ini file approach.

Regards,
Kent