Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Loss off network shares on 8.2
(09-21-2022, 11:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Tim Curtis

An easier check of the active exports on an NFS server is sudo exportfs

For example, on my moOde 8.2.0 player with NFS server enabled and exporting a USB stick labeled RALLY8GB

Code:
pi@m82arm64:~ $ sudo exportfs
/media/RALLY8GB
        <world>
Note, this is with the "default" Access setting. If I set Access to just my entire LAN, then instead of <world> one sees what I set: 10.0.0.0/24.

@didier573

1) It's a very bad idea to open port 2049 at your firewall, e.g., your router. This leaves you open to attacks from the outside world. The Internet is under siege by bad guys running what are called "port knocker" programs.

2) if you have enabled NFS file-sharing in System Config on your host moodeNAS then it should have port 2049 open even if you do not have any exportable USB storage devices connected. There's something not right here since you report
Code:
Host: 192.168.1.17 (moodenas.home)      Ports: 2049/closed/tcp//nfs///

3) you do not have to enable NFS file-sharing on your host moodeEND. It's a server setting, not a client setting.
Regards,
Kent

@TheOldPresbyope, the showmount command is run on the client while exportfs would be run on the server.

To verify the server is working check its status via systemd.

Code:
systemctl status nfs-server

# Example
pi@trx:~ $ systemctl status nfs-server
● nfs-server.service - NFS server and services
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Tue 2022-09-20 15:54:44 EDT; 1 day 17h ago
    Process: 944 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 945 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 945 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 476ms

pi@trx:~ $ sudo exportfs
/media/VFAT128  192.168.1.0/24
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Tim Curtis

Oops, sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Correct, the exportfs command is only for the server (but see below). The showmount command actually will work from any Linux host on the LAN including the server. Just more typing Tongue

The problem I'm having here is the clear contradiction between the data presented in message #28 which say the NFS service is on and the server is configured to export the USB drive and the data in all the remaining messages which indicate to me that the NFS server process(es) must not be running. Perhaps something is killing them but I"m not sure either systemctl or the system log will tell us much. 

Regards,
Kent
Right, it's a puzzler. @didier573 config files and nmap output look ok but the showmount command errors out.

I have an 812 -> 820 updated system that I can test later today. Maybe the in-place update has an issue with installation of nfs-server package ?
Enjoy the Music!
(09-22-2022, 09:43 AM)Falco Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 06:20 AM)didier573 Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 06:25 PM)didier573 Wrote: I face exactly the same issue.
SMB is working fine in my configuration but I don't know how to proceed with NFS and I'd like to try it.

I use two Raspberries, one as an Endpoint (WiFi connected to my network) and another one as a NAS using moOde, a USB SDD and also WiFi connected.
I can see the directories from my mac Finder to upload new files. So, everything is ok using SMB.

Could someone explain step by step how to proceed with NFS ?

Hello,

Just to clarify what I did. On the NAS side I turned on SMB and NFS. I also specified the subnet allowed to access to ressources (192.168.1.0/24 in my case).
On the endpoint side, when I launch a scan for SMB path I get answers. Nothing when I do the same scan with NFS.

No one using NFS or interested in using it ?

I see further down the thread that you're already investigating a lot together with Tim and Kent.

However I just wanted to share that I have a similar setup with 2 MoOde RPi's. To one of them a USB SSD is connected with music. I also want to share that on the network. So at first I did not know that SMB and NFS server had to be activated. After activating SMB server it ran flawlessly.

Then I decided to try NFS as that should give a little bit less overhead traffic on Linux. Only thing I did was activating NFS, did not specify any subnet or anything and for me it worked instantly. With SCAN I got the server and could connect to it. With update library I saw all music files and they also play instantly over the network. Both players are on the same subnet, which is 192.168.1.x for me.

Maybe first try to only active NFS server and not specify a subnet etc?

Thanks Falco. I've tried but it doesn't work on my side. I also did a fresh install right now but without success.
(09-22-2022, 01:05 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 11:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Tim Curtis

An easier check of the active exports on an NFS server is sudo exportfs

For example, on my moOde 8.2.0 player with NFS server enabled and exporting a USB stick labeled RALLY8GB

Code:
pi@m82arm64:~ $ sudo exportfs
/media/RALLY8GB
        <world>
Note, this is with the "default" Access setting. If I set Access to just my entire LAN, then instead of <world> one sees what I set: 10.0.0.0/24.

@didier573

1) It's a very bad idea to open port 2049 at your firewall, e.g., your router. This leaves you open to attacks from the outside world. The Internet is under siege by bad guys running what are called "port knocker" programs.

2) if you have enabled NFS file-sharing in System Config on your host moodeNAS then it should have port 2049 open even if you do not have any exportable USB storage devices connected. There's something not right here since you report
Code:
Host: 192.168.1.17 (moodenas.home)      Ports: 2049/closed/tcp//nfs///

3) you do not have to enable NFS file-sharing on your host moodeEND. It's a server setting, not a client setting.
Regards,
Kent

@TheOldPresbyope, the showmount command is run on the client while exportfs would be run on the server.

To verify the server is working check its status via systemd.

Code:
systemctl status nfs-server

# Example
pi@trx:~ $ systemctl status nfs-server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Tue 2022-09-20 15:54:44 EDT; 1 day 17h ago
    Process: 944 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 945 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 945 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 476ms

pi@trx:~ $ sudo exportfs
/media/VFAT128  192.168.1.0/24

By my side I get :

pi@moodeEND:~ $ systemctl status nfs-server
    Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2022-09-21 20:14:25 CEST; 22h ago                                                                                                                            
   Process: 165762 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                              
   Process: 165763 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                        
   Process: 176163 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 0 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                                    
   Process: 176164 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -au (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                              
   Process: 176169 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -f (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                              
  Main PID: 165763 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                                                                  
       CPU: 12ms                                                                                                                                                                                    

Sep 21 18:21:24 moodeEND systemd[1]: Starting NFS server and services...                                                                                                                            
Sep 21 18:21:26 moodeEND systemd[1]: Finished NFS server and services.                                                                                                                              
Sep 21 20:14:25 moodeEND systemd[1]: Stopping NFS server and services...                                                                                                                            
Sep 21 20:14:25 moodeEND systemd[1]: nfs-server.service: Succeeded.                                                                                                                                  
Sep 21 20:14:25 moodeEND systemd[1]: Stopped NFS server and services.                                                                                                                                
pi@moodeEND:~ $

[b]pi@moodeNAS[/b]:[b]~ $[/b] sudo exportfs
[b]pi@moodeNAS[/b]:[b]~ $[/b]
It looks like you turned on NFS on the client (moodeEND). It should be the NAS (moodeNAS) where NFS gets turned on.
Enjoy the Music!
(09-22-2022, 06:30 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It looks like you turned on NFS on the client (moodeEND). It should be the NAS (moodeNAS) where NFS gets turned on.

I've checked and re-checked : NFS is on only turned on on the NAS side...

Does this command give useful information ? :

pi@moodeNAS:~ $ systemctl status nfs-server
nfs-server.service - NFS server and services
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-09-22 20:54:46 CEST; 41min ago
   Process: 1996 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Process: 1997 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -au (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                                
   Process: 1998 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -f (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)                                                                                                                
       CPU: 18ms                                                                                                                                                                                    

Sep 22 20:54:46 moodeNAS systemd[1]: Starting NFS server and services...                                                                                                                            
Sep 22 20:54:46 moodeNAS exportfs[1996]: exportfs: No host name given with /srv/nfs/MUSIQUE (rw,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash), suggest *(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash) to avoid w>
Sep 22 20:54:46 moodeNAS exportfs[1996]: exportfs: /media/MUSIQUE does not support NFS export                                                                                                        
Sep 22 20:54:46 moodeNAS systemd[1]: nfs-server.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE                                                                                      
Sep 22 20:54:46 moodeNAS systemd[1]: nfs-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 22 20:54:46 moodeNAS systemd[1]: Stopped NFS server and services.                                                                                                                                
lines 1-14/14 (END)
Could be useful. What format is the file system on the attached USB drive?
Enjoy the Music!
(09-22-2022, 08:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Could be useful. What format is the file system on the attached USB drive?

ExFAT
(09-22-2022, 08:38 PM)didier573 Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 08:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Could be useful. What format is the file system on the attached USB drive?

ExFAT

Looks like exfat format is not supported by NFS
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=309384

My drives are mostly fat32 (VFAT) which apparently works with NFS. I'm guessing that formats like NTFS etc are not supported by NFS either. 

I'll update the help for upcoming 8.2.1
Enjoy the Music!