Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

[SOLVED] Permission problems with 8.xx
Code:
pi@moode:/ $ ls -l /media
total 128
drwxr-xr-x 150 root root 131072 Oct  5 17:58 'Moode playe'
(10-05-2022, 04:53 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What is output from the following commands on the 192.168.x.x system?

Code:
ls -l /media

systemctl status smbd

Code:
pi@moode:/ $ systemctl status smbd
● smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; disabled; vendor preset:>
    Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-10-05 16:13:54 BST; 1h 49min ago
      Docs: man:smbd(8)
            man:samba(7)
            man:smb.conf(5)
   Process: 1005 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/samba/update-apparmor-samba-profile (>
  Main PID: 1006 (smbd)
     Tasks: 3 (limit: 1010)
       CPU: 967ms
    CGroup: /system.slice/smbd.service
            ├─1006 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
            ├─1015 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
            └─1016 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group

Oct 05 16:13:53 moode systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
Oct 05 16:13:54 moode smbd[1006]: [2022/10/05 16:13:54.361701,  0] ../../lib/ut>
Oct 05 16:13:54 moode systemd[1]: Started Samba SMB Daemon.
Oct 05 16:13:54 moode smbd[1006]:   daemon_ready: daemon 'smbd' finished starti>
lines 1-20/20 (END)

Btw, Code Box icon is on the toolbar on the right side. You have to be in Compose or Preview Post mode.

Hope I got that right!
(10-05-2022, 05:00 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 04:41 PM)Phosphoric Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 04:18 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Phosphoric

Ah, I'll bet you missed a recent change to moOde. You now have to enable SMB in the System Config menu under the heading File Sharing. The setting is off by default.

Regards,
Kent

I did spot that one Kent, believe me, I've tried every setting over the last few days!

The only way I've been able to repro the "Unable to mount location....' message has been to start with a fresh image of moOde 8.2.0 with the SMB service disabled. When I browse the network from my Linux Mint file manager I see an icon for the moOde player but clicking on it gives me this message.

Once I've enabled the SMB service, I can click on the icon to get to all the shares on the player. To open any of them I have to enter the user pi credentials as I said previously. Same is true if I open them on my Apple iPad using OWLfile app, for example.

For SMB sources, I have tried both single partition USB thumbdrives and two-partition uSD cards (with moOde image on them) in a USB adapter. All work just fine browsing, reading, and writing all the file systems available.

Incidentally, once I've gone through all this I find that if I disable the moOde player's SMB service again, clicking on the host icon in my Linux Mint File Manager no longer triggers the error message. I just get an empty view of shares on that host. Clearly there's some caching going on in Linux Mint or its File Manager.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent,
I've set up a fresh install so frequently now that I always configure system first which includes SMB enable before I do a power cycle and then on to audio, then library and finally network to set up my wireless connection.
I just find it strange that it works perfectly with no intervention from me on ver.76x but not ver. 8xx.

Maybe I should try another download of 8.20, perhaps that's not right. I got my download from moodeaudio's own site.

I'll try that now.
(10-05-2022, 05:05 PM)Phosphoric Wrote:
Code:
total 128
(10-05-2022, 04:53 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What is output from the following commands on the 192.168.x.x system?

Code:
ls -l /media

systemctl status smbd

Code:

Oct 05 16:13:54 moode smbd[1006]: [2022/10/05 16:13:54.361701,  0] ../../lib/ut>
Oct 05 16:13:54 moode smbd[1006]:   daemon_ready: daemon 'smbd' finished starti>
lines 1-20/20 (END)

Btw, Code Box icon is on the toolbar on the right side. You have to be in Compose or Preview Post mode.

Hope I got that right!

Looks good.

Now from your Linux Mint box try the commands below.

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/Test

sudo mount -t cifs "//192.168.x.x/Moode player" -o username="Guest",password="",rsize=61440,wsize=65536,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.1.1,rw,noserverino,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 "/mnt/Test"

If no errors then try to write to the mount point

sudo touch /mnt/Test/test.txt

If no errors then reverse the above

sudo rm /mnt/Test/test.txt
sudo umount -f /mnt/Test
sudo rmdir /mnt/Test
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-05-2022, 05:35 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 05:05 PM)Phosphoric Wrote:
Code:
total 128

Code:
ls -l /media

systemctl status smbd

Code:

lines 1-20/20 (END)

Hope I got that right!

Looks good.

Now from your Linux Mint box try the commands below.

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/Test

sudo mount -t cifs "//192.168.x.x/Moode player" -o username="Guest",password="",rsize=61440,wsize=65536,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.1.1,rw,noserverino,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 "/mnt/Test"

If no errors then try to write to the mount point

sudo touch /mnt/Test/test.txt

If no errors then reverse the above

sudo rm /mnt/Test/test.txt
sudo umount -f /mnt/Test
sudo rmdir /mnt/Test
Thanks Tim,

test.txt appeared in my Moode playe media file.  Is that good?
I'm currently downloading a fresh version of 8.20 to try from scratch again. I won't overwrite the version that we are working on at the moment though.
Yes, that as good. It proves that the SMB share on your 192.168.x.x system is functioning properly and allowing writes when mounted in "rw" mode.

Not sure why your Mint box is giving errors when trying to access the share via its network manager.
Enjoy the Music!
(10-05-2022, 06:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, that as good. It proves that the SMB share on your 192.168.x.x system is functioning properly and allowing writes when mounted in "rw" mode.

Not sure why your Mint box is giving errors when trying to access the share via its network manager.

Thanks again Tim.

I've just tried a fresh download of 8.20 just in case.  Sadly still the same.

Thanks to you and TheOldPresbyope for your help today,  I'll try again tomorrow, have to get back to family duties now. Big Grin
(10-05-2022, 06:13 PM)Phosphoric Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 06:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, that as good. It proves that the SMB share on your 192.168.x.x system is functioning properly and allowing writes when mounted in "rw" mode.

Thanks again Tim.

I've just tried a fresh download of 8.20 just in case.  Sadly still the same.

Thanks to you and TheOldPresbyope for your help today,  I'll try again tomorrow, have to get back to family duties now. Big Grin

Well, I've spent a good amount of time on the wonder web today in a fruitless search for a solution to my connection problem with mo0de 8.20.

I am not inclined to alter too much the set up of my existing Linux Mint 20 PC as it connects flawlessly  to mo0de 7.6x, my RPI NAS and two other Linux based computers.
I can either revert to mo0de 7.6x which works fine or accept the limitations of 8.20 and only be able to update my music library by removing my USB mounted sd card and plugging it in to my Linux PC directly.

I'm looking forward to trying 8.2.1 when released with the feature to keep trying to reconnect to a lost source.  At the moment my whole wifi, broadband, TV, Audio,Mo0de streamer and other bits are all turned off at night from a single power switch to save energy.  On switching on in the morning the mo0de streamer boots before the wifi has got settled so I lose the connection to my NAS which takes ages for me to manually restore the library.

So thanks for the help and watch this space, maybe a solution will appear.  Smile Smile
Try setting a longer IP address timeout in System Config. The default is 90 secs but it can be up to 180 secs. Thats a three minute wait for an IP address to be assigned.

It's very odd that have to completely regenerate the Library just because an IP address was not assigned. The mount will of course fail but once its re-mounted the Library should appear again as it was before.
Enjoy the Music!
@Phosphoric

You said

Quote:I am not inclined to alter too much the set up of my existing Linux Mint 20 PC as it connects flawlessly  to mo0de 7.6x, my RPI NAS and two other Linux based computers.

I can either revert to mo0de 7.6x which works fine or accept the limitations of 8.20

I'm perplexed.

I have now brought up a moOde 7.6.0 player side-by-side with my 8.2.0 players. I don't see a difference in SMB behavior beyond the need in 8.2.0 to enable the SMB file service explicitly, at least in the quick tests I've done.

In both versions, on first attempt to open the player's SMB share(s) via the host icon that appears in my Linux Mint 20.3 File Manager I have to declare myself registered user pi/(the password I gave user pi on my moOde player). After than I can continue to access shares even if I swap out USB drives on the players. As before, I've tested with both a single-partition USB thumbdrive with a VFAT file system and a two-partition uSD card with moOde image on it (VFAT/ext4). I can both read and write to the file systems on the USB partitions. [Some software says "VFAT", some "FAT32", although FAT32 is actually an extension of VFAT.]

In both versions, I can also ssh to the moOde player as user pi/(the password I gave this user) and read the mounted USB partition(s). I can write to them only as root, however, which is easily done with the sudo command.

As an aside and as I've said previously, Linux Mint and/or the Caja File Manager that's part of the MATE desktop environment I'm using seem to cache the SMB credentials so it remembers them when I revisit a host. That has to be considered when interpreting test scenarios.

Regards,
Kent
(10-06-2022, 06:03 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try setting a longer IP address timeout in System Config. The default is 90 secs but it can be up to 180 secs. Thats a three minute wait for an IP address to be assigned.

It's very odd that have to completely regenerate the Library just because an IP address was not assigned. The mount will of course fail but once its re-mounted the Library should appear again as it was before.

Hi all,

just to add to the soup... from my Linux Mint I connect to moOde this way:

sftp://pi@moode-lounge.local/

I add a bookmark after I successfully connect using one of the icons that "Network" offers me; the other one being possibly SMB (but I think now it is disabled)

Cheers, A.