Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Interruptions with AirPlay on moOde 8.2.1
Just keep in mind that Airplay 2 support in Shairport-sync is still evolving. A newer version is going to be included in upcoming moOde 8.2.2 release :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Well, if the shairport-sync port of AirPlay2 works flawlessly on moOde with any native Apple device but not with Android ones as it seems to be the case, I come to conclusion that the reverse engineering of AirPlay2 is not fully operational yet and will hopefully improve in future releases.

Whatever, as you said Kent, as long as we have the choice to use either one or the other protocol that's all good.

Tim, I'll keep on testing AirPlay2 with upcoming moOde releases and will post my feedback on the forum, thanks.
@romain

I said I had nothing more but like a chess kibbitzer I can't resist one last comment.

You said
Quote:Well, if the shairport-sync port of AirPlay2 works flawlessly on moOde with any native Apple device but not with Android ones as it seems to be the case, I come to conclusion that the reverse engineering of AirPlay2 is not fully operational yet and will hopefully improve in future releases.

My conclusion is somewhat different.
  • Apple developed and has never published the proprietary protocol stack collectively known as AirPlay2.
  • Apple implements their protocols in the iOS devices I test with---iPhoneSE and iPad.
  • shairport-sync works as a (multi-room) receiver against these devices as senders.
  • conclusion: the protocol requests shairport-sync is making against these senders are acceptable and handled
What this suggests to me is that whatever changes to shairport-sync are in store, they may not "fix" the AirMusic app-as-sender issue. As Martin said in his original detailed response, a particular shairport-sync request appears to be triggering something he hasn't implemented (but which Apple apparently has, at least in its iOS implementations).

In any case, it isn't an issue with Android per se. Unsurprisingly, Google has no interest in playing fair with Apple. They want us to use Chromecast, not AirPlay. Don't bother to ask for FOSS code to implement a Chromecast receiver.

Regards,
Kent
(10-21-2022, 03:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @romain

I said I had nothing more but like a chess kibbitzer I can't resist one last comment.

You said
Quote:Well, if the shairport-sync port of AirPlay2 works flawlessly on moOde with any native Apple device but not with Android ones as it seems to be the case, I come to conclusion that the reverse engineering of AirPlay2 is not fully operational yet and will hopefully improve in future releases.

My conclusion is somewhat different.
  • Apple developed and has never published the proprietary protocol stack collectively known as AirPlay2.
  • Apple implements their protocols in the iOS devices I test with---iPhoneSE and iPad.
  • shairport-sync works as a (multi-room) receiver against these devices as senders.
  • conclusion: the protocol requests shairport-sync is making against these senders are acceptable and handled
What this suggests to me is that whatever changes to shairport-sync are in store, they may not "fix" the AirMusic app-as-sender issue. As Martin said in his original detailed response, a particular shairport-sync request appears to be triggering something he hasn't implemented (but which Apple apparently has, at least in its iOS implementations).

In any case, it isn't an issue with Android per se. Unsurprisingly, Google has no interest in playing fair with Apple. They want us to use Chromecast, not AirPlay. Don't bother to ask for FOSS code to implement a Chromecast receiver.

Regards,
Kent

Kent,

I came to this conclusion because Martin said his app was working well with industry grade devices implementing proprietary AirPlay2.

shairport-sync is not acknowledged (yet) to be implemented into commercial products as far as I know and, since we speak about reverse enginnering here, who knows if the request triggered by shairport-sync is really a part of the native AirPlay2 protocol ?
By the way, I've compared the AIrMusic log with AirPlay1 and AirPlay2 ; the request in question can't be the problem because it is also used with the AirPlay1 port of shairport-sync.

Hopefully both developments will improve in the future and will make us all happy Wink
I needed to revert to version 3.3.8.
Otherwise, Airplay crashed each time I attempt to use it (with my old MBP + Mojave).

I understanded airplay2 should work with any apple device, by it does not.
musical regards

y.
AirPlay2 now works as expected with the AirMusic Android client app since I've upgraded to the latest moOde release 8.2.2 Smile
Interestingly, the update also eliminated the "periodic interruption" I mentioned some posts back.

Clearly I didn't expect such a good result with the new shairport-sync module but I'm happy to have my intuition proven wrong when the result is good music.

Regards,
Kent