Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Weird behaviour of MPD in combination with equalizer
My system is a Rpi 3B+ with Allo Kali reclocker and an Allo Piano 2.1 dac.
Playing around with the chip settings for Burr Brown PCM and TAS chips in order to hear the differences between the different filters I noticed a strange behaviour.
Before I started playing around I had the following SoX settings: Bit Depth 24; sample rate 192, channels stereo, quality high, multithreading yes. and in the section graphical equalizers H-Lo Boost Plus was switched on.
In order to compare the Burr Brown filters I switched of the equalizer.
The result was white noise from my speakers.
Fideling around I found out that with bit depths 16 and 32 normal music was playing while at bit depths "any" and 32 white noise was generated.
After switching on the graphical equalizer again at each bit depth music was playing.
For me this raises the question is this expected behaviour or is the graphical equalizer circumventing the SoX bitdepth settings?
I'm aware that years ago de kali reclocker only was working withe the SoX setting set to bit depth 32.
Although it is not a real problem I'm wondering what is happening. 
regards
The Kali Reclocker device does not support 24 bit audio, it outputs white noise for this bit depth. I believe the Graphic EQ supports only 16 bit and so with SoX at 24 bit and EQ on ALSA is prolly auto-converting 24 to 16 bit.

If this is what is happening it would show up in Audio info on the "Output rate" line.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-29-2022, 12:45 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The Kali Reclocker device does not support 24 bit audio, it outputs white noise for this bit depth. I believe the Graphic EQ supports only 16 bit and so with SoX at 24 bit and EQ on ALSA is prolly auto-converting 24 to 16 bit.

If this is what is happening it would show up in Audio info on the "Output rate" line.

Didn't realize that about the Graphic EQ !   Does the PEQ limit to 16-bit also?
I ran a few quick tests with an Allo Boss and neither the Graphic or Parameteric EQ limit the bit depth. The screen shots show what happens to 24 bit audio with and w/o the EQ on. Apparently with EQ on ALSA pads the bit depth to 32 for final output.

Did you try without the Kali?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub