Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Tag view issues - help requested!
(11-01-2022, 09:44 AM)Nutul Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 07:41 AM)5-pot-fan Wrote: Thanks for the various replies and suggestions.
The files I referred to are all complete albums, hence their size.
I could convert them to Flac, BUT they have all been...

my suggestion was exclusively oriented at having them compressed, for ease of sharing; the idea was, of course, to convert them back to wav on our side to reproduce the issue; hence the request about the EXACT type of the tags used, and their EXACT content.

Hi,
At present I can only view the tags using MP3Tag-Extended tags. This indicates that the type of tags is ID3v2.3 - RIFF ID3v2.3, and that I am using fields Album and Artist in most cases, plus also Title and Track in others.
Is there a more informative way I can provide this information if I cannot provide the tracks (on size grounds)?
(11-01-2022, 07:41 AM)5-pot-fan Wrote: Thanks for the various replies and suggestions.
The files I referred to are all complete albums, hence their size.
I could convert them to Flac, BUT they have all been working fine up to and including Moode 8.0.2, so my enquiry is really "What has changed", rather than what is the best way to organise my music.
I will put 8.2.2 back into play and see if I have some singles or much shorter tracks in .wav that are not working under this version and get them uploaded (if they are small).
Additionally I will find out how to get the 'mediainfo' details referred to above. I am not comfortable using Linux commands but can access via SSH so will see what I can learn. I have a Windows product named ''mediainfo'' but this does not seem to show tags, and I assume these are where the issues lie.
I will post back when I have more data, or if I get completely lost.

If the files are whole CD or LP rips and there is no "track" tag in the file there needs to be an associated .cue file that defines the tracks otherwise the file won't show up in the Library. The fix is to recreate or restore the .cue file and was discussed in post https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....8#pid43498

This behavior was introduced in 8.2.1 to allow cue/flac,wav,aiff to show up correctly in the Library.

Normally whatever utility thats used to create the audio file will also have an option to create the .cue file.

ETA: I should mention that if a .cue file is not possible then add the "track" tag to the file with a value of "1".
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-01-2022, 10:40 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: This behavior was introduced in 8.2.1 to allow cue/flac,wav,aiff to show up correctly in the Library.

Hi Tim,

if this is the "check for .flac / .wav / .aiff / etc." to avoid a "fake album header" that I've seen in the code, it can be fixed; if not (as I believe, seeing this check is only performed in the folder view...) then, I cannot figure out where the problem lies; can you point me to?

Cheers, Al.
@5-pot-fan,

you can try to upload 3 or 4 of your wav's here (let me know if you encouter some restrictions, but it should be ok)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

Cheers, Al.
(11-01-2022, 11:43 AM)Nutul Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 10:40 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: This behavior was introduced in 8.2.1 to allow cue/flac,wav,aiff to show up correctly in the Library.

Hi Tim,

if this is the "check for .flac / .wav / .aiff / etc." to avoid a "fake album header" that I've seen in the code, it can be fixed; if not (as I believe, seeing this check is only performed in the folder view...) then, I cannot figure out where the problem lies; can you point me to?

Cheers, Al.

Actually it's in var renderSongs = function(albumPos) and so for Tag/Album views.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-01-2022, 11:53 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Actually it's in var renderSongs = function(albumPos) and so for Tag/Album views.

Now I'm somehow busy with an online-banking program, but in half an hour I'll be free, and will look into it. Thanks.

Cheers, Al.
(11-01-2022, 10:05 AM)5-pot-fan Wrote: Hi,
At present I can only view the tags using MP3Tag-Extended tags. This indicates that the type of tags is ID3v2.3 - RIFF ID3v2.3, and that I am using fields Album and Artist in most cases, plus also Title and Track in others.
Is there a more informative way I can provide this information if I cannot provide the tracks (on size grounds)?

WAV files are a kind of RIFF file (Google is your friend if you're interested in the nitty gritty details).

A free command line tool akin to mediainfo which is available for Linux, Mac, and Windows OSes is exiftool

Here's the output from this tool when I ran it in Win10 on a WAV file with metadata that I constructed for testing purposes (it's a synthesized C4 tone)

Code:
C:\Users\Kent\Downloads\exiftool-12.49>.\exiftool.exe S:\metatestC4.wav
ExifTool Version Number         : 12.49
File Name                       : metatestC4.wav
Directory                       : S:/
File Size                       : 177 kB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2022:11:01 07:26:30-07:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2022:11:01 07:27:52-07:00
File Creation Date/Time         : 2022:11:01 07:26:30-07:00
File Permissions                : -rw-rw-rw-
File Type                       : WAV
File Type Extension             : wav
MIME Type                       : audio/x-wav
Encoding                        : Microsoft PCM
Num Channels                    : 2
Sample Rate                     : 44100
Avg Bytes Per Sec               : 176400
Bits Per Sample                 : 16
Product                         : Test Tracks
Track Number                    : 2
Date Created                    : 2022
Software                        : Lavf58.29.100
ID3 Size                        : 292
Album                           : Test Tracks
Artist                          : TheOldPresbyope
Band                            : TheOldPresbyope
Composer                        : TheOldPresbyope
Part Of Set                     : 1
Genre                           : Test
Title                           : MetaTest C4 WAV
Track                           : 2
Year                            : 2022
Date/Time Original              : 2022
Duration                        : 1.00 s

This tool recognizes a phenomenal number of media types, far beyond the audio files we work with. There's enough material on the site to make my eyes glaze over.  Rolleyes

Since ID3 is a scheme which uses specialized tag ids there's a section on the site which explains the exiftool mapping (https://exiftool.org/TagNames/ID3.html). Example: you won't find the string "Album" in the ID3 tag; instead you'll find a "TAL" id.

Regards,
Kent
My findings so far:
After 2 full data rebuilds (disk unplugged, library regenerated etc) and at least 6 Library Rebuilds following minor test changes:-

All Wav files created via Audacity, and which have no data in the Title tag, and also have no cue files associated with them, now appear once each in the Playback view. These files (full albums) do not display any individual track data as none was extracted at source (Audacity), and this is OK with me, at least for now. Basically, back to the situation as in 8.0.2

Why some files/albums did not show in the Playback list earlier I do not know. I did more than 1 set of rebuilds/tag cache clearances/ regenerations before my initial post but will put the problem down to user error.

Having read about the changes made to Moode after 8.0.2 I am happy to show this issue 'solved', and will not take up anyones time by posting files, etc. My thanks to those who have responded previously – it prompted me to keep looking at the very least, and I will look at some of the tools referred to by some of you.
Thank you again.
(I do have another query but that will be posted as a new thread)
(11-01-2022, 04:33 PM)5-pot-fan Wrote: All Wav files created via Audacity, and which have no data in the Title tag, and also have no cue files associated with them, now appear once each in the Playback view. These files (full albums) do not display any individual track data as none was extracted at source (Audacity), and this is OK with me, at least for now. Basically, back to the situation as in 8.0.2

I assume these are LP 'rips' and recorded as A and B sides.
I have had reasonable success obtaining tags and artwork for albums by joining the A and B sides as one file after carefully cutting any extra length so as to match as closely as possible the total playing time as shown on the album.

Then using wavbreaker (in Linux) splitting the tracks to individual files again trying to maintain correct timings.
Finally using the fingerprint lookup in MusicBrainz  will often return useful  tags for the album tracks. Ymmv.
----------
bob
(11-01-2022, 06:28 PM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 04:33 PM)5-pot-fan Wrote: All Wav files created via Audacity, and which have no data in the Title tag, and also have no cue files associated with them, now appear once each in the Playback view. These files (full albums) do not display any individual track data as none was extracted at source (Audacity), and this is OK with me, at least for now. Basically, back to the situation as in 8.0.2

I assume these are LP 'rips' and recorded as A and B sides.
I have had reasonable success obtaining tags and artwork for albums by joining the A and B sides as one file after carefully cutting any extra length so as to match as closely as possible the total playing time as shown on the album.

Then using wavbreaker (in Linux) splitting the tracks to individual files again trying to maintain correct timings.
Finally using the fingerprint lookup in MusicBrainz  will often return useful  tags for the album tracks. Ymmv.

Thanks for this info. I will come back to your suggestions at a later date - perhaps when doing my next set of rips.
Cheers