Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

SMB File Sharing
Hello, all! 
I'm having trouble accessing the USB disk connected to Pi via the SMB File Shares from a Windows machine. I'm probably doing something stupid and would appreciate your help. 

It gives the error "A device attached to the system is not functioning", either through Windows or pushd command. And an "unexpected network error" with net use. 

I tried Guest/blank and "pi" users. Could be credentials?

Same behaviour with the USB disk and the Playlists share...
\\192.168.0.7\musica
\\192.168.0.7\Playlists
\\pirambaba-moode\musica

The disk is read by moode just fine, library is fully built and operational. 

I did this in previous versions, but it's been a while...

Setup is a Pi 3B, externally powered USB HDD, HiFiBerry Digi+, moode 8.2.2 (fresh install)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's from the release notes for upcoming (this month) release 8.2.3.

- Fix: SMB server ON/OFF setting not working
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-12-2022, 01:22 PM)pirambaba Wrote: Hello, all! 
I'm having trouble accessing the USB disk connected to Pi via the SMB File Shares from a Windows machine. I'm probably doing something stupid and would appreciate your help. 

It gives the error "A device attached to the system is not functioning", either through Windows or pushd command. And an "unexpected network error" with net use. 

\\192.168.0.7\musica
\\192.168.0.7\Playlists
\\pirambaba-moode\musica

Setup is a Pi 3B, externally powered USB HDD, HiFiBerry Digi+, moode 8.2.2 (fresh install)

I am the last one to speak, but I don't know if you can share a drive via SMB FROM a PI (I access its drives via SSH or SFTP from a Linux box), anyway, the credentials should be:
user: pi
password: moodeaudio
(12-12-2022, 03:16 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 01:22 PM)pirambaba Wrote: Hello, all! 

\\192.168.0.7\musica
\\192.168.0.7\Playlists
\\pirambaba-moode\musica

I am the last one to speak, but I don't know if you can share a drive via SMB FROM a PI (I access its drives via SSH or SFTP from a Linux box), anyway, the credentials should be:
user: pi
password: moodeaudio

It's done via the SMB file sharing option in System Config. Samba share points are created automatically for

/mnt/NAS
/mnt/SDCARD
Any drives in /media

The problem is that the SMB file sharing option ON/OFF sectting is broken.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I have to add that, even with the SMB file share On/Off setting fixed, I have occasional problems with my virtual Win10Pro host on a Linux box mounting a moOde share. 

Sometimes I get prompted for a Username/Password while setting up the connection to a share, sometimes I don't. Candidly, I've only kept the Win10Pro host going because of a very few Windows programs which just don't work well enough for me in Wine, so I haven't spent any time figuring out why its  "Add network location wizard" is behaving this way. When I do connect to a share successfully without using a username/password (aka "Guest" mode), I can read and write to it.

I won't get into other issues related to Windows vs. Linux and CIFS/SMB.

Regards,
Kent

PS - what did you mean by "pushd"? In my Linux cocoon, pushd "pushes" a directory on the stack. A quick Internet search suggests this is true in Windows as well.
Thank you for pointing out the release notes, Tim. I've missed it. Didn't know it was a known issue. Thanks!

And thanks everyone for the support. The SMB share have worked in the past, although it indeed was finicky with credentials and lost connection from time to time.

And Kent, you're right about the pushd command. I was just trying to access the folder through different methods, since mapping the drive in windows explorer or via net use was not working...