Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

playing Qobuz through network
need detailed instructions on how to play Qobuz through network with moOde 8.1.2 on audiophonics raspdac mini LCD. thanks
(02-03-2023, 04:46 PM)urbanhandy Wrote: need detailed instructions on how to play Qobuz through network with moOde 8.1.2 on audiophonics raspdac mini LCD. thanks

I think your only option would be to stream it via bluetototh to moOde; but this will degrade the audio-quality of course, and I don't think this is what you want, since you listen to Qobuz, right?

But let's hear from somebody more educated than me on the subject.
(02-03-2023, 05:11 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 04:46 PM)urbanhandy Wrote: need detailed instructions on how to play Qobuz through network with moOde 8.1.2 on audiophonics raspdac mini LCD. thanks

I think your only option would be to stream it via bluetototh to moOde; but this will degrade the audio-quality of course, and I don't think this is what you want, since you listen to Qobuz, right?

But let's hear from somebody more educated than me on the subject.

yea, want the good sound, think it can be done but i'm clueless
The streaming music industry is a hot mess. Each commercial service seems bent on creating a private garden with proprietary streaming protocols.

However, one can play Qobuz streams on a music app on another device and direct the output to moOde via Bluetooth, or Airplay, or even UPnP if the app in question supports it.

Your selection of app will depend on the device(s) you want to use. Not every app is available on every OS (e.g., Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows).

Example: I'm using the mConnectLite app on my Apple iPad. I can log into my Qobuz account, explore the Qobuz catalog, and stream my choice to my moOde player via either AirPlay or UPnP, assuming I've enabled the appropriate renderers on my moOde player.

Right now I'm listening to Steve Reich's string quartets. mConnect tells me they are FLAC | 24 bit | 48.0kHz. I've connected ("Play to")  my moOde player. Examining the ALSA params on moOde for the open connection to my DAC I see

Code:
i@m825p4b:/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0 $ more hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S24_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 48000 (48000/1)
period_size: 6000
buffer_size: 24000

so 24 bit | 48kHz out, same as the Qobuz source.

In general, the question of streaming quality depends on the Qobuz source material. On the Qobuz.com site somewhere there's a Qobuz&You tutorial (#25?) which addresses Qobuz with M-connect player and UPnP/AirPlay network player.

(ETA)

The Qobuz tutorial contains a table showing the availability of various levels of streaming quality vs player.

As an aside, I get similar results using the BubbleUPnP app on my Android phone.

It would be nice if Qobuz supported FOSS implementations of the Qobuz Connect protocol so Qobuz apps could connect directly to moOde, but no. Same for Tidal. (Spotify doesn't either but they haven't moved to shutdown the reverse-engineering effort which makes librespot possible...yet).

Regards,
Kent
(02-03-2023, 06:04 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: The streaming music industry is a hot mess. Each commercial service seems bent on creating a private garden with proprietary streaming protocols.

However, one can play Qobuz streams on a music app on another device and direct the output to moOde via Bluetooth, or Airplay, or even UPnP if the app in question supports it.

Your selection of app will depend on the device(s) you want to use. Not every app is available on every OS (e.g., Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows).

Example: I'm using the mConnectLite app on my Apple iPad. I can log into my Qobuz account, explore the Qobuz catalog, and stream my choice to my moOde player via either AirPlay or UPnP, assuming I've enabled the appropriate renderers on my moOde player.

Right now I'm listening to Steve Reich's string quartets. mConnect tells me they are FLAC | 24 bit | 48.0kHz. I've connected ("Play to")  my moOde player. Examining the ALSA params on moOde for the open connection to my DAC I see

Code:
i@m825p4b:/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0 $ more hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S24_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 48000 (48000/1)
period_size: 6000
buffer_size: 24000

so 24 bit | 408kHz out, same as the Qobuz source.

In general, the question of streaming quality depends on the Qobuz source material. On the Qobuz.com site somewhere there's a Qobuz&You tutorial (#25?) which addresses Qobuz with M-connect player and UPnP/AirPlay network player.

(ETA)

The Qobuz tutorial contains a table showing the availability of various levels of streaming quality vs player.

As an aside, I get similar results using the BubbleUPnP app on my Android phone.

It would be nice if Qobuz supported FOSS implementations of the Qobuz Connect protocol so Qobuz apps could connect directly to moOde, but no. Same for Tidal. (Spotify doesn't either but they haven't moved to shutdown the reverse-engineering effort which makes librespot possible...yet).

Regards,
Kent

thanks Kent, Chris
I say this a lot on Tidal threads, but it applies to Qobuz as well:

Don't leave this here, also take it up with the support folks at Qobuz, to whom you pay a large streaming fee each month. Let them know that for the money you pay them you expect to be able to stream to the hardware of your choice, so they should make their connect service more open.
----------------
Robert