Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Booting from NVMe drive (In Argon40 case)
[quote pid='45294' dateline='1676731405']

It's possible it's just an empty/unformatted/unpartitioned drive.
[/quote]

.....I think that's exactly the problem!

The SSD is new....unformatted (by me!).....

Can this be done in the SSH terminal please??
(02-18-2023, 02:52 PM)Tonewheelkev Wrote: [quote pid='45294' dateline='1676731405']

[/quote]

It can but I tend to use gparted on the rare occasions I format a drive (precisely once per drive typically) so I'd have to google for a tutorial myself.
(02-18-2023, 03:12 PM)Sehnsucht Wrote:
(02-18-2023, 02:52 PM)Tonewheelkev Wrote: [quote pid='45294' dateline='1676731405']

It can but I tend to use gparted on the rare occasions I format a drive (precisely once per drive typically) so I'd have to google for a tutorial myself.
[/quote]

Gparted.....right!! Smile

I'll look for that....it doesn't appear to be 'leaping out' from the FAQ and Guides section though!!!
Many thanks once again Smile
(02-18-2023, 03:24 PM)Tonewheelkev Wrote:
(02-18-2023, 03:12 PM)Sehnsucht Wrote:

Gparted.....right!! Smile

I'll look for that....it doesn't appear to be 'leaping out' from the FAQ and Guides section though!!!
Many thanks once again Smile
[/quote]

gparted is not part of moOde - it's a standard linux graphical tool - there's no reason it'd be documented here. moOde does ship with the command line version - parted - so if you want to do it in place that's as good a way of creating partitions and formatting them as any.

I've never used parted but this tutorial looks ok:
https://linuxhint.com/parted_linux/

You're going to populate this disk with music from some other device though, so it might be easier to do all this on that device and then connect it to your pi.  But there are multiple ways to do everything...
[quote pid='45302' dateline='1676734723']
You're going to populate this disk with music from some other device though, so it might be easier to do all this on that device and then connect it to your pi.  But there are multiple ways to do everything...
[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head there!
In the past....I've done all formatting etc of HDDs/SSDs on the PC....using disk management, and it's been a doddle!
With the M.2 drive....I have nothing to connect it to, other than the Argon NVMe expansion board...which connects to the Pi via USB 3.0.
I'm *hoping* that a Male to male USB3.0 cable (which is on the way!) will enable me to access the M.2 in the usual way...via USB!
Failing that...suppose I'll need a suitable enclosure of some kind.
Hey Ho!!
as @Sehnsucht says 'parted' would be the way to do this but from reading your posts I see that you are not too familiar with linux .

Perhaps you could visit your local computer store and ask them to format the ssd for you. It only takes a blink and they should be happy to do this.

I don't think the male usb to male usb cable will be of any help and could be a source of problems in itself.

You could just get one of these and use it with your Windows PC to format.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/...3995477288
----------
bob
(02-18-2023, 08:10 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: as @Sehnsucht says 'parted' would be the way to do this but from reading your posts I see that you are not too familiar with linux .

Perhaps you could visit your local computer store and ask them to format the ssd for you. It only takes a blink and they should be happy to do this.

I don't think the male usb to male usb cable will be of any help and could be a source of problems in itself.

You could just get one of these and use it with your Windows PC to format.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/...3995477288

Thought I'd just update a little on this!
The USB3.0 cable enables the drive to be seen/formatted/written to etc on my Win11 PC.
Looks like once the M.2 drive is fitted in the Argon40 'case'...it effectively becomes a detachable USB drive like the one you've linked to above!
Excellent result ! I am surprised the USB cable worked but whatever makes it happen !
Onwards for more adventures in the MoOde World. :-)
----------
bob
(02-28-2023, 06:47 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Excellent result ! I am surprised the USB cable worked but whatever makes it happen !
Onwards for more adventures in the MoOde World. :-)

Not sure why you're surprised really! The male/male usb lead just takes the place of the male/male 'U' connector that is supplied with the device Smile
Next...to install OS on the SSD so it can boot from there, instead of the SD card!
Good result!

That's the way I indeed connected and formatted my M.2 sata drive.

Maybe interesting to read that getting a MoOde image to a SD card will indeed be via Imager I mentioned before in this thread.
https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=5398