Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Suptronics x400 device not working
Hi Tim

Just tried to install 4.3 from new image, all goes well until try to play anything using the i2s selection for the Suptronics x400. The same problem happens on Pi3b, Pi2 and Pi0 - all of these work with the identical setup and same settings on 4.2. Reinstalled image a few times on different (new SD cards) with same result.

Get the following error message on screen:

MPD error

Failed to open "ALSA default" [alsa]; Failed to open ALSA device "hw:0,0": No such file or directory

Regards Adrian
moOde simply sets dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus for that particular device which is what the manufacturer specifies as the i2s driver to be used. There is no other configuration except to verify in MPD config that Audio device = I2S audio device, then click APPLY.

Here is config.txt for my Pi-ZeroW w/IQaudIO DACZero. This DAC works perfectly which confirms that their I2S driver is functioning properly.
Code:
pi@rp2:~ $ cat /boot/config.txt
disable_splash=1
hdmi_drive=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

Maybe there has been some change in the dacplus i2s driver in latest Linux kernel ?? I would have no way of knowing...

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-02-2018, 11:59 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde simply sets dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus for that particular device which is what the manufacturer specifies as the i2s driver to be used. There is no other configuration except to verify in MPD config that Audio device = I2S audio device, then click APPLY.

Maybe there has been some change in the dacplus i2s driver in latest Linux kernel ?? I would have no way of knowing...

-Tim

I don't have a DAC which uses this driver but searching the kernel module for build info suggests no change between moOde r4.2 and r4.3.

Here's a block of output from the strings command on moOde r4.2

Code:
pi@moode42:~ $ strings /lib/modules/4.14.70-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-iqaudio-dac.ko
license=GPL v2
description=ASoC Driver for IQAudio DAC
author=Florian Meier <florian.meier@koalo.de>
srcversion=9C73F76AB1CF8E6BF51BC4D
alias=of:N*T*Ciqaudio,iqaudio-dacC*
alias=of:N*T*Ciqaudio,iqaudio-dac
depends=snd-soc-core
intree=Y
name=snd_soc_iqaudio_dac
vermagic=4.14.70-v7+ SMP mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8

while on moOde 4.3:

Code:
pi@moode43:~ $ strings /lib/modules/4.14.72-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-iqaudio-dac.ko
license=GPL v2
description=ASoC Driver for IQAudio DAC
author=Florian Meier <florian.meier@koalo.de>
srcversion=9C73F76AB1CF8E6BF51BC4D
alias=of:N*T*Ciqaudio,iqaudio-dacC*
alias=of:N*T*Ciqaudio,iqaudio-dac
depends=snd-soc-core
intree=Y
name=snd_soc_iqaudio_dac
vermagic=4.14.72-v7+ SMP mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8

Kernel has changed but FWIW source version ids are identical. I can't find this id as a commit to the Raspbian source code tree so don't know what to do with it.

Regards,
Kent
(10-02-2018, 11:59 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde simply sets dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus for that particular device which is what the manufacturer specifies as the i2s driver to be used. There is no other configuration except to verify in MPD config that Audio device = I2S audio device, then click APPLY.

Here is config.txt for my Pi-ZeroW w/IQaudIO DACZero. This DAC works perfectly which confirms that their I2S driver is functioning properly.
Code:
pi@rp2:~ $ cat /boot/config.txt
disable_splash=1
hdmi_drive=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

-Tim

Yes - I've been using the HIFI DAC+ i2s selection instead - which I assume uses the same overlay. Maybe its the code that Moode uses to select the overlay for the x400 that has broken?
Adrian
I don't see any breakage in the the Suptronics x400 entry. It correctly sets dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus.

The HIFI DAC+ entry will configure dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus which AFAIK will not work with the x400 device.
Enjoy the Music!
Hi Tim - the HIFI DAC+ seems to work ok - and shows the hardware chip options for the 5122 that the x400 uses. I've been listening to it whilst trying to sort the issue. I've now rebuilt 2 of the x400 systems with fresh images and cleared every cache I could find - I'm now listening to one on the x400 setting and it sounds great - thanks! How do I set this thread to solved?
Adrian
Glad to hear that :-)

Just edit your original post #1 and pick SOLVED from the dropdown list.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!