Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode connection my (very)old CD player
Hello, I would like to connect my (very) old CD player to an USB connector of the PI. There is no USB on the CD player (only Coax+toslink out) but I have a "convertor", Toslink to USB.
This would allow me to take benefit from the embeded Camilla DSP in Moode and keep the CD player connected to my DAC. Ideally my CD player could appear as an option in the scrolling list "Librairy".
Do you think it is doable? Many thanks for the answer.
Does it show up as a listed device in Audio Config after you plug it into the Pi?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-11-2023, 09:40 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Does it show up as a listed device in Audio Config after you plug it into the Pi?

I remember that there is a sort of "plugin" (by Kent, IIRC) that, provided the CD is recognised by moOde as /dev/cdrom can provide CD playback, along with a list of tracks (no fancy metadata, though, just track indexes).
Never tried, but it is reported to work.
(03-11-2023, 09:40 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Does it show up as a listed device in Audio Config after you plug it into the Pi?

Hello Tim, no it doesn't show up.
In answer to @Nutul's post, my add-on was developed to interface moOde to general-purpose external CD drives which have a USB interface. There's nothing in my github repo which addresses audio CD players with coax/toslink outputs.

Regards,
Kent
(03-12-2023, 02:48 PM)Tantor Wrote:

Hello Tim, no it doesn't show up.

For example after plugging in my Revolution USB DAC I can select it from the Audio output dropdown.

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Tantor ok you want to capture the audio output of the CD-player for CamillaDSP processing with the following chain?:

CD Player ---- [toslink/spdif] ---> toslink/spdif convertor to usb ----- [USB] ---> Raspberry Pi

Probally your USB toslink/spdif convertor will appear as an an audio capture device with in the Raspberry Pi OS.
You can instruct moOde to use it as an audio source with a special playlist in moOde.
The article moOde with USB input will point you in the good direction.
@Tantor

I’m curious about your Toslink-to-USB converter. Can you post a link to the product description?

Regards,
Kent
(03-12-2023, 03:29 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: In answer to @Nutul's post, my add-on was developed to interface moOde to general-purpose external CD drives which have a USB interface. There's nothing in my github repo which addresses audio CD players with coax/toslink outputs.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

yes, of course. But he was mentioning a toslink->USB, hence my suggestion. Anyway, if such adapter provides, for example, /dev/toslink (or whatever it might be) instead of /dev/cdrom he's out of luck.
(03-12-2023, 06:55 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Tantor

I’m curious about your Toslink-to-USB converter. Can you post a link to the product description?

Regards,
Kent
It is this product: the price is around 30 euros
Hifime UR23 SPDIF Optical to USB converter