Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Can't access moode webgui from android phone
Question 
I can't access moode webgui from my android phone. Well, I actually can, but not in the way I'm "supposed" to... (?)

If I have moode connected to wifi I can access the webgui from my computer without issues, but not from my phone connected to the same wifi. The computer is connected to the router via ethernet only. I've tried moode.local, 172.24.1.1 and just "moode" but no luck. The same goes for when moode is connected to the router via ethernet. I can access the webgui from my computer but not from the phone.

I tried changing the wifi password and restarted moode in AP mode. Then I connected my phone to the AP and now I could reach the webgui using 172.24.1.1. But here's the odd thing. I've read in several threads here that AP mode and ethernet mode won't work at the same time. So I expected the AP to disconnect when I plugged in the ethernet cable. But it stayed connected and now I could start streaming music from the internet and control moode from the phone...   

Still, my phone lacks an internet connection when it's connected to the AP so this isn't ideal. Yes, I have the "router mode" option in moode set to "on". 

I'm probably missing things, but from what I've read this doesn't make sense.

My setup consists of a raspberry pi 3B, hifiberry dac+ adc pro and moode version 8.3.0 installed.
(04-15-2023, 09:53 PM)moodle Wrote: I can't access moode webgui from my android phone. Well, I actually can, but not in the way I'm "supposed" to... (?)

If I have moode connected to wifi I can access the webgui from my computer without issues, but not from my phone connected to the same wifi. The computer is connected to the router via ethernet only. I've tried moode.local, 172.24.1.1 and just "moode" but no luck. The same goes for when moode is connected to the router via ethernet. I can access the webgui from my computer but not from the phone.

I tried changing the wifi password and restarted moode in AP mode. Then I connected my phone to the AP and now I could reach the webgui using 172.24.1.1. But here's the odd thing. I've read in several threads here that AP mode and ethernet mode won't work at the same time. So I expected the AP to disconnect when I plugged in the ethernet cable. But it stayed connected and now I could start streaming music from the internet and control moode from the phone...   

Still, my phone lacks an internet connection when it's connected to the AP so this isn't ideal. Yes, I have the "router mode" option in moode set to "on". 

I'm probably missing things, but from what I've read this doesn't make sense.

My setup consists of a raspberry pi 3B, hifiberry dac+ adc pro and moode version 8.3.0 installed.

Hi,

I see you've tried almost everything... ;-)

Leave AP out of the game, now, and reconnect everything via WiFi, then

- connect to the UI on your computer
- go to m => Configure => Network
- note the IP address written underneath the "Address method" dropdown in the Wireless section (usually it looks like 192.168... etc.)
- use that IP from your phone, and see if you can jump in

(note: 172.24.1.1 is the IP moOde gives itself when it is in AP mode, it isn't active otherwise...)
@moodle

Everything Al said is on point.

As an aside, though, if the hostname of your moode player is "moode" then "moode.local" should work in recent releases of Android. It works on my Pixel 6a phone for example (Android 13).

However, I emphasized should because this feature didn't work in Android as recently as very late 2021 when it was rolled out silently as part of a Google Play System upgrade. That's when it began working on my last phone, a Pixel 3a. I don't know how much longer it took for this update to propagate through 3rd party phone vendors such as Samsung, etc.

Regards,
Kent
(04-15-2023, 10:36 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @moodle

As an aside, though, if the hostname of your moode player is "moode" then "moode.local" should work in recent releases of Android. It works on my Pixel 6a phone for example (Android 13).

However, I emphasized should because this feature didn't work in Android as recently as very late 2021 when it was rolled out silently as part of a Google Play System upgrade. That's when it began working on my last phone, a Pixel 3a. I don't know how much longer it took for this update to propagate through 3rd party phone vendors such as Samsung, etc.

Regards,
Kent
I also have this problem,
"moode.local" & "moode" in browsers don't work.

I use the "Pi Music" app, now. This app has an IP scanner dedicated for pis.

not "ideal", but it works...
musical regards

y.
(04-18-2023, 10:17 AM)yannig Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 10:36 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @moodle

Regards,
Kent
I also have this problem,
"moode.local" & "moode" in browsers don't work.

I use the "Pi Music" app, now. This app has an IP scanner dedicated for pis.

not "ideal", but it works...

The fact you cannot access moOde by its "name" may be an issue with the localDNS, and you can by-pass this by entering the IP address moOde has received by your router; no need for 3rd party apps whatsoever.
Come on guys, calling it an "Android phone" is like calling it an internal combustion engine. Tells us nothing interesting if you don't also tell us the make and model of the phone. In this case, something like Pixel 6a or Samsung Galaxy whatever, plus the actual version of Android.

Secondly, I'm befuddled at the idea that "Pi Music" app somehow describes a suitable substitute for moOde. The only Pi Music player app I know in the Google playstore is an in-phone music player which plays tracks stored on the same phone, not a client to a remote player/server like moOde. If a different app is meant, then again more details are needed.

Thirdly, echoing @Nutul, issues regarding browser access to a symbolic hostname such as moode or moode.local is a matter of dns resolution on the local area network, not really a moode issue at all.

Regards,
Kent
Kent, this is the Pi Music app referred to. I can no longer find it at the Playstore so perhaps no longer current.
https://apkpure.com/pi-music/com.trans_c...ic314.paid

by,
http://trans-code.com/about.html

last activity on his twitter @droidscan is 2016 as is the last version of Pi Music app so abandonware ?
----------
bob
(04-18-2023, 11:21 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: Kent, this is the Pi Music app referred to. I can no longer find it at the Playstore so perhaps no longer current.

That makes much more sense - from that linked page:

Quote:About Pi Music
English

The only app you need to play music with the Raspberry Pi
Pi Music is a custom viewer for Raspberry Pi based music players powered by MPD and a web service.

I'm not going to try to find and load it, not the least because it apparently is not free even if only to evaluate.

Thanks,
Kent
(04-18-2023, 11:21 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: Kent, this is the Pi Music app referred to. I can no longer find it at the Playstore so perhaps no longer current.

by,
http://trans-code.com/about.html

last activity on his twitter @droidscan is 2016 as is the last version of Pi Music app so abandonware ?

same app for me !
musical regards

y.
(04-18-2023, 11:35 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:

That makes much more sense - from that linked page:

Quote:About Pi Music
English

The only app you need to play music with the Raspberry Pi
Pi Music is a custom viewer for Raspberry Pi based music players powered by MPD and a web service.

I'm not going to try to find and load it, not the least because it apparently is not free even if only to evaluate.

Thanks,
Kent

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...free&hl=fr
musical regards

y.