Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Need some suggestions for a DAC for RPI zero 2w
Hi there,

I have a couple of RPI zero 2Ws around all of them are using an allo MINIBOSS I2S DAC, and I am very happy with them. 

I was planning to add 1-2 additional RPI zero 2Ws with the same DAC, but then I realized that some other allo DACS were having problems with the newest Linux 6 kernel, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. 

What do you think is the most future-proof DAC for RPI 2w as it looks like allo isn't investing too much effort in keeping their drivers updated?

I'm not looking to replace my current DACs, I will try to keep using them until they finally stop working or being supported, but I don't want to invest in soon to be unsupported DACs.
Listening with the latest moOde on a RPI zero w with a MiniBoss DAC PCM5122 32bit 384kHz and a Volt+ AMP on a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 100 speakers.

pi@moody:~ $ moodeutl -m 
CPU: 1.0 GHz, LOAD: 35% 47C | MEM: 63% used | DISK: 39% used, 4.1G free | PHP: 7 workers
(04-25-2023, 11:06 AM)ovizii Wrote: Hi there,

I have a couple of RPI zero 2Ws around all of them are using an allo MINIBOSS I2S DAC, and I am very happy with them. 

I was planning to add 1-2 additional RPI zero 2Ws with the same DAC, but then I realized that some other allo DACS were having problems with the newest Linux 6 kernel, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. 

What do you think is the most future-proof DAC for RPI 2w as it looks like allo isn't investing too much effort in keeping their drivers updated?

I'm not looking to replace my current DACs, I will try to keep using them until they finally stop working or being supported, but I don't want to invest in soon to be unsupported DACs.

I'd go with an external USB DAC. It then depends on your budget, of course.
Thanks, I will look into that. I’d appreciate it if you threw in a few names/brands so I have a starting point. Low to middle in terms of budget, something like the allo miniboss which is around 50 bucks. Looking at max 100 $/€ as that is enough to satisfy my ears (like the miniboss certainly does) :-)

Curious to know why you suggest USB DACs, are those more likely to receive driver/firmware updates?
Listening with the latest moOde on a RPI zero w with a MiniBoss DAC PCM5122 32bit 384kHz and a Volt+ AMP on a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 100 speakers.

CPU: 1.0 GHz, LOAD: 35% 47C | MEM: 63% used | DISK: 39% used, 4.1G free | PHP: 7 workers
I think you can still get miniBOSS DAC's at Amazon?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-25-2023, 02:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I think you can still get miniBOSS DAC's at Amazon?

Yes, they are widely available and still amazing. As I said, I was just worried since some other DACs by allo have issues with the newer Linux Kernel 6 as far as I have understood from the other threads here on the forum.
My allo miniboss DACs are still working perfectly fine with the latest moode version.

(04-25-2023, 01:05 PM)ovizii Wrote: Curious to know why you suggest USB DACs, are those more likely to receive driver/firmware updates?

They don't need any driver under Linux environments, moOde being such...
(04-25-2023, 06:04 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(04-25-2023, 01:05 PM)ovizii Wrote: Curious to know why you suggest USB DACs, are those more likely to receive driver/firmware updates?

I'm not sure where to start but of course Linux uses drivers, they are just mostly built into the kernel. More exotic hardware needs drivers which are not included, so you would rely on open source or on the manufacturer of the hardware device to supply them. 

That is what my entire post is all about. Let me give you a direct example.

Quote:moOde 8.3.2 changelog:

Updates and Fixes
  • NOTE: Allo Boss 2 I2S driver not working on new 6.1.y kernel branch
  • UPD: Remove reference to pi userid from SSH header
  • FIX: Worker startup fails on Pi-Zero due to incomplete "is-system-running" test
  • FIX: Haveged daemon fails to start on Pi-Zero (arm6 platforms)
  • FIX: Power and activity LED id names causing LED ON/OFF options to fail
  • FIX: Clicking on context menu check mark icon displays default moOde cover

Notice the first line about the Allo Boss 2 I2S driver? Allo has been quiet lately, and I saw more posts about lack of drivers with the new Linux kernel 6.x. 

I wouldn't mind a USB DAC, provided it uses very common hardware and the manufacturer does provide stable drivers or even better if its driver is included in the Linux kernel.

(04-25-2023, 06:27 PM)ovizii Wrote:
(04-25-2023, 06:04 PM)Nutul Wrote:

I'm not sure where to start but of course Linux uses drivers, they are just mostly built into the kernel. More exotic hardware needs drivers which are not included, so you would rely on open source or on the manufacturer of the hardware device to supply them. 

I wouldn't mind a USB DAC, provided it uses very common hardware and the manufacturer does provide stable drivers or even better if its driver is included in the Linux kernel.

As I said, in Linux (that is, in moOde) you don't need drivers to use the audio protocol, be it USB-1 or USB-2 (note, this has nothing to do with USB 1 or 2 or 3, etc. it's an asynchronous audio transfer protocol, actually, the newest one, with - hardware implementation dependent - plenty of room for DSD512 / PCM 768).

All DACs that connect to the PI over the feature connector MAY or MAY not require specific drivers (and most of them do...), but USB is a complete different story.
You may need USB drivers (in Linux I mean) if you want, for example, to change one of the (possibly available) FILTERS, that is: use specific device parameters; but these do not include/affect the USB-audio protocol itself.

For something concrete, I was thinking about the Topping E30 (Everybody talks wonders about this DAC) but its price is about 150 USD. Valid alternatives may be Topping DX1 at 100 USD, Fosi Audio K5 Pro at 80 USD, SMSL Sanskrit Mk II at 140 USD.

All the above offer USB, COAX and OPTICAL inputs and RCA preamp outs. All are USB powered.

Hope this helps, enjoy.
@Nutul WOW! Thanks for taking the time for this detailed reply. I now know much more than before and understand your earlier comment about USB DACs. Much appreciated.

@ovizii

I don’t know what your esthetic principles are but in our household “the fewer cables, the better” is a consideration (according to she who must be obeyed).

With a Pi DAC HAT that’s easy—-it mounts directly on the Pi and the two get encased together. With most USB DACs, there’s another case and cable and possibly a separate power adapter. Not that this is a bad thing; it may provide a nice front panel display and controls and it allows the DAC to be moved easily to different systems.

However, in one of my systems I use a Khadas Tone Board (generic edition). It’s a bare board DAC with USB and S/PDIF inputs which I can package together with a Pi. Excellent audio performance and minimal clutter so my partner and I are both happy. It costs under 100USD.

Just one more way to go in this wonderful world of audio powered by Raspberry Pi and moOde. Thanks Tim.

Regards,
Kent

https://www.khadas.com/product-page/tone-board aka Tone1

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...ost-107273

PS - somehow I managed to post only a fragment of this at first. Sorry about that.