Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

[split] Add NFS plugin to MPD compile
(06-17-2023, 02:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Here are WIP release notes for upcoming moOde 8.3.4 release (Q3 2023)

Some items on the TODO list that may get implemented include:

- Library subsets

Add capability to save Advanced searches as named "subsets" that can be subsequently chosen from a list. This would effectively provide the capability to create multiple Libraries.

- DSP for Bluetooth and Multiroom receiver

Test whether CamillaDSP can be used with Bluetooth and Multiroom receiver output.

Code:
################################################################################
#
# 2023-MM-DD TC moOde 8.3.4
#
################################################################################

Updates

- UPD: Add plus (+) entries to Prefs "Thumbgen scan" to include image types
- UPD: Add btrfs file system to udisks-glue auto-mount config (PR/631)
- UPD: Add PixelRatio to the viewport debug popup

Bug fixes

- FIX: Wrong message printed for Mixer type when USB DAC has no Hardware mixer

Any chance you can ship versions of mpd with the nfs plugin included?

https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/plu...#input-nfs

Unless i'm doing something wrong, this is why I can't use a remote moOde install as a location for my database/music.  (I can't use smb as there's a bug in libsmbclient).
Post split from the "Upcoming moOde 8.3.4" info thread
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
If you are just trying to share your music collection to multiple clients then try putting the files on a NAS and then create a Music Source (Library Config) on each client. The NAS can be one of the moOde Pi's. Turn on the NFS or SMB (Samba) server (System Config) on this Pi to enable file server capability.
Enjoy the Music!
I expect OP is trying to use the MPD satellite setup, cf his original thread  https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....8#pid47628

This requires modifying both the server moOde player and the client moOde player.

I'm away from home and using my phone so will stop here. 

Regards,
Kent
(08-03-2023, 11:21 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I expect OP is trying to use the MPD satellite setup, cf his original thread  https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....8#pid47628

This requires modifying both the server moOde player and the client moOde player.

I'm away from home and using my phone so will stop here. 

Regards,
Kent

Yes, exactly this.  I can try a beta version of mpd if this is helpful.
Satellite mode doesn't need the nfs or smb storage plugins, just the proxy database plugin that is already compiled into MPD. There was a post by user @cprogrammer that talked about this.

Just keep in mind that Satellite mode won't do anything to fix a poor performing network or slow clients and it breaks cover thumbnail generation since this requires client access to each song file in the remote file system via a local mount. Its only real purpose is administrative in nature i.e., to maintain a central remote MPD database. The downside is complex configuration and the associated difficulty in troubleshooting when things don't work.
Enjoy the Music!
(08-05-2023, 02:37 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Satellite mode doesn't need the nfs or smb storage plugins, just the proxy database plugin that is already compiled into MPD. There was a post by user @cprogrammer that talked about this.

Just keep in mind that Satellite mode won't do anything to fix a poor performing network or slow clients and it breaks cover thumbnail generation since this requires client access to each song file in the remote file system via a local mount. Its only real purpose is administrative in nature i.e., to maintain a central remote MPD database. The downside is complex configuration and the associated difficulty in troubleshooting when things don't work.

Yeah, I saw that.   My network is fine, I don't want/need thumbnails and the client is a pi zero w so....it's slow but I think it should be fast enough to stream music over a good wifi connection sustainably.

His post says:
"3) Makes configuration complicated for end users. They need to configure a network share using NFS or Samba on the server that will have the mpd database"

The server is a Pi 4 running moOde which is why I believe I need nfs enabled in mpd as both pis are going to be using it.
(08-05-2023, 04:41 PM)Sehnsucht Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 02:37 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Satellite mode doesn't need the nfs or smb storage plugins, just the proxy database plugin that is already compiled into MPD. There was a post by user @cprogrammer that talked about this.

Yeah, I saw that.   My network is fine, I don't want/need thumbnails and the client is a pi zero w so....it's slow but I think it should be fast enough to stream music over a good wifi connection sustainably.

His post says:
"3) Makes configuration complicated for end users. They need to configure a network share using NFS or Samba on the server that will have the mpd database"

The server is a Pi 4 running moOde which is why I believe I need nfs enabled in mpd as both pis are going to be using it.

I don't think you need such a thing... but you'll need 2 plugins, one of which is the database proxy.
The main difference - in speed - of the satellite mode is that the library update takes place on the server (which reads local files, hence is faster...)
The satellites only get notified and probably receive the library file). Then the NFS or SMB mount is mandatory (and has to be the same as specified in the mpd.conf for the plugins to be consistent) for reading the actual file to play.

Just try it, and see if it works.
I see nowhere (in the relevant thread) mentioned a special build of mpd for this to work.