Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Streaming Again in Los Angeles
Smile 
Hello Everyone,

My audio streaming experience dates back to about 2008, when I bought a Logitech Squeezebox Duet. It served me well until it failed quickly and gracefully during the pandemic.

I replaced it with an Allo Boss 2 running moOde, which sounds great when it works, but lately has required more maintenance per week than the Squeezebox did in a decade - which brings me to this forum.

As I research possible causes, and try to isolate the issues (such as failure to appear on the network via ethernet, taking a day to boot, if at all, etc), I hope to request specific guidance on this forum.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

UPDATE with good news: The Boss 2 Player is performing well since I started powering the RPi and Boss DAC separately - now with quick boots and responsive interface. I am running a fresh image of MoOde 8.3.0.

Perhaps the original PSU was simply dying over time, leading to many failures.

However, I may not be powering it the correct way; I am using a 3A USB-C wall charger for the RPi, and the original 3A SMPS psu for the DAC (after disconnecting the J18 jumper). The DAC alone does not need as much power as it was getting when it passed some of it along to the RPi.

Does anyone know if I am stressing the DAC, and should find a ~1A psu for it? Also, I am not using the ground screw on the bottom of the Boss 2 that would ordinarily be wired to a Nirvana power supply. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for any guidance.
Very odd to suddenly malfunction. Typically this is caused by something external to moOde software for example a hardware, power supply, network or boot media issue.

If your system still boots post the startup log via the command moodeutl -l or you can download it from the Logs section of System Config and I'll have a look.

Otherwise, if your system won't boot or is more or less dead then visit moodeaudio.org, download a fresh image and read the Setup Guide to learn how to prepare the image before writing it to an SDCard.

Btw, the Boss2 driver is broken in the 6.1 kernel that is used in our recent releases. It's been fixed by the Pi kernel devs but won't be available in moOde until they release a new kernel. You can search this Forum for "Boss 2" or something like that for a thread that contains a temporary Boss 2 fix (a development kernel from the Pi devs) that can be installed.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-24-2023, 01:27 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Very odd to suddenly malfunction. Typically this is caused by something external to moOde software for example a hardware, power supply, network or boot media issue.

If your system still boots post the startup log via the command moodeutl -l or you can download it from the Logs section of System Config and I'll have a look.

Otherwise, if your system won't boot or is more or less dead then visit moodeaudio.org, download a fresh image and read the Setup Guide to learn how to prepare the image before writing it to an SDCard.

Btw, the Boss2 driver is broken in the 6.1 kernel that is used in our recent releases. It's been fixed by the Pi kernel devs but won't be available in moOde until they release a new kernel. You can search this Forum for "Boss 2" or something like that for a thread that contains a temporary Boss 2 fix (a development kernel from the Pi devs) that can be installed.

Thank you for the reply.

The power issue (switching to dual power supplies for RPi and DAC) seem to have cleared up everything. It feels unbelievably responsive now, when previously it would rarely boot at all, after hours of trying. Pressing Restart could knock it out for days.

I came across the kernel compatibility issue in my research. I am happy to stay on version 8.3.0 for now (not needing any patches) - I was previously on 7.1.2.
Lot of people confuses regarding Amps of power supply. Voltage is what needs to be at spec. as for current, it must not be lower. You see devices takes whatever current they need at given voltage. so having 3A power supply wont harm anything, your PSU is chilling providing only up to 500mA required for DAC Smile