Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

RPi Hardware requirements Moode Audio
I tried to find the hardware requirements for Moode Audioplayer, but I could not find it. Is there an overview of which Raspberry Pi's can be used for Moode Audio? I remember having read that a Raspberry Pi 3B is fine, That one needs a Raspberry Pi 4B when you want to attach a local display. But what about the Raspberry Pi 2B, r Pi Zero or Pi Zero W? Can these be used as well? Is there a table with an overview perhaps?

We have the RPi models afaik:

• Raspberry Pi 1 B
  • Raspberry Pi 1 B+
  • Raspberry Pi 1 A+
  • Raspberry Pi 2
  • Raspberry Pi Zero
  • Raspberry Pi Zero W
  • Raspberry Pi 3
  • Raspberry Pi 3 B+
  • Raspberry Pi 3 A+
  • Raspberry Pi 4 (2, 4, 8 Gb)
  • Raspberry Pi 400
Visit the Download page at http://moodeaudio.org. Model support information is listed under each of the two download buttons.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@voorstad 

I'm a tinkerer and have built up quite an inventory of different model RPis for various projects over time. 

I gave away all my early RPi 1 and RPi 2 boards to a local high school club some years ago. I still have one RPi Zero W and one or two each of the RPi Zero 2W, RPi3A+, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPi4B, CM4, and Pi 400 sitting close at hand.

I can boot and run moOde on any of these (the Zero W can boot and run only the Legacy build). Whenever Tim is in the process of releasing a new version of moOde I and others of his merry band make a point of testing this.

[Personal opinion follows]

I believe the Zero 2W and the 3A+ make nice choices for small, low-power players, while the RPi 3B+ and RPi4B models are a great choice for players to which I want to add software/hardware bells and whistles.

I wouldn't waste time with an RPi 1. I might consider the v1.2 model of the RPi 2 (which introduced a 64-bit CPU) but IMHO it's really behind the performance curve. Similarly, the Zero W works but I consider it behind the performance curve.

Yes, I've run moOde on my Pi 400 but that's just because it's there. It's too valuable as a general-purpose computer to dedicate to moOde. Similarly, moOde runs on my CM4 (on a Raspberry Pi CM4 IO Board), but I bought it with other projects in mind.

My two "always on" moOde players are built on an RPi3B+ with Raspberry Pi 7" LCD display and an RPi 3A+ while all my experimentation is done on the RPi4Bs.

I've used both DAC HATs and USB DACs and, to my aging ears at least, they all perform very well.

To quote Tim's byline, "enjoy the music!"

Regards,
Kent
Thanks! I dived into the Setup Guide, Quick Help, Release info and Moode Forum to find the info, seems it is mentioned just below the big download buttons!!

moOde 8.3.5 (64-bit) For models 3B/3B+, 3A+, 4, 400, CM3/CM3+ CM4, Zero 2W

moOde 8.3.5 (Legacy) For all Raspberry Pi models
I have been using a Zero W with 8.3.5 legacy (lower noise with an I2S DAC without isolator), and it works very well. Just don't give it more commands when the activity LED is already flashing. The single core processor will eventually work through the task list. Updating my large library takes quite a while, but other than that even the Zero W works very well with Moode.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
@TheOldPresbyope do you have a view on the optimal memory for a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 1,2, 4 or 8GB?
Thanks
(12-09-2023, 05:28 PM)ycnalgm Wrote: @TheOldPresbyope do you have a view on the optimal memory for a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 1,2, 4 or 8GB?
Thanks

For the most part, I'm running vanilla moOde players with either DAC HATs or USB DACs and not making extraordinary demands in terms of CamillaDSP processing or other memory-intensive tasks. I find even the 512MB model Pis, such as my favorite, the 3A+, are adequate.

A Pi 4B 1GB model works for me; a Pi 4B 2GB model has more than enough headroom; and the 4GB and 8GB models are overkill for playing music IMHO.

I do not try to make the Pis serve multiple purposes by loading other programs to run along-side moOde. That could increase the demand for memory but how much depends on specifics.

Building the software is a different matter. More memory almost always pays.

Regards,
Kent
Many thanks