Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Two questions
I have been using moOde for some time now, and I am very happy with how it works and with the support I find in this forum.

I have a couple of questions on very different topics that I've wanted to ask for a long time.

1) When I need to align the contents of my NAS to moOde, I launch the update library function and everything is updated correctly and quickly. I wonder what happens to thumbnails. Obviously, if it wasn't there, now it is, but, for example, if before I had a 300x300 one, and now a 1000x1000 one, even if I view it at the highest possible definition, which is 600x600 (the one I set), the thumbnail is generated from the newest one (1000), or remains the previous one (300). Is the replacement performed with update library? Does running a library update make thumbnail regeneration useless? What does thumbnail regeneration do that update library doesn't?

2) Camilla DSP. I can't figure out how to use it. I have a lot of confusion in my head, perhaps because I have not understood what it is for and what it does. I have seen that it is gaining more and more space within moOde, but the fact remains that I haven't found an easily understandable user guide (for dummies) on the web. Camilla, I believe, should correct the sound in the listening environment, but measuring tools would be needed to determine the corrections to be made, which few people have, so what's the point of all the space and importance that is given to Camilla, (very sophisticated tool that exists in a better hardware version)? Wouldn't a 20 band equalizer be more useful? Is Camilla only useful for headphones? Which approach can be advisable?

thx
v.
(08-30-2023, 06:21 PM)Venerdi Wrote: I have been using moOde for some time now, and I am very happy with how it works and with the support I find in this forum.

I have a couple of questions on very different topics that I've wanted to ask for a long time.

1) When I need to align the contents of my NAS to moOde, I launch the update library function and everything is updated correctly and quickly. I wonder what happens to thumbnails. Obviously, if it wasn't there, now it is, but, for example, if before I had a 300x300 one, and now a 1000x1000 one, even if I view it at the highest possible definition, which is 600x600 (the one I set), the thumbnail is generated from the newest one (1000), or remains the previous one (300). Is the replacement performed with update library? Does running a library update make thumbnail regeneration useless? What does thumbnail regeneration do that update library doesn't?

2) Camilla DSP. I can't figure out how to use it. I have a lot of confusion in my head, perhaps because I have not understood what it is for and what it does. I have seen that it is gaining more and more space within moOde, but the fact remains that I haven't found an easily understandable user guide (for dummies) on the web. Camilla, I believe, should correct the sound in the listening environment, but measuring tools would be needed to determine the corrections to be made, which few people have, so what's the point of all the space and importance that is given to Camilla, (very sophisticated tool that exists in a better hardware version)? Wouldn't a 20 band equalizer be more useful? Is Camilla only useful for headphones? Which approach can be advisable?

thx
v.

Hi,

1. if a thumbnail is present, it won't be generated; to have the new one show up you need to rebuild the thumbnail cache (and it can take a while)

2. thumbnail generation does exactly what its name implies: it generates the thumbnails, update library, similarly, updates the MPD music database with the new albums/tracks you added; it then runs the thumbnail generator, which will generate the missing images.

Bare in mind that even if regenerating the thumbnails from scratch, you could still be seeing the old image, cached by the browser; so it's always convenient to clear the browser's cache in these scenarios.

Concerning Camilla DSP I cannot help you; never used so far, even if I do want to try it out.
Your best bet for CamillsDSP info is the main thread in diyAudio.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threa...st-7434712

Read through some of it and you will get a sense of how it's being used but basically it's a powerful, general purpose digital signal processing tool for audio that can perform among other things EQ, Loudness, resampling, multi I-O routing, 64-bit Volume and much more. Common usage scenarios are Room Correction, Headphone EQ, Active Crossovers.

It's a fantastic work of software engineering by Henrik Enquist and one of the most important Open Source audio projects :-)
Integration into moOde is compliments of @bitlab :-)
Automatic format switching is compliments of @seashell creator of the alsa_cdsp output plugin.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-30-2023, 08:26 PM)Nutul Wrote: Hi,

1. if a thumbnail is present, it won't be generated; to have the new one show up you need to rebuild the thumbnail cache (and it can take a while)

2. thumbnail generation does exactly what its name implies: it generates the thumbnails, update library, similarly, updates the MPD music database with the new albums/tracks you added; it then runs the thumbnail generator, which will generate the missing images.

Bare in mind that even if regenerating the thumbnails from scratch, you could still be seeing the old image, cached by the browser; so it's always convenient to clear the browser's cache in these scenarios.

Concerning Camilla DSP I cannot help you; never used so far, even if I do want to try it out.

Thanks Nutul
Comprehension test:
Update library never replaces a thumbnail because it doesn't verify the definition. It creates it if it's not there.
Thumbnail generation instead regenerates them all.

(08-30-2023, 10:37 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Your best bet for CamillsDSP info is the main thread in diyAudio.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threa...st-7434712

Read through some of it and you will get a sense of how it's being used but basically it's a powerful, general purpose digital signal processing tool for audio that can perform among other things EQ, Loudness, resampling, multi I-O routing, 64-bit Volume and much more. Common usage scenarios are Room Correction, Headphone EQ, Active Crossovers.

It's a fantastic work of software engineering by Henrik Enquist and one of the most important Open Source audio projects :-)
Integration into moOde is compliments of @bitlab :-)
Automatic format switching is compliments of @seashell creator of the alsa_cdsp output plugin.

Dear Tim, I know your enthusiasm for Camilla. I've always seen how much you like Camilla, so much so that I thought you're more interested Heart in Camilla than moOde.  Big Grin
I know the link you wrote me, but it's very technical and it's already more than 200 pages. I don't understand too much of what they write.
I've read in other forums, even here in Italy, where people using moOde don't understand where to start with Camilla, what are the parameters to try, what is important, what is not, how to replace the equalizer with Camilla, what are convolution files, what the Pipeline editor does...... etc
I've been trying to figure this out:
https://www.bitlab.nl/page_id=665
or
https://www.bitlab.nl/blog
but the tests I did didn't work.
I was wondering if anyone in this forum could create an easy to understand guide, what parameters to start trying...
Thanks anyway for your usual availability. Smile 
v.
You could start by describing what you want to do as far as DSP goes for example do you want to do some sort of EQ? The dedicated Parametric and Graphic EQ's might be all thats needed in that case.

If you do want to explore CamillaDSP then try the following:

1. Audio Config
SET CamillaDSP to "Peq 10 band"
-- Return to Playback view and start something playing
-- Then return to Audio Config
EDIT CamillaDSP settings

2. CamillaDSP Config
Pipeline editor ON
OPEN

3. Pipeline editor
Click the Filters tab
Adjust the gain on some of the frequency bands or on the pregain filter.
Click the "Apply to DSP" button to hear the effect the changes have on the sound

If you want to make your own Parametric EQ with fewer than 10 bands, lets say 3 bands then return to CamillaDSP Config and in the Pipeline section select "Peq 10 band" and COPY it to a new name then scroll up to the top and select the new name from the "Signal processing" dropdown and then SAVE. Open the Pipeline editor, click the Filters tab and delete bands 04 - 10. Make adjustments to the bands 01 - 03 and pregain and then click the "Save to file" button.

Something like that.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Tim's point about knowing what you want to do is important.  The answer to "what can I do with Camilla" is "almost anything", the question "how do I do this" is much easier to answer.
For example, I thought that the parametric EQ was too technical for me until I discovered headphone EQ profiles, at which point I learned how it worked because I had a thing I wanted to achieve with it. I then thought Camilla was too technical until I discovered I could combine my EQ profile with a crossfeed in there, and suddenly I worked that out as well.
So, CamillaDSP is very useful and powerful, but only if you have use for it.  AirPlay support is also very useful, but I don't have Apple, so not for me Smile
----------------
Robert
(08-31-2023, 08:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You could start by describing what you want to do as far as DSP goes for example do you want to do some sort of EQ? The dedicated Parametric and Graphic EQ's might be all thats needed in that case.

If you do want to explore CamillaDSP then try the following:

1. Audio Config
SET CamillaDSP to "Peq 10 band"
-- Return to Playback view and start something playing
-- Then return to Audio Config
EDIT CamillaDSP settings

2. CamillaDSP Config
Pipeline editor ON
OPEN

3. Pipeline editor
Click the Filters tab
Adjust the gain on some of the frequency bands or on the pregain filter.
Click the "Apply to DSP" button to hear the effect the changes have on the sound

If you want to make your own Parametric EQ with fewer than 10 bands, lets say 3 bands then return to CamillaDSP Config and in the Pipeline section select "Peq 10 band" and COPY it to a new name then scroll up to the top and select the new name from the "Signal processing" dropdown and then SAVE. Open the Pipeline editor, click the Filters tab and delete bands 04 - 10. Make adjustments to the bands 01 - 03 and pregain and then click the "Save to file" button.

Something like that.

@Tim I don't know what to say... thanks!

These few indications were enough to start my approach with Camilla. it is as if some pieces of a puzzle have found their place. I played with it a bit, and I understood some basic things and a new world opened up in front of me. I understood that Camilla is an impressive job for how many things it can do and now I understand your enthusiasm. Of course, it's not simple; there are so many things that i would like to understand, but already like this, with peq 10 band and the possibility to set some parameters, the result is better than moOde's equalizer. There will be more questions in a while... ...ehehehe
Thanks again!

(09-01-2023, 07:08 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Tim's point about knowing what you want to do is important.  The answer to "what can I do with Camilla" is "almost anything", the question "how do I do this" is much easier to answer.
For example, I thought that the parametric EQ was too technical for me until I discovered headphone EQ profiles, at which point I learned how it worked because I had a thing I wanted to achieve with it. I then thought Camilla was too technical until I discovered I could combine my EQ profile with a crossfeed in there, and suddenly I worked that out as well.
So, CamillaDSP is very useful and powerful, but only if you have use for it.  AirPlay support is also very useful, but I don't have Apple, so not for me Smile

@Robert, you are right. What I want is to get a sound that pleases my ears…

Anyway, I agree. If the use made of it is basic, it is not difficult to understand. I've had a hardware parametric equalizer in the past, a SAE 180, and I was always tweaking something...

v.
I'm glad you are finding you way with it. Want a 100 band PEQ? you can have it Smile
----------------
Robert