Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Raspberry Pi OS 12 (Bookworm) released
(10-26-2023, 01:29 PM)steve4star Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 12:45 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 11:41 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @tomaxsas 

Thanks for keeping me honest!

I was being lazy and using the only system with an official screen and it happened to be packaged with a Pi3B+.

Not to worry. This AM I swapped the uSD card to a Pi4B, plugged in an HDMI display, and rebooted. Once the dust had settled the moodeaudio.org homepage was once again being displayed.

As far as I can tell, only the full Bookworm image and not the lite image make this an issue. For example, my pi400 is running full Bookworm and clearly is using Wayland.

On the Bookworm lite install, no wayland executables are present (ETA- and only the X11 packages I installed) and the chromium-browser process declares "----ozone-platform=x11".

Regards,
Kent

Thats definitely good news for the near term :-) There will be plenty of time in 2024 to test Wayland in place of X11 and see how much change is needed.

I noticed that the tvservice binary is not part of Bookworm Lite. It's used to turn the HDMI port on/off in Bullseye.

Looks like they are moving to KMS…
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=358424

Yes, the engineer mentions 

"tvservice cannot work on the Pi5, we are moving to KMS and the appropriate and more standard Linux command that go with it."

But does not say what the standard Linux command is...

And as long as he is mentioning the Pi5 it begs the question of whether X11 on Bookworm Lite will even work on a Pi5.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
This same uSD card will go into the Pi5 that USPS now says will be in my doorstep by tomorrow night. I'm all a-tingle Tongue

I don't have a clue about kms modetest. I'll dig deeper into my Pi400 tonight.

Regards,
Kent
(10-26-2023, 02:56 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: This same uSD card will go into the Pi5 that USPS now says will be in my doorstep by tomorrow night. I'm all a-tingle Tongue

Regards,
Kent

I wish I could be there with you, tinkering with the Pi, tomorrow night... Unfortunately, I have a family dinner, so not a chance. :-D
(10-26-2023, 02:56 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: This same uSD card will go into the Pi5 that USPS now says will be in my doorstep by tomorrow night. I'm all a-tingle Tongue

Regards,
Kent

Cool. Did you also order the Pi cooler?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-26-2023, 11:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

Cool. Did you also order the Pi cooler?

Just the official case with built-in fan (and heat sinks?). Also the 27w power pack.

Regards,
Kent

PS I also pre-ordered an 8GB version from Sparkfun at the same time. They’ve already burned through their first allotment of Pi5s and are hoping those of us waiting will understand and be patient. At the time I did all this Chicago Electronic Distributers hadn’t yet opened their pre-orderin process. No idea how PiShop.us is dealing with regular pre-orders. I’ve placed orders with all of these vendors (and Newark/Element14) in the past.
(10-26-2023, 02:59 PM)Nutul Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

I wish I could be there with you, tinkering with the Pi, tomorrow night... Unfortunately, I have a family dinner, so not a chance. :-D

Family dinner...?  They could have Pi 'too' Wink   (or Pi Five lol)

Enjoy your evening... there will be plenty of time for Pi later.

Best,
Bob
----------
bob
(10-27-2023, 05:08 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Family dinner...?  They could have Pi 'too' Wink   (or Pi Five lol)

LOL
(10-27-2023, 05:30 AM)Nutul Wrote:
(10-27-2023, 05:08 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Family dinner...?  They could have Pi 'too' Wink   (or Pi Five lol)

LOL

Family always comes first in my book too.

Not to worry, there's lots of mischief in RPiOS Bookworm left to uncover and work with/around.

Regards,
Kent
(10-26-2023, 02:56 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: ...

Regards,
Kent

Yeah, modetest (which had been suggested in the linked Raspberry Pi Forum post) seems to be a red herring for the purpose of disablng/enabling HDMI. Wading my way through docs in various places 'cuz, you know, real men don't ask for directions Smile

Regards,
Kent
Switching horses for a bit, I'm wondering how much longer we'll use hostapd.

True, hostapd is available in the RPiOS Bookworm distro but nmcli also can bring up the WiFi interface in AP mode and provide open, WEP, and WPA-PSK authentication.

nmcli is a bit of a Swiss Army knife when it comes to networking; an advantage to using it is all the configuration-related stuff is kept under one roof. nmcli can switch among the defined connections with a single command.

Case in point:

At the moment, my pi400 has two WiFi connections defined: blitch, which is my LAN AP SSID, and blonch, which is the SSID I defined for the pi400 in AP mode (SSIDs changed to protect the innocent).

With the pi400 WiFi interface in infrastructure mode and connected to the LAN AP, I can switch the interface to AP mode simply by entering

Code:
sudo nmcli connection up blonch

and similarly to switch back to bletch in infrastructure mode.

If an Ethernet connection happens to be present, it remains up.

Cool beans.

Regards,
Kent