Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: [split] MPD Error -Permission denied
I read this thread with interest, but I have a slightly different MPD problem.

I tried to play FLAC files last night from a USB memory stick and get the following MPD error(s):
Failed to open, and
Permission denied

The FLAC files were ripped from CD long ago and copied unto the USB memory stick, using Windows. I ordered the files under my own created File Folder names. So, Moode can read the USB drive, list all the FLAC files and even give the Meta Data (I think that is what it is called), but cannot play the files.

Any suggestions, or must I start a new thread?
(11-02-2023, 09:34 AM)Tillerman Wrote: I read this thread with interest, but I have a slightly different MPD problem.

I tried to play FLAC files last night from a USB memory stick and get the following MPD error(s):
Failed to open, and
Permission denied

The FLAC files were ripped from CD long ago and copied unto the USB memory stick, using Windows. I ordered the files under my own created File Folder names. So, Moode can read the USB drive, list all the FLAC files and even give the Meta Data (I think that is what it is called), but cannot play the files.

Any suggestions, or must I start a new thread?

Hi,

can you provide us with the result of the following commands, from inside the directory where your files are?
Code:
ls -la

mount

df -h
What file system format (fat32, exfat, ntfs, etc) is the USB drive?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-02-2023, 01:58 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What file system format (fat32, exfat, ntfs, etc) is the USB drive?

Not sure Tim, I suspect it's fat32 - will check tonight.
What should it be?
Fat32 is best in my experience.

Also as @Nutul suggested, run the ls -al command in one of the directories containing song files. It will show the file perrmissions and whether there are hidden files.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-02-2023, 09:34 AM)Tillerman Wrote: ...

So, Moode can read the USB drive, list all the FLAC files and even give the Meta Data (I think that is what it is called), but cannot play the files.

This is curious. I assume by "list all" you mean you can go to the Library folder view and drill down to the directory in question and see the tracks listed. Similarly, by "even give the Meta Data" you mean you can click on a track and open the Audio info popup and see Album, etc., information. Right?

The ability to do those actions implies certain conditions must hold true for the file and directory permissions but just for completeness how about also executing 'ls -la' in the directory containing your file directory.

Another random thought---you have played these files successfully on another computer, right?

Regards,
Kent

PS - what does the MPD log say beyond what you see in the popup? Look at /var/log/mpd/log after playing, say, Tim's Stereo Test file, then one of your problematic files, then the Stereo Test file. 

For example, here's the relevant lines in my log after doing this with a problematic .dsf file (different problem but sufficient to demonstrate the log)

Code:
Nov 02 11:52 : player: played "SDCARD/Stereo Test/LRMonoPhase4.flac"
Nov 02 11:52 : exception: Failed to open "ALSA Default" (alsa); Error opening ALSA device "_audioout"; snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Invalid argument
Nov 02 11:52 : exception: Failed to open "ALSA Default" (alsa); Error opening ALSA device "_audioout"; snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Invalid argument
Nov 02 11:52 : player: problems opening audio device while playing "NAS/OMV-Test/Mostly-Piano_Ashokan-Farewell/Mostly Piano - 10 - Ashokan Farewell - DSD256.dsf"
Nov 02 11:53 : player: played "SDCARD/Stereo Test/LRMonoPhase4.flac"
(11-02-2023, 03:58 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(11-02-2023, 09:34 AM)Tillerman Wrote: ...

So, Moode can read the USB drive, list all the FLAC files and even give the Meta Data (I think that is what it is called), but cannot play the files.

This is curious. I assume by "list all" you mean you can go to the Library folder view and drill down to the directory in question and see the tracks listed. Similarly, by "even give the Meta Data" you mean you can click on a track and open the Audio info popup and see Album, etc., information. Right?
Correct. I also found this strange, but the solution was simple  Smile

Thank you all for your fast responses and help. I had some time this weekend to play around. I first formatted a different flash drive to FAT32 and copied only one FLAC file – it played perfectly. I then copied all my FLAC files onto this flash drive, and they all play perfectly. Problem solved.

So, what was the solution? Very simple – you must run “Update Library” after inserting a new storage device, or even if some files were added or deleted since the last update.
I suspect I never ran the “Update Library” option when I tested the USB flash drive for the first time.

Thank you for a fantastic product – I love Moode. I’m now also in love with FLAC files – they sound so much better than Spotify streams.