Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: "Full Screen" Menu Option
@TamedShrew

Interesting discussion that may lead to improvements..

FYI,  for at least several releases of Android on the various Google phones I’ve owned, the <hostname>.local addressing mode works in browsers (Chrome, Firefox, …).

Right now I have a Pixel 6a running Android 14.

I can’t find my notes of when mDNS started working in  browsers and I can’t say if other Android makers like Samsung have carried it into their versions.

The frustrating thing was that even relatively early versions of Android supported mDNS, just not in browsers.

Regards,
Kent
(11-03-2023, 12:09 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @TamedShrew

FYI,  for at least several releases of Android on the various Google phones I’ve owned, the <hostname>.local addressing mode works in browsers (Chrome, Firefox, …).

@TheOldPresbyope

Thanks for the heads up - I'd pretty much given up waiting for that.

I've just tried it on a work Android Tablet and it works. The interwebs seem to suggest it was put in for Android 12 - the tablet is Android 11.
(11-07-2023, 10:50 AM)TamedShrew Wrote:
(11-03-2023, 12:09 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @TamedShrew

@TheOldPresbyope

Thanks for the heads up - I'd pretty much given up waiting for that.

I've just tried it on a work Android Tablet and it works. The interwebs seem to suggest it was put in for Android 12 - the tablet is Android 11.

Sick enough of everybody taking its word for it... JFC!
(11-07-2023, 01:34 PM)Nutul Wrote: Sick enough of everybody taking its word for it... JFC!

Indeed. And just to further confuse, my wife's phone is Android 12 and mDNS doesn't work on it.
(11-07-2023, 04:55 PM)TamedShrew Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 01:34 PM)Nutul Wrote: Sick enough of everybody taking its word for it... JFC!

Indeed. And just to further confuse, my wife's phone is Android 12 and mDNS doesn't work on it.

FWIW, mDNS is not working on any phone, but on the router... Then, if the phones are making fun of it, this I cannot tell, but...
In the end, get your IP and be done with it, all the rest is just topping on the cake.
Quote:...mDNS is not working on any phone, but on the router.

Huh?

mDNS is not a routable protocol nor is it managed by a router.

Drawing on Wikipedia

Quote:When an mDNS client needs to resolve a hostname, it sends an IP multicast query message that asks the host having that name to identify itself. That target machine then multicasts a message that includes its IP address. All machines in that subnet can then use that information to update their mDNS caches. Any host can relinquish its claim to a name by sending a response packet with a time to live (TTL) equal to zero.

By default, mDNS exclusively resolves hostnames ending with the .local top-level domain. This can cause problems if .local includes hosts that do not implement mDNS but that can be found via a conventional unicast DNS server. Resolving such conflicts requires network-configuration changes that mDNS was designed to avoid.

It was truly frustrating that the AndroidOS itself supported mDNS-function calls from early on but for some reason the Google folks didn't make them accessible from the search bar of their internet browsers. Ain't life wonderful?

Regards,
Kent
(11-07-2023, 08:27 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: mDNS is not a routable protocol nor is it managed by a router.
Ooops, I thought they identified to the router broadcasting the name around, didn't think about a machine-to-machine broadcasting, though... proved wrong.
Android is a special case. As usual.