Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Power down or Power cut?
hey, is it damaging to Moode to suddenly cut the power of the RPi it is running on? Or is that fine?

Asking because I can use the USB port on my AMP as a powersource for the Pi so it boots when I switch on the amp, and is turned off when the amp is off.
I've never had an issue after just pulling the plug or having power cut as a result of a power outage, but there is nothing explicitly implemented in moOde/RaspiOS for the abrupt power cut scenario for example by running the entire OS in RAM or running the OS as read-only.

There is a thread somewhere in the Forum with a recipe for running moOde under the overlayfs read-only file system which IIRC works but has not been reproduced and tested by others.

The main drawback to RAM / read-only mode's for OS's is that you have to go through hoops and revert to read-write mode every time a setting or option is changed, then revert back to read-only mode. IMO it's a convenience killer plus added complexity without a matching compensating benefit.

I've been using WD Purple QD101 surveillance-grade uSD cards and have not had a single issue or borked card in years.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088CD...UTF8&psc=1
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
If you remember first to use mooDe’s m>power>shutdown button you should be good even with sketchy uSD cards.

Like Tim, I’ve never borked a memory card by abruptly killing the power on a moOde player. I use mostly SanDisk Ultras. I have managed to break a card physically but that’s another story Tongue

Of course there is a remote possibility of catching Linux at just the wrong moment. One can keep a backup copy against that possibility.

Also, IIRC, very early model Pi’s did have an issue with killing memory cards but that was years ago.

Regards,
Kent
Quote:"If you remember first to use mooDe’s m>power>shutdown button you should be good even with sketchy uSD cards."

Yeah, so the use case is explicitly one where I would not be doing this.
I'll just see how far I get with this method... The card in use is an oldie anyway, and replacing it won't be a lot of pain.

Volumio claims that it "does not need this: the system runs on RAM, and SD Card is written only when saving settings". But I see that experiences vary....