Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: SSD Media / System Partition Issues
I think I could've named the subject something better. I'll change it if something comes to mind ;-)

I've had a look through the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer to my query/issue. My apologies if I've missed something. If I have, I'd be obliged for a link to the solution.

I'm building a system for a friend as he's spent a load of money on various streamers and has seen mine work well. So now he wants one.

System:
  • RPi 3b
  • SSD external USB 512MB Apacer - (yes Black Friday deal)
I've installed the latest mOode build as of 30th. Nov 23. The idea was to have local media on the drive along with the system. I've tried partitioning the drive, but the system doesn't boot up at all. So I'm back to one system partition.

BTW I'm using a crApple MacBook Pro for the installation. Reason I mention this is that it doesn't have a fully functional disc partition app. I used a Windows machine to partition the drive.

My thanks for your help and time.
(11-30-2023, 12:20 AM)japumpy Wrote: I think I could've named the subject something better. I'll change it if something comes to mind ;-)

I've had a look through the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer to my query/issue. My apologies if I've missed something. If I have, I'd be obliged for a link to the solution.

I'm building a system for a friend as he's spent a load of money on various streamers and has seen mine work well. So now he wants one.

System:
  • RPi 3b
I've installed the latest mOode build as of 30th. Nov 23. The idea was to have local media on the drive along with the system. I've tried partitioning the drive, but the system doesn't boot up at all. So I'm back to one system partition.

BTW I'm using a crApple MacBook Pro for the installation. Reason I mention this is that it doesn't have a fully functional disc partition app. I used a Windows machine to partition the drive.

If you flash the image on a HDD or SSD the relevant partitions will be created for you.
Then, on first launch the unused space will be reclained and the second partition extended to fill the drive up, and that's where you'll then copy all your music.
Don't forget to use the RPi imager, and specify username + password BEFORE flashing.
(11-30-2023, 12:44 AM)Nutul Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 12:20 AM)japumpy Wrote: I think I could've named the subject something better. I'll change it if something comes to mind ;-)

System:
  • RPi 3b

If you flash the image on a HDD or SSD the relevant partitions will be created for you.
Then, on first launch the unused space will be reclained and the second partition extended to fill the drive up, and that's where you'll then copy all your music.
Don't forget to use the RPi imager, and specify username + password BEFORE flashing.
Quick report back.

Disk Utility in Mac OS states that there is one partition of around 231MB of which around 32MB is used by the system. 
There doesn't appear to be any other partition as reported by this app.

Will I need to create another partition? The last time I did I 'expletives deleted' it up. ;-) This was using a Win 11 machine.
(11-30-2023, 01:32 AM)japumpy Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 12:44 AM)Nutul Wrote:

System:
  • RPi 3b

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
On first boot, I noticed that the system was being extended. I wasn't aware that there was another partition and I haven't noticed this. I will check again, however, and report back.
I also did apply a username and password, but I did use Balena Etcher from memory. I was writing other SDCards at the time using the Rpi Imager so can't fully recall what I used.

(11-30-2023, 01:36 AM)japumpy Wrote: but I did use Balena Etcher from memory.
I am not familiar with it, but if it allows the same level of pre-configuration you should be good to go.
If any blocked / inaccessible functionalities in the UI arise, especially in the configuration pages, that's a signal the image has not been configured as it should (hence, re-do it with RPi Imager)
Then, place all your music in the new partition, at least under a "Music" folder, and from within moOde, do a Library update.
(11-30-2023, 01:44 AM)Nutul Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 01:36 AM)japumpy Wrote: but I did use Balena Etcher from memory.
I am not familiar with it, but if it allows the same level of pre-configuration you should be good to go.
If any blocked / inaccessible functionalities in the UI arise, especially in the configuration pages, that's a signal the image has not been configured as it should (hence, re-do it with RPi Imager)
Then, place all your music in the new partition, at least under a "Music" folder, and from within moOde, do a Library update.

Thank you, sir. I shall redo it and report back.

It's good to have such a helpful community. :-)
nix the Balena Etcher.:-(
Use the RPI-imager :-)
@japumpy 

I agree with the "use the Raspberry Pi Imager" sentiment because that's taking the path of least resistance.

If you absolutely need to use Balena Etcher, dd, or any other program that merely flashes a system image to a uSD card, SSD, or whatever, then I suggest you check my earlier thread HowTo: Install moOde without ...." 

As an additional point, however, I think you should strongly consider *not* flashing moOde to your SSD. Instead, flash it to a modest capacity uSD card (8GB to 16GB works handily).

My reason is simple: You want to treat the SSD strictly as a data disk, just as most NAS software would.

Occasionally one has to reflash the boot and root file systems, either because something bad happened to the OS or because the moOde update process can't always be accomplished entirely from within a running moOde player. (Who knows. You might, *cough*,  even want to try different players for fun.)

This reflashing will wipe out everything on the system disk, including those gigabytes of music tracks if they've been added to it.

Regards,
Kent
@TheOldPresbyope My apologies for my late reply to this thread. Health issues!

I followed your sage instructions using Rpi Imager and referred to your comprehensive thread, for which I thank you. There are lots to learn! The result was, I'm afraid, the same. My main reason for using the SSD as a moOde drive is to improve performance. In the past, I have had major lag issues with the system. It seems this was down to uSD not being suitable for random access such as an SSD. I've similar issues with a USB stick (same reason).

I have actually used other players; however, I do prefer moOde overall. I think the community is also fun to deal with.

I'm sad to say I'm a little bit stuck.