Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

URL's for BBC Radio Stations
Hi

I am in the UK and here the BBC has been closing down their radio feeds via URL and instead asking everyone to use their BBC Sounds App. This has caused some problems for users like me who have built RPI based internet radios.

However I use the Moode Radio list a lot and I wondered why BBC Radio 3 and BBC 5 Live on Moode are working so well. So today I checked, for the first time, the URL Moode is using. I have never seen this URL before so I tried to find out more. But if you put akamaized.net into a browser and search you get nothing but security flags! It seems this "site" is associated with viruses and neither Firefox or Chrome wanted anything to do with it!

I am not sure what level of risk, if any, this is. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

Fred
Akamai is a global Content Distribution Network (CDN). It's not a website.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Tim Curtis

Akamai is a global Content Distribution Network (CDN). It's not a website.

Ah, thanks. I understood a few companies have access to the BBC's new streaming radio and I thought (guessed) they were all radio internet providers like Skytune.net.

So when akamaized.net gave me malware flags I was surprised. Oddly I can't get the akamaized.net address for BBC 5 to work - I put it into VLC and it just says playback failed.

Just an update: BBC 5 does work - I had a typo in the VLC address. However I then hit the classic BBC 5 message - this broadcast is not available due to rights restrictions! If fails in Moode with this error too.

Thanks again.

Fred
(12-16-2023, 05:25 PM)feh123 Wrote: However I then hit the classic BBC 5 message - this broadcast is not available due to rights restrictions! If fails in Moode with this error too.

You'll get that occasionally when BBC's sporting rights don't allow them to stream certain sporting fixtures and can only broadcast them through FM/DAB/Satellite/Freeview, so they just broadcast an audio message on streams
Thanks @lakeuk . I know this is a bit off topic for Moode but the list of radio stations is great. Even when their music content is low!
(12-19-2023, 01:45 PM)feh123 Wrote: Thanks @lakeuk . I know this is a bit off topic for Moode but the list of radio stations is great. Even when their music content is low!

There's more to it,
recently BBC changed the technology of their streaming services (partly to get revenue, partly to save on bandwidth I believe, although this may be questionable in terms of tech needs...), so that their streams do not work on a regular browser (and same goes to MPD).

I remember a few weeks ago a fellow member came out with some stream URIs that (still? for how long?) work; cannot find the thread / post now (because I am fundamentally lazy, that's it), but shall you want, info is out there.

I do expect, though, sooner or later, all of BBC to be restricted, by protocol / app / registration fees / geographic location (that is: inside or not the UK boundaries)
The BBC station in moOde 8.3.7 have the updated BBC stream links and so far work fine.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-19-2023, 02:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The BBC station in moOde 8.3.7 have the updated BBC stream links and so far work fine.

Then this is just one (early) flag that things sooner or later will get worst:
Quote:Just an update: BBC 5 does work - I had a typo in the VLC address. However I then hit the classic BBC 5 message - this broadcast is not available due to rights restrictions! If fails in Moode with this error too.
I've taken a quick turn through all the BBC URLs in moOde and they all work fine for me in the UK.
----------------
Robert