Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Moodeaudio: GeekWorm NASPi 2.0, SSD, USB DAC Topping D10s. Best option in my opinion.
Finally, someone thought of a sensible case for the Raspberry Pi: GeekWorm NASPi 2.0. 

All sockets are moved to the back wall. No cables stretching from different sides of the housing. The front panel is only a midroSD card slot, a power button and LED lights. Metal housing but includes actuator panels to provide WiFi and Bluetooth signals. The basic element is a PLCB with an interface for a SATA hard disk up to 9 mm thick. The second PCB is a bridge transferring the side HDMI and power sockets to the rear panel of the housing. The set also includes a fan, but I decided not to install it. 

The whole thing works great as a small network player. I use an external USB DC (Topping D10s - the best value for money) because an external DAC is still the only reasonable option for Raspberry Pi considering the errors in the driver for the most popular series of HAT DAC extensions based on PCM5102, PCM5122 or PCM5142 systems (forcing automute during silence resulting in crackling between songs). A dedicated, efficient 5V power supply is available for this housing. 

In my case, such a player is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable and instead of a remote control I use a wired mouse because it is the most convenient way to use the moodeaudio GUI. I sincerely recommend this solution of a player based on Moodeaudio to everyone. I am attaching maketing materials and photos of my modest set.

My audio set, Moodeaudio on Raspberry Pi in NASPi 2.0 with SATA SSD HDD , external USB DAC, wireless mouse (and my DIY hybud amplfier, elecrn tubes + class D):

GeekWorm NASPi 2.0 marketing infos:

I can second the recommendation for the NASPi 2.0. I've had one running as my music server for just 2 years now, and it's a very good piece of kit. I'm running 2 instances of MinimServer on a Pi 4B 2GB, booting from microSD, and with a 512GB Lexar SSD for music files. I have the fan connected, with its control utility, and it's pretty much silent, keeping the CPU around 50degC.

GeekWorm also have the DACPi, which houses a Pi 4B with a large passive heatsink and a side-mounted PCM5122 DAC HAT, which I have been using with moOde for nearly a year. I have used a number of PCM51xx DACs, including the TAS5756 with Class D power amp, and never heard anything unpleasant between tracks.

Colin